Re: An lp that is/was ignored

Postby clash77 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:48 pm

dave123 wrote:Here are a couple:
American Standard - piss and vinegar and the new american standard classics
Los Vampiros - less than a feeling
Popsickle - both
Grave Goods - new face revealed
Two Line Filler - listener

ha..wait..I had a Popsickle record...not sure which?
clash77

Postby dave123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:32 am

clash77 wrote:
dave123 wrote:Here are a couple:
American Standard - piss and vinegar and the new american standard classics
Los Vampiros - less than a feeling
Popsickle - both
Grave Goods - new face revealed
Two Line Filler - listener

ha..wait..I had a Popsickle record...not sure which?

See, you even owned a Popsickle record and ignored it;)
dave123

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:23 am

Public Image Ltd. - Public Image

Not exactly an obscure record, but often gets overlooked in favor of the records that came before and after. Not even the official PiL website affords it the dignity of actually getting the title right. Not to be a vinyl douche, but if you haven't heard this record on the original vinyl, you haven't heard it. It's still cheap. I bought a spare in excellent condition for about $10 not long ago, so I don't know why anyone buys the digitally sourced reissue. The later Virgin pressing also doesn't compare, according to the record dorks (sorry JGJR). Best bass on any rock record, period. Yes, that includes the OG pressing of Metal Box. I've compared them back to back.

Vic Bondi - The Ghost Dances

A lot of people love AOF and his later stuff, but I rarely see this record mentioned. This is the one VB record that I really bonded with (no pun intended). Still love it to this day.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby dave123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 am

version sound wrote:Public Image Ltd. - Public Image

Not exactly an obscure record, but often gets overlooked in favor of the records that came before and after. Not even the official PiL website affords it the dignity of actually getting the title right. Not to be a vinyl douche, but if you haven't heard this record on the original vinyl, you haven't heard it. It's still cheap. I bought a spare in excellent condition for about $10 not long ago, so I don't know why anyone buys the digitally sourced reissue. The later Virgin pressing also doesn't compare, according to the record dorks (sorry JGJR). Best bass on any rock record, period. Yes, that includes the OG pressing of Metal Box. I've compared them back to back.

A lot of people love AOF and his later stuff, but I rarely see this record mentioned. This is the one VB record that I really bonded with (no pun intended). Still love it to this day.

I thought of the Vic Bondi stuff after I posted. Good choice. Also, the Alloy records.
dave123

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:15 am

Mighty Sphincter - In the Kingdom of Heaven
I absolutely love this record. This was the one that came out in the later 80's and was their last record on Placebo and the last one they did for quite some time. Bill Yanok and Greg Hynes did the vocals on this one. It was a wonderful mix of goth, death rock, and punk. My favorite MS song, "Secret Ceremony" is on here as well. Six songs, all of them great, including a great cover of Hendrix's "I Don't Live Today". It's really a crime that this never got reissued on a CD or digitally.

Dazzling Killmen - Face of Collapse
This wasn't so much ignored when it came out as I think it did ok, it came out on Skin Graft Records, but I think that they have gone mostly forgotten since they broke up plus they were in kind of a niche scene. I remember being devastated when one of them told me they broke up. This band mixed noise and math rock together with a ton of intensity. They were easily one of the best bands I've ever seen live (numerous times) and this album was amazing.

Sand in the Face - LP
One of the best hardcore albums to come out of New Jersey in the 1980's. They had good distribution for their one and only record but unless you were an avid reader of the MRR scene reports most people didn't know a thing about them. When I bring this band up to people, even fellow ancient punkers like myself, more often than not it's just met with blank stares. Another one lost in time that seems unlikely to ever get reissued.

Sacred Denial - North of the Order
They really hit a home run with this album which was great somewhat melodic hardcore. The first two songs alone make owning this album a must. They put out a bunch of records in their time and many seemed familiar with them but they went long forgotten and were even largely overlooked during their tenure by a good portion of the punk rock community.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:23 am

Second Wind - Security

Unknown or considered also-rans by most. If it had come out on Dischord, I think they would get more respect. I love this record.

White Cross - What's Going On?

