either way, being a fan of this guy, this is pretty fucking good stuff

stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VMgBZMGWx0

download:
https://www.oboom.com/P3AXS841/www.NewA ... 014%29.rar
BAIN

Re: Ryan Adams - 1984 (punk ep)

Postby Dan Celebrity » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Not as good as The Patty Duke Syndrome, but pretty solid on first listen. Maybe a little too much vocals in the mix. Still a lot more in my range than most of his stuff.
Dan Celebrity

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:48 am

I listened to this about 5x in a row earlier this morning. It'll be one of my favorites of the year for sure. Now I wish I'd ordered the vinyl before it sold out in a few hours.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby BAIN » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:03 am

got mine for $5.99, but just looked on ebay = holy fuck what assholes
BAIN

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:27 am

BAIN wrote:got mine for $5.99, but just looked on ebay = holy fuck what assholes

What are the going rates? Did you order it right away? Curious how you got it for that price.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:02 pm

I bought a download from iTunes for $5.99. And given that each side of that 7" runs around 6 1/2 minutes, I don't suspect you're getting the highest fidelity experience with the vinyl.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Neal » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:17 pm

i just listened to this and it's pretty good. i just wish all the songs were a minute or so longer.
Neal

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:08 pm

scannest wrote:I bought a download from iTunes for $5.99. And given that each side of that 7" runs around 6 1/2 minutes, I don't suspect you're getting the highest fidelity experience with the vinyl.

True, but I don't like paying for downloads. A CD would be silly given how short it is, so...
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:29 pm

JGJR wrote:...I don't like paying for downloads....

You, sir, are the problem. As per Gene Simmons, at least.

And "like" didn't enter into it as I wanted the record and didn't buy the vinyl before it sold out.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:31 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:...I don't like paying for downloads....

You, sir, are the problem. As per Gene Simmons, at least.

And "like" didn't enter into it as I wanted the record and didn't buy the vinyl before it sold out.

No way, Jose. I prefer records. If others did as well, Gene Simmons would stick to bashing immigrants and folks with mental health issues.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:37 pm

I used to not like paying for downloads but now I don't mind it, even though I prefer owning the vinyl. I buy a good amt of stuff on iTunes, it's so easy.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:45 pm

gregpolard wrote:I used to not like paying for downloads but now I don't mind it, even though I prefer owning the vinyl. I buy a good amt of stuff on iTunes, it's so easy.

With the amount of stuff available via streaming (for a monthly fee or for free) or on YouTube and what not, I find it difficult to justify unless it's the only format something is released in.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:18 pm

JGJR wrote:With the amount of stuff available via streaming (for a monthly fee or for free) or on YouTube and what not, I find it difficult to justify unless it's the only format something is released in.

Streaming and/or YouTube is different. The implication of your ellipses was that your were going to D/L the record illegally ("True, but I don't like paying for downloads. A CD would be silly given how short it is, so....")
If I came to the wrong conclusion, I apologize.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:20 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:With the amount of stuff available via streaming (for a monthly fee or for free) or on YouTube and what not, I find it difficult to justify unless it's the only format something is released in.

Streaming and/or YouTube is different. The implication of your ellipses was that your were going to D/L the record illegally ("True, but I don't like paying for downloads. A CD would be silly given how short it is, so....")
If I came to the wrong conclusion, I apologize.

Yeah, to be honest since it is available to stream on YT for free, I don't see the point. I'm on my 7th or 8th play, BTW, and that's just today. I haven't really had time to update the iPod recently and stuff recently and prefer playing vinyl at home.
JGJR

Postby BAIN » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:55 am

JGJR wrote:
BAIN wrote:got mine for $5.99, but just looked on ebay = holy fuck what assholes

What are the going rates? Did you order it right away? Curious how you got it for that price.

starting around $30 with bids, buy it nows at $50+

ordered it right after I heard the stream from http://www.musicdirect.com/

never dealt w them before, but they came through with the $5.99.
BAIN

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:59 am

I'm already on my third play of the morning. I can't stop playing this thing! I want a vinyl copy badly, but am not willing to pay the current going rates.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 am

