The Jam- American Equivalent

The Jam- American Equivalent

Postby clash77 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Cant think of one...
clash77

Re: The Jam- American Equivalent

Postby dave123 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:19 pm

Me neither. The Jam were a very British band.
dave123

Postby 77clash » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:49 pm

the Sharpshooters
77clash

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Dirty Looks (the late '70s/early '80s Staten Island) band might be the closest, but that is a stretch, I think.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 pm

IF you expand it to North American equivalent then the Mods or Bureaucrats.
Welly

Postby lewdd » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:12 pm

JGJR wrote:Dirty Looks (the late '70s/early '80s Staten Island) band might be the closest, but that is a stretch, I think.

12 O'Clock High is a great tune.
lewdd

Postby clash77 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Welly wrote:IF you expand it to North American equivalent then the Mods or Bureaucrats.

Nice call..Two great bands..As for the Us, Id say the Odd Numbers(90's) as well as The Strand('80's). would be in the conversation as well..
clash77

Postby Welly » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:15 am

clash77 wrote:
Welly wrote:IF you expand it to North American equivalent then the Mods or Bureaucrats.

Nice call..Two great bands..As for the Us, Id say the Odd Numbers(90's) as well as The Strand('80's). would be in the conversation as well..

Met the Odd Numbers in San Jose and they put us up on their cramped school bus. We had a load of free drink tickets at 'The Usual' and didn't end up playing much of a set that night. We all ended up in the drum kit pretending to beat the drummer up.

Oh, and The Strike.
Welly

Postby clash77 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Welly wrote:
clash77 wrote:

Met the Odd Numbers in San Jose and they put us up on their cramped school bus. We had a load of free drink tickets at 'The Usual' and didn't end up playing much of a set that night. We all ended up in the drum kit pretending to beat the drummer up.

Oh, and The Strike.

Ahh. the Strike..How could I forget?..Good call again..I have the first two records..Not sure what came after that ??..Good to hear you had a good experience with the Odd Numbers..I loved that first record when I heard it..I wrote to the band asking them to send me a copy after hearing them on a Shredder Records comp..The record arrived quickly..I thought that was great on the part of the band..
clash77

Postby creature » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:24 pm

Welly wrote:
clash77 wrote:

Oh, and The Strike.

I first saw the Odd Numbers in San Jose in 1990 in some Irish pub. In between numbers, I yelled out Jam songs and the singer laughed and told me to pipe down (in a joking way)... became friends with them that night and still am. cheers
creature

Postby dave123 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:30 pm

I don't see the Jam as a sound thing but more of a band that captured what it was like in the UK at the time. At least, that is how I look at the Jam. While I am a big fan of the Mods, the Strike, etc., I don't think any of them capture what it was like to live in the US or Canada during their day. As much as I hate both, I will go with Bruce Springsteen or maybe Tom Petty as being more of an equivalent to the Jam. Gritty musicians who capture what it is like to be American. For Canada, I have a harder time. I guess Neil Young (that song about Portage and Main is pretty accurate if you have had the pleasure of visiting Winnipeg Canada in the middle of winter) comes to mind or maybe even Bryan Adams. But I find more of Canada in Stompin Tom (RIP) and the Weakerthans.

If we are going with sound, lets throw in the Transmitors or Winnipeg's Duotang or the Not.
dave123

Postby lewdd » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:36 pm

I like me some Tranzmitors.
lewdd

Return to daghouse