Postby earthdog70 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:06 am

Here's my review of this past Tuesday's show:

http://sheamagazine.com/x-live-sinclair-cambridge-ma/

:bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: X in Cambridge

Postby john stabb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:44 pm

Nice review, e-dog & congrats on the new review gig :!: Do they pay ya or is it just fun thing? Man, I have still not seen X live but seeing the recent clip: Zoom comes off as an Automaton @ Disneyworld & I know that must have been the ultimate meticulous pain in the ass for someone to make sure there wasn't even 1 staple or whatever on that stage so Exene could do her set barefoot. That shit annoyed me when Henry did it in Black Flag and always want to step pn someone's precious feet when seeing it at a gig :!:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Nice review, edog. I saw them in New York a little over a week ago and they played Under the Big Black Sun in its entirety. Honestly, I had a great time, but this show reminded me of why I generally don't like full album shows that much. It just felt stilted and mechanical compared to the encores, when they really ripped and let go and were just firing on all cylinders. And they really goofed up the title track of UtBBs, which is a sentimental favorite of mine as it's the first song I knowingly heard. They had to restart it twice! But anyway, I still had a great time, the venue was terrific and I do wish they'd do a few songs acoustically from the later records (had to leave one of their shows early when they did do this and I still feel kinda bad about it). And the only time I saw them with Gilkyson was on Unclogged, but yeah they were terrific then, too!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.

Stabb-not a paying gig. The editor was the guitarist in my '90's band-Columbian Necktie.

Just trying to get my stuff out there, who knows maybe he will get a wealthy investor for the mag someday :idea:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby clash77 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 pm

JGJR wrote:Nice review, edog. I saw them in New York a little over a week ago and they played Under the Big Black Sun in its entirety. Honestly, I had a great time, but this show reminded me of why I generally don't like full album shows that much. It just felt stilted and mechanical compared to the encores, when they really ripped and let go and were just firing on all cylinders. And they really goofed up the title track of UtBBs, which is a sentimental favorite of mine as it's the first song I knowingly heard. They had to restart it twice! But anyway, I still had a great time, the venue was terrific and I do wish they'd do a few songs acoustically from the later records (had to leave one of their shows early when they did do this and I still feel kinda bad about it). And the only time I saw them with Gilkyson was on Unclogged, but yeah they were terrific then, too!

Hey Matt, So the venue was cool huh??..never been there..Didnt they do 4 nights?
clash77

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:16 am

john stabb wrote:Nice review, e-dog & congrats on the new review gig :!: Do they pay ya or is it just fun thing? Man, I have still not seen X live but seeing the recent clip: Zoom comes off as an Automaton @ Disneyworld & I know that must have been the ultimate meticulous pain in the ass for someone to make sure there wasn't even 1 staple or whatever on that stage so Exene could do her set barefoot. That shit annoyed me when Henry did it in Black Flag and always want to step pn someone's precious feet when seeing it at a gig :!:

X still kills it live. The first time I saw them, which was about 8 years ago, it was snowing and I had a headache and I came infinitely close to just skipping it altogether. My wife pushed me to go, and I gave in. The minute I got close enough to the 9:30 to hear them playing, I had a smile on my face that did not go away the entire time. That was the only show I've ever been to that I still wanted more after two encores.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:42 am

version sound wrote:
john stabb wrote:Nice review, e-dog & congrats on the new review gig :!: Do they pay ya or is it just fun thing? Man, I have still not seen X live but seeing the recent clip: Zoom comes off as an Automaton @ Disneyworld & I know that must have been the ultimate meticulous pain in the ass for someone to make sure there wasn't even 1 staple or whatever on that stage so Exene could do her set barefoot. That shit annoyed me when Henry did it in Black Flag and always want to step pn someone's precious feet when seeing it at a gig :!:

X still kills it live. The first time I saw them, which was about 8 years ago, it was snowing and I had a headache and I came infinitely close to just skipping it altogether. My wife pushed me to go, and I gave in. The minute I got close enough to the 9:30 to hear them playing, I had a smile on my face that did not go away the entire time. That was the only show I've ever been to that I still wanted more after two encores.

Yep. That's why I go see them on every tour.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:43 am

clash77 wrote:
JGJR wrote:Nice review, edog. I saw them in New York a little over a week ago and they played Under the Big Black Sun in its entirety. Honestly, I had a great time, but this show reminded me of why I generally don't like full album shows that much. It just felt stilted and mechanical compared to the encores, when they really ripped and let go and were just firing on all cylinders. And they really goofed up the title track of UtBBs, which is a sentimental favorite of mine as it's the first song I knowingly heard. They had to restart it twice! But anyway, I still had a great time, the venue was terrific and I do wish they'd do a few songs acoustically from the later records (had to leave one of their shows early when they did do this and I still feel kinda bad about it). And the only time I saw them with Gilkyson was on Unclogged, but yeah they were terrific then, too!

Hey Matt, So the venue was cool huh??..never been there..Didnt they do 4 nights?

Yeah they played August 21-24 and did one full album of their first four each night (Los Angeles the first night, Wild Gift the second night and so on). And yeah, City Winery is very un-punk (incredible wine list, great food, seats, but great sound and sightlines and not cheesy decor like a similar venue here), but I loved it. It was my first time there.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:48 am

Grown up venues are great. Seeing Sigur Ros and Amiina at The Strathmore was probably the most pleasant concert-going experience I've ever had.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:50 am

version sound wrote:Grown up venues are great. Seeing Sigur Ros and Amiina at The Strathmore was probably the most pleasant concert-going experience I've ever had.

Yep.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:53 am

Gor blimey guv, you two are starting to sound like a couple of right auld wankers. :lol:
Welly

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:57 am

Welly wrote:Gor blimey guv, you two are starting to sound like a couple of right auld wankers. :lol:

Oh yeah. I was never a fan of shitty little clubs. I've been an old man in that way since I was 14.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:59 am

Welly wrote:Gor blimey guv, you two are starting to sound like a couple of right auld wankers. :lol:

If it makes you feel any better, the show I saw before that one (a few weeks before) was in an anarchist community center with a cruddy PA, no A/C, et al. If a band I like is playing, I will try to go see them.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:01 am

JGJR wrote:If it makes you feel any better, the show I saw before that one (a few weeks before) was in an anarchist community center with a cruddy PA, no A/C, et al. If a band I like is playing, I will try to go see them.

Fucking hippie old wanker then eh? :lol:
Welly

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:02 am

version sound wrote:

Oh yeah. I was never a fan of shitty little clubs. I've been an old man in that way since I was 14.

About as punk rock as yer dad right?
Welly

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:11 am

Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:

About as punk rock as yer dad right?

My dad was the one who taped Urgh! A Music War from Night Flight, not me. So maybe not quite as punk as my dad.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:17 am

I knew we'd get to the punch line in the end.
Welly

Return to daghouse