If you make a gimmick record and press so few that it immediately becomes an eBay collector scum item, expect people to download for free. I'm not saying it's ok to steal music, but in this situation you're basically inviting it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:06 pm

version sound wrote:If you make a gimmick record and press so few that it immediately becomes an eBay collector scum item

Thanks for summing 'music' in 2014 up in one handy sentence smart ass.
Welly

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:10 pm

I really enjoyed this, as I'm sure it's been said before, his other stuff was hit and miss with me and I don't actually own an entire release of his but I think I will buy this. The Husker Du/Squirrel Bait sound is refreshing, his vocals fit the style as well, the bare-bones bass lines sound great, any more fills and it wouldn't sound right. The guitar sounds jangly like the 1st Chemical People and early Descendents (sonically).

Also, I don't care if 4 were pressed, not paying for something is not paying for something. I don't care what you do, but don't kid yourself into thinking that it's not stealing.
FlexMyHead

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Was it pressed on a major label?
Welly

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:15 pm

version sound wrote:If you make a gimmick record and press so few that it immediately becomes an eBay collector scum item, expect people to download for free. I'm not saying it's ok to steal music, but in this situation you're basically inviting it.

Or you could expect people to buy the easily available download when the physical copies have been sold out. Seriously, there is no logic to your statement at all. I got an idea - I'll press 5 copies of my single on vinyl and then everyone else will have to just download it if they want it. Ha! That'll show 'em!
EDIT - Sorry, Flexy sorta made the same exact point earlier.
scannest

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Face it, this EP is just a stunt to promote his new LP. I never said it was ok to steal it, just that we live in a culture in which anything that gets this kind of hype is going to be downloaded illegally. You think he's some rube who isn't aware of that? This thing was 100% calculated to generate hype to sell his new album.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:01 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:The Husker Du/Squirrel Bait sound is refreshing, his vocals fit the style as well, the bare-bones bass lines sound great, any more fills and it wouldn't sound right. The guitar sounds jangly like the 1st Chemical People and early Descendents (sonically).

Good call - it also reminds me of Mission of Burma/Moving Targets a bit, especially the guitar sound.
jaybird

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:43 am

version sound wrote:Face it, this EP is just a stunt to promote his new LP. I never said it was ok to steal it, just that we live in a culture in which anything that gets this kind of hype is going to be downloaded illegally. You think he's some rube who isn't aware of that? This thing was 100% calculated to generate hype to sell his new album.

Let's make a deal - if I agree to never comment on threads devoted to Japanese hardcore, will you promise not to comment on those devoted to Ryan Adams?

EDIT - I take back the rest of it. The whole thing gives me a headache. Enough stress in life without busting a vessel over someone's opinion on a message board (as uninformed as it may be).

Eat a peach.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:33 am

Damn Sal, maybe you should switch to decaf. I'm not stealing anything from Ryan Adams, nor am I advocating or justifying anyone else doing so. If this "release something that instantly becomes a collector's item" thing isn't just to drive hype, then they can do a repress to meet demand. That seems pretty simple.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:40 am

version sound wrote:Damn Sal, maybe you should switch to decaf.

BUT THIS STUFF IS ALL SO DAMN IMPORTANT!! ALL OF IT!!!

Yeah, I know.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:04 am

Also, is there a real difference between repeatedly listening to something on YouTube instead of paying for it and downloading something from a blog instead of paying for it? Did Ryan Adams upload it himself? If not, you're still kind of stealing it, aren't you?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:43 am

Furthermore (oh shit, it's about to GET REAL), Spotify is basically like going into a store, grabbing a CD, flipping a quarter at the person behind the counter, and marching out.

Scratch that, it's more like doing it at the merch table at a gig.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:37 pm

version sound wrote:Furthermore (oh shit, it's about to GET REAL), Spotify is basically like going into a store, grabbing a CD, flipping a quarter at the person behind the counter, and marching out.

Scratch that, it's more like doing it at the merch table at a gig.