This came out around the same time as Tied Down and the two are forever linked in my mind. I listen to this more often than Tied Down these days. It probably helps that I saw them a couple of times around the time this came out, so I have more of a personal connection to it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby ClamShack » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Gray Matter - Food For Thought
ClamShack

Postby the mean » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:24 pm

dave123 wrote:American Standard - piss and vinegar and the new american standard classics

Probably because these two albums are bummers compared to "Wonderland."

dave123 wrote:Grave Goods - new face revealed

JGJR: what did you think of that 7"?
the mean

Postby the mean » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:25 pm

Also, Pot Valiant's "Transaudio" (in my pic to the left) is possibly the most underrated LP of the 90s.
the mean

Postby lewdd » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Slammin' Watusis - S/T
lewdd

Postby tango fistula » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Red Scare- "Then there were none..."
Conflict U.S.- "Last Hour"
Chelsea- "Evacuate"
tango fistula

Postby tango fistula » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:54 pm

MXV wrote:Sand in the Face - LP
One of the best hardcore albums to come out of New Jersey in the 1980's. They had good distribution for their one and only record but unless you were an avid reader of the MRR scene reports most people didn't know a thing about them. When I bring this band up to people, even fellow ancient punkers like myself, more often than not it's just met with blank stares. Another one lost in time that seems unlikely to ever get reissued.

I never owned this but saw them twice.
Once with Bodies In Panic if we wanna go into "Ignored" territory.
That's also where Pleased Youth's "Dangerous Choo-Choo" lives.

Seconded on Mighty Sphincter. Got to see them three times and one of them
was a shared bill with Mad Parade and my band. Yeah Mad Parade....picture that night. SUPER
nice dudes tho.....both bands! M.S. were even more fun with Ron that hapless fuck.
Last edited by tango fistula on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tango fistula

Postby tango fistula » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:58 pm

You would think the more a road dog your band was... the better the chances right?
It certainly helped D.O.A, Circle Jerks and Black Flag ect ect...but it didn't help a band like
Toxic Reasons at all...

And Toxic Reason were certainly GOOD had wide distro and everything...
tango fistula

Postby MJH » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:19 pm

Toxic Reasons were huge in my town, at least through the Bullets For You era...great shows always back then.
MJH

Postby dave123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:53 pm

the mean wrote:
dave123 wrote:American Standard - piss and vinegar and the new american standard classics

Yeah, wonderland is awesome, but piss & vinegar was pretty solid. I listened to it a lot when it came out.

I like the Grave Goods 7". It had a little bit more of a straight up hardcore vibe than the CD, but it's not really that different than the full length. However, I end up listening to the CD more.
dave123

Postby MXV » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:28 am

tango fistula wrote:
MXV wrote:Sand in the Face - LP

I never owned this but saw them twice.
Once with Bodies In Panic if we wanna go into "Ignored" territory.
That's also where Pleased Youth's "Dangerous Choo-Choo" lives.

Seconded on Mighty Sphincter. Got to see them three times and one of them
was a shared bill with Mad Parade and my band. Yeah Mad Parade....picture that night. SUPER
nice dudes tho.....both bands! M.S. were even more fun with Ron that hapless fuck.

I liked all the versions of Mighty Sphincter except the most recent one which is just Doug only and some hired hands and doesn't include Greg Hynes. Greg and Doug together were the foundation of that band and the only two constants since the inception (Greg is also a really nice guy BTW) so I don't even consider that to really be MS. My favorite was the In the Kingdom of Heaven era but the stuff with Ron is a close second for me.

Speaking of Ron, he's currently in prison on a vehicular manslaughter charge. A couple of years ago an old Phoenix punk guy I used to correspond years ago randomly with sent me (in the actual mail, not email) copies of the arrest/court report along with a photo of Ron in court. I can't remember how long he was sentenced for.
MXV

Postby Knutsen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:59 am

MJH wrote:Toxic Reasons were huge in my town, at least through the Bullets For You era...great shows always back then.

...and in Germany. Saw them something like 5 times.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby dave123 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 am

MXV wrote:
I liked all the versions of Mighty Sphincter except the most recent one which is just Doug only and some hired hands and doesn't include Greg Hynes. Greg and Doug together were the foundation of that band and the only two constants since the inception (Greg is also a really nice guy BTW) so I don't even consider that to really be MS. My favorite was the In the Kingdom of Heaven era but the stuff with Ron is a close second for me.

Thanks for this post. I was wondering about the recent version of Mighty Sphincter. Such a good band, and I agree mostly ignored (I only picked their stuff up at first because of the JFA/Placebo connection). I have all the output up until the recent record, which I had been putting off picking up.
dave123

Postby captain2man » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:59 am

I love the Pleased Youth - "Dangerous Choo Choo" choice....forgotten New Jersey band who put out this one LP (with brutally horrendous cover art) and some comp tracks....the album is great though. Very melodic.

Zero Boys - Make It Stop and Heimlich Maneuver.......everyone praises this band, but Vicious Circle is the only album that anyone actually talks about. These two albums are filled with pop-punk gems.

Bad Religion - The New America......thee most overlooked BR record. There are a few questionable songs on it but, overall, it's a tremendous record.

The Stains - when discussing early SST stuff, I rarely hear too much talk about this one-LP band....but I think it still holds up today as a fine slice of early L.A. hardcore. There's even a song in 3/4 time which is weird for a hardcore band (I think it's the song "Germany").
captain2man

Postby paul » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:34 pm

411 - This Isn't Me
Articles of Faith - In This Life
Chamberlain - Fate's Got A Driver
The Embarrassment - Death Travels West
Government Issue - You
The Hated - Everysong
The Nils - The Nils
The Parasites - Punch Lines
Rorschach - Remain Sedate and Protestant
SquirrelBait - s/t and Skag Heaven
Sticks and Stones (pretty much everything they ever recorded)
Strength 691 - A Means to an End
paul

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:47 pm

captain2man wrote:The Stains - when discussing early SST stuff, I rarely hear too much talk about this one-LP band....but I think it still holds up today as a fine slice of early L.A. hardcore. There's even a song in 3/4 time which is weird for a hardcore band (I think it's the song "Germany").

Great record. That's another one that's been forgotten by virtue of being OOP since forever. The closest thing to a west coast Void that I've heard.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:53 pm

dave123 wrote:
MXV wrote:

Thanks for this post. I was wondering about the recent version of Mighty Sphincter. Such a good band, and I agree mostly ignored (I only picked their stuff up at first because of the JFA/Placebo connection). I have all the output up until the recent record, which I had been putting off picking up.

Do you have the "House of No Return" 7"? That one came out a few years after "Kingdom of Heaven" but I didn't know about its existence until many years later. They put it out themselves and they didn't make that many compared to the older records. I love the song, "Exhumed" on it. Greg sang the songs on that record along with the CD that came out a few years later (The Holy Unholy) that was quite good.

If you want to check out some early MS related bands, check out the 7" by The Teds on Placebo Records. It is fantastic and that was Greg's band before MS. The Brainz single was great too and and had Doug Clark and one or two other dudes that ended up playing in MS. That was more fuzzed out stoner rock that was about 30 years ahead of its time as they'd be huge now.
MXV

Postby MXV » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:04 pm

paul wrote:411 - This Isn't Me
Government Issue - You
The Hated - Everysong
The Nils - The Nils

Squirrel Bait were far from ignored back then. They got a TON of press and everyone (including me) seemed to be in love with them. GREAT band! These days maybe they get ignored more than they should, which is odd considering two guys from the band ended up starting Slint.

GI - You was pretty big when it came out and those guys toured a ton. That's probably still my favorite GI record, it is SO GOOD! I think that they are more ignored now though for some reason compared to many of their peers which I find odd because the GI material holds up so good that they should be selling as many records as Black Flag or Minor Threat but they just aren't.

I'll agree with you on the second Articles of Faith LP. It is actually quite good but everyone goes for the first LP and the singles. They certainly went out on a high note with that album.
MXV

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:28 pm

the mean wrote:

Truth
xxxMidgexxx

Postby clash77 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Latex Novelties- A Girls best friend
( Hammersmith) Gorillas- Message to the World
Count Bishops- S/t
clash77

Postby dave123 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Government Issue - You
The Hated - Everysong
The Nils - The Nils

So stoked you mentioned Strength 691. Good band. No idea why they are ignored even after the fact with the Ensign connection.

Not sure what you mean by Chamberlain, 411, and Rorschach. I remember those as all highly anticipated and definitely not ignored. Especially, Split Lip/Chamberlain.
dave123

Postby 77clash » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 pm

Hammersmith Gorillas? I thought I was the only one on here who ever heard of them. Next thing you know someone will mention the Golant Pistons too.
77clash

Postby paul » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:40 pm

:D :D
dave123 wrote:
Government Issue - You
The Hated - Everysong
The Nils - The Nils

So stoked you mentioned Strength 691. Good band. No idea why they are ignored even after the fact with the Ensign connection.

Not sure what you mean by Chamberlain, 411, and Rorschach. I remember those as all highly anticipated and definitely not ignored. Especially, Split Lip/Chamberlain.

Strength 691 is playing again! Back in the 90's I actually put out a vinyl version of Means to an End, but only test presses were made. I'm currently doing a band with Nate, who played bass in S691 and Ensign and he is one hell of a dude! We're currently mastering our first record, I'll definitely post some mp3s on the board when it's done :D
paul

Postby dave123 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:10 pm

paul wrote::D :D
dave123 wrote:
Government Issue - You
The Hated - Everysong
The Nils - The Nils

Strength 691 is playing again! Back in the 90's I actually put out a vinyl version of Means to an End, but only test presses were made. I'm currently doing a band with Nate, who played bass in S691 and Ensign and he is one hell of a dude! We're currently mastering our first record, I'll definitely post some mp3s on the board when it's done :D

Nate rules (as does Tim). What is the name of the new band? Tell him Dave from Edmonton Canada says hello and that I miss Ensign immensely. Can't wait to hear the record.
dave123

Postby john stabb » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:33 am

First have to say: I love all Los Vampiros (even the original demo J. Robbins had on the road during a G.I. tour).
Second, I'm flattered that you included YOU, Paul. Mxv, sure that album got great press in Billboard & all but it didn't sell very well. Boycott (esp: the Dischord re-release w/ extras) & Joyride seem to be G.I.'s best sellers.

That said, our royalties aren't much at all. You're on the money that our stuff doesn't sell as well as Black Flag or Minor Threat. I think there's something about a California band with such a radical, controversial background like BF, Adolescents, TSOL, Social D, Germs, Vandals, etc. Not saying some of their music isn't great (although I have a particular bug up my ass w/ the scab line-up that called themselves, Vandals) but that violent Cali-Punk thing sure helps in kids picking up on them. And we all know how infamous Minor Threat's lyrics were but having the guy from the monumentally popular Fugazi fronting the legendary DC hardcore group ain't hurting their current sales, either. G.I. simply were/are not anywhere as popular as those bands. We sure had some incredibly bad things happen at gigs (National Front Nazi Skins, me getting attacked by a dozen Manson Youth, violence in the crowd, being ripped off by promoters and fans, etc.) That same shit happened with a lot of the CA-punk bands. And crazy misfortune on the road (Van crash that could've been fatal) but we never had the controversy or Cop violence that most of these other groups had. I also have come to realize a little too late that leaving Dischord early on hurt G.I. quite a bit because if everything post-Boycott came out on the label, I know that I'd probably not be having the financial difficulties I've suffered over the years. And the records would've sold much better with Dischord's name on it. We moved on to FOY -Dutch East, Mystic and Giant. And man, did that last label screw us HARD :!: So it goes.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby The Snake » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:52 am

Some people mentioned Grave Goods and Articles Of Faith In This Life LP, I love those records and never heard anyone talk or write about it.
Also, any Social Unrest record, specially Before the Fall and Now And Forever.
The Snake

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:29 am

MXV wrote:Sand in the Face - LP.

Quite good, and yep...ignored.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Dinko » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:33 pm

paul wrote:Chamberlain - Fate's Got A Driver

The Split Lip version got a lot of love here (although I remember the concert being very poorly attended. i kept yelling song names, and most of the time the would play them). I didn't mind the name change, but I still think that re-recording of the vocals was a bad idea. I love that Chamberlain/Old Pike-Split 7", but the following full-lengths of each band were both terrible. terrible.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:37 am

captain2man wrote:
The Stains - when discussing early SST stuff, I rarely hear too much talk about this one-LP band....but I think it still holds up today as a fine slice of early L.A. hardcore. There's even a song in 3/4 time which is weird for a hardcore band (I think it's the song "Germany").

I wish this would be reissued.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:42 am

Dinko wrote:

The Split Lip version got a lot of love here (although I remember the concert being very poorly attended. i kept yelling song names, and most of the time the would play them). I didn't mind the name change, but I still think that re-recording of the vocals was a bad idea. I love that Chamberlain/Old Pike-Split 7", but the following full-lengths of each band were both terrible. terrible.

I heard the Split Lip version with the original vocals years after the fact, and still prefer the Chamberlain version with the re-recorded vocals by a longshot. It's a great album, IMHO and I would hardly call it underrated. Maybe by the current crop of emo/hc/scenester/whatever kids but not at the time of it's release. Old Pike were never that great, I don't think...there is one song on that split that is really good, the other songs are okay. Chamberlain songs are great of course. I actually think that the Moon My Saddle was an unfairly maligned album. I didn't buy it until 2006 or something because it's reputation was so bad, and while I still prefer FGAD and the Splitlip stuff over that one, it's a pretty good album with a few excellent songs. I'd love to see an expanded reissue of FGAD with both versions of the album and some non-album tracks.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:51 am

Always thought this band, No For an Answer, etc. were all pretty bad, mostly because Dan O's vox were awful forced, deep yelling that I hate. There is a live tape somewhere we he lapses into his "natural" voice occasionally and sounds way better. If only he had done his vox like that instead of the forced deep/macho thing. JMO.

An awesome record for sure, glad AT reissued it on that Vol.2 record. Of the two albums they did, I'd say this is the better one by a longshot. I think the fact that it was out of print and hard to get for so long made it not as popular/canonized as it could've been.

The Nils - The Nils

A great band for sure. I don't have this one, just the CD comp of their early stuff. I think this band suffers from the out of print syndrome thing. Even that CD was a PITA to track down.

I'd say no. The band has been pretty popular over the years.

Dunno if this was mentioned by the band RUIN were pretty underrated I think. Their first album, He-Ho, is a good one. Another out of print one unfortunately. There was some talk about reissues at some point, but I haven't seen anything recent that says whether it's actually going to happen or not.
patient_ot

Postby the mean » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:24 am

Dinko wrote:

"The Moon My Saddle" is the best Split Lip/Chamberlain LP. Previous stuff is mostly mediocre, bland mid-90s college-rocky "emo." "Missing 62nd" is excellent, though. "Santa Fe," from the last LP, may be their best song.

Did anyone ever like anything by Old Pike?
the mean

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:35 pm

version sound wrote:Public Image Ltd. - Public Image

Re: Public Image on Virgin (later pressing), is that the one you gave me your spare copy of? Thanks again for that, BTW. And FWIW, the Light in the Attic reissue sounds great (all of their stuff does). I'm not sure about the sourcing, though, but here is what the audiophiles have to say. It is almost uniformly positive.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... 651/page-3

And re: The Ghost Dances, it is a very intense record. I think I would like it more if I'd heard it when I was much younger. It seems suited for someone going through a break-up.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:39 pm

the mean wrote:

I have to play it again, but I remember enjoying it and thinking it fit in very well with other similar late '80s HC goes rock kinda stuff. Maybe it's not quite as good as You or Wig Out at Denko's (not even close) but it's better than Staring at the Sun.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:42 pm

paul wrote:Sticks and Stones (pretty much everything they ever recorded)

One of my favorite bands ever and the best band that New Brunswick has ever produced.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:45 pm

paul wrote:Strength 691 is playing again! Back in the 90's I actually put out a vinyl version of Means to an End, but only test presses were made. I'm currently doing a band with Nate, who played bass in S691 and Ensign and he is one hell of a dude! We're currently mastering our first record, I'll definitely post some mp3s on the board when it's done :D

Nate is a super nice guy and an old acquaintance), but wow I can't believe they're playing again. That is really cool! I saw them a bunch of times in the early to mid '90s.
Last edited by JGJR on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:47 pm

dave123 wrote:Nate rules (as does Tim). What is the name of the new band? Tell him Dave from Edmonton Canada says hello and that I miss Ensign immensely. Can't wait to hear the record.

I do, too (re: missing Ensign). I saw them many times in both incarnations (they had a different singer before Tim; an old acquaintance named Graham later joined Felix Frump). They got better when Tim joined, I think.

I think I got a show invite on FB for your (paul's) new band since I am friends with Nate on FB.
JGJR

Postby dave123 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:38 pm

JGJR wrote:
the mean wrote:

I have to play it again, but I remember enjoying it and thinking it fit in very well with other similar late '80s HC goes rock kinda stuff. Maybe it's not quite as good as You or Wig Out at Denko's (not even close) but it's better than Staring at the Sun.

I would agree with this ranking.
dave123

Postby MXV » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:53 am

patient_ot wrote:

Always thought this band, No For an Answer, etc. were all pretty bad, mostly because Dan O's vox were awful forced, deep yelling that I hate. There is a live tape somewhere we he lapses into his "natural" voice occasionally and sounds way better. If only he had done his vox like that instead of the forced deep/macho thing. JMO.

An awesome record for sure, glad AT reissued it on that Vol.2 record. Of the two albums they did, I'd say this is the better one by a longshot. I think the fact that it was out of print and hard to get for so long made it not as popular/canonized as it could've been.

The Nils - The Nils

A great band for sure. I don't have this one, just the CD comp of their early stuff. I think this band suffers from the out of print syndrome thing. Even that CD was a PITA to track down.

I'd say no. The band has been pretty popular over the years.

Dunno if this was mentioned by the band RUIN were pretty underrated I think. Their first album, He-Ho, is a good one. Another out of print one unfortunately. There was some talk about reissues at some point, but I haven't seen anything recent that says whether it's actually going to happen or not.

Both Ruin records were great! I saw them once too and they were awesome. They did do a CD years ago that compiled both LPs but they remixed the second one and it wasn't for the better. That has been out of print for ages now as well.
MXV

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:06 am

Not sUre if this is the right topic, but, here are two great hardcore bands from the 2000s that were ignored on the larger scale.

FIELDS OF FIRE
http://allthingsoldschool.blogspot.com/ ... flock.html

SUPERSLEUTH
http://earsstillringing.blogspot.com/20 ... onths.html
The Snake

Postby Dinko » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:13 pm

the mean wrote:
Dinko wrote:

"The Moon My Saddle" is the best Split Lip/Chamberlain LP. Previous stuff is mostly mediocre, bland mid-90s college-rocky "emo." "Missing 62nd" is excellent, though. "Santa Fe," from the last LP, may be their best song.

Did anyone ever like anything by Old Pike?

I should have used better words. When I wrote terrible, I meant a terrible experience for myself, as I was anticipating those records and my expectations were not met at all. I surely have a knack for “alt country”-stuff, so I thought I’d dig The Moon My Saddle, and though it’s not a bad record, I think the songs are too long and repetitive (it totally lacks those little, beautiful parts where the 2 guitars form a new, near perfect melody about to vanish 5 seconds later) that almost any song on FGAD was speckled with. Plus, the lyrics became glossy in their new environment. Old Pike, well, I knew “The Surface”, their one good song that sounds much like a slowed down, slightly dizzy Soar-era Samiam song. There’s 3 or 4 versions of that one, go figure. I downloaded the demos for their sophomore record that never came out and they were okay, but too long and repetitive.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby The Snake » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:28 am

The Last - Painting Smiles on a Dead Man (or any other Last LP).
The Snake

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:36 am

The Snake wrote:The Last - Painting Smiles on a Dead Man (or any other Last LP).

The Last are not ignored around here.

http://www.daghouse.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223&hilit=The+last+danger
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Next

Return to daghouse