WRONG AGAIN!
I can only assume that if an artist chooses to make their music available on Spotify that they have some sort of financial compensation agreement in place, however paltry it may be. That's not between me and the artist. If an artist wants to say "f*ck you" to Spotify because they pay $0.000001 per play, I understand that. Lots of them do - I can't find AC/DC or Pete Townshend on there (to name 2 I looked for recently). But if they choose to do the deal I don't see why I can't listen.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:45 pm

My understanding was that those deals are made by the labels, not the artists. Maybe big hitters have more say, though.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:57 pm

version sound wrote:My understanding was that those deals are made by the labels, not the artists. Maybe big hitters have more say, though.

I believe those deals are made by the people who own the copyrights to the recordings. Hence Atlantic can't just put AC/DC up on Spotify if AC/DC doesn't want to be on Spotify. I'm sure smaller labels cut their own deals and assume the bands involved either won't care or don't have the wherewithal to do anything about it.
scannest

Postby Welly » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Copyright won't come into it, dissemination rights will be in the contract, and payment will go to who has the publishing, recording ownership and/or contractual agreement.

And yes, a band will be less likely to get anything out of a small-medium sized indie label, as they usually don't have the means to demand accounting transparency, so these labels can do what they want, as the size of the internet market makes the whole business even more opaque.
Welly

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:01 am

Maybe I'm wrong, but whether it's their decision or not, a band doesn't have much real choice about Spotify. Basically, you take what they give you, or you're excluded from a very large part of the listening public. Yes, they have a choice, but unless they are already rich with an established audience and no need to court new fans, it's not much of a choice. Of course if legal = fine and dandy regardless of the details, it's totally cool. If you can convince yourself that you are supporting artists by using Spotify, have at it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:22 am

from brief net searching ,it looks like a band has the final say on if they go on spotify or not. bands like led zep and pink floyd finally relented and let their music get streamed. ac/dc, king crimson and the beatles still hold off from their music being streamed. the singer from radiohead pulled his stuff from them after complaining he was not getting any money. i am guessing a new band(indie or major) just agrees to have it streamed since it will make its way to the web with or without their consent.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:37 am

I think the fact that Zeppelin and Floyd gave in says a lot about the percieved importance of Spotify. They aren't on there because they are making a lot of money from it, they're on there to try to retain some sort of relevance to people who didn't grow up with them. A less established artist has even less choice. Either take the .006 cents per play (actual rate, according to Thom Yorke) and shut up, or be excluded from that entire audience.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:42 am

version sound wrote:I think the fact that Zeppelin and Floyd gave in says a lot about the percieved importance of Spotify. They aren't on there because they are making a lot of money from it, they're on there to try to retain some sort of relevance to people who didn't grow up with them. A less established artist has even less choice. Either take the .006 cents per play (actual rate, according to Thom Yorke) and shut up, or be excluded from that entire audience.

led zep were holding out for a streaming service would which would have given them the most money and had exclusive rights to their catalog, but i guess no one came calling. pink floyd gave in after 1 million fans streamed wish you were here, i think it was a trial run spotify did to show them how much they were missing out on. the radiohead singer echoed your sentiments exactly, saying streaming made sense for older bands that had sold their catalog, but new bands were getting fucked over with streaming royalties as they currently stand and losing out on album sales.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:51 am

A band like Zepplin who has fans that keep rebuying their catalog every time there is some new version of it can afford to get nothing from Spotify. Younger bands are basically giving their music away for free just to stay in the game, and hoping to recoup it in ticket sales (I'm guessing).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:23 am

version sound wrote:A band like Zepplin who has fans that keep rebuying their catalog every time there is some new version of it can afford to get nothing from Spotify. Younger bands are basically giving their music away for free just to stay in the game, and hoping to recoup it in ticket sales (I'm guessing).

i know punk/hc bands pretty much make all of their money from merch and ticket sales. if a band self releases an album on vinyl, it usually just hopes to break even on the money they spent pressing and recording it. it seems larger bands are starting to take this same approach in some respects. they either have to tour more or concentrate their appearances on select festivals where they can make the most money out of one appearance. the negative effect is that you have seen show prices inflate 200%(or more) in the past few years. or they go on kickstarter and beg for money.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:25 am

The irony is that I pay for Spotify premium (which I really don't use much, may cancel again) and I've often listened to an album on there to try it out and then purchased on iTunes/vinyl. But I know I'm in the minority.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:31 am

Yeah, people like the average poster on this board use Spotify to listen to stuff they already own, or check out (then possibly buy) stuff they don't. However, I think the average user probably just uses it as their personal music collection. My wife has a premium subscription and I don't remember the last time she bought music in any form.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:55 am

version sound wrote:Also, is there a real difference between repeatedly listening to something on YouTube instead of paying for it and downloading something from a blog instead of paying for it? Did Ryan Adams upload it himself? If not, you're still kind of stealing it, aren't you?

I don't want to get into this debate, but I am fully on team VS here. I will say that I have been this listening to this EP on YouTube (verging on dozens of times now) the entire week and I do believe that's true re: one of the uploads being official. We live in an age where U2 gives away its new album to anyone with an iTunes account or an iPhone.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:00 am

version sound wrote:Yeah, people like the average poster on this board use Spotify to listen to stuff they already own, or check out (then possibly buy) stuff they don't. However, I think the average user probably just uses it as their personal music collection. My wife has a premium subscription and I don't remember the last time she bought music in any form.

i think serious music fans are always going to end up buying a physical copy of an album they like. i see the casual fan of the past buying greatest hits cd or top 10 singles, and those things are pretty much dead now. the music industry hasn't found a way to milk the 2014 casual fan and that is part of reason they continue to lose money. the new band is definitely up against the wall trying to make a name for themselves these days. new punk/rock/indie, etc. bands seem to make their demo or first ep free online, even if they press physical copies of it.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:36 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Also, is there a real difference between repeatedly listening to something on YouTube instead of paying for it and downloading something from a blog instead of paying for it? Did Ryan Adams upload it himself? If not, you're still kind of stealing it, aren't you?

I don't want to get into this debate, but I am fully on team VS here. I will say that I have been this listening to this EP on YouTube (verging on dozens of times now) the entire week and I do believe that's true re: one of the uploads being official. We live in an age where U2 gives away its new album to anyone with an iTunes account or an iPhone.

Free to us, but not free to them. Apple paid for that big time.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:37 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Free to us, but not free to them. Apple paid for that big time.

Of course they did (and I'm sure U2 got a nice payday), but they can afford it (I think they're the most profitable company in the world or one of them; and they also have a terrible environmental and labor record) so I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. :D

On the other hand, they admittedly do make very good products.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:16 am

yourenotevil wrote:i think serious music fans are always going to end up buying a physical copy of an album they like.

I'm not so sure this is true for people under, say, 20 who think in terms of songs on a device rather than albums or even singles in some physical format.

JGJR wrote:...I do believe that's true re: one of the uploads being official.

If so, that's fair game, obviously. There are definitely tons of full albums on YouTube that are absolutely not official uploads, though.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Not sure if this has been covered, but this is great.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/singer-r ... n-hannity/
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:03 am

I almost actually listened to this thing based on all the hype around here. Thankfully, Pitchfork stepped in just in time to let me know that it's not that good.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19778-ryan-adams-ryan-adams1984-ep/
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:07 am

version sound wrote:I almost actually listened to this thing based on all the hype around here. Thankfully, Pitchfork stepped in just in time to let me know that it's not that good.

Just saw this, too. Idiots.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 am

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:I almost actually listened to this thing based on all the hype around here. Thankfully, Pitchfork stepped in just in time to let me know that it's not that good.

The funny thing is that the review itself is pretty glowing. However they assign the numerical ratings is obviously complete bullshit. I think that Sal said before that it's not even the reviewers themselves who do it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:22 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

The funny thing is that the review itself is pretty glowing. However they assign the numerical ratings is obviously complete bullshit. I think that Sal said before that it's not even the reviewers themselves who do it.

I believe that. and I'll say this til I'm blue in the face but they would rate anything Kanye West does as 9 or 10, no matter what. When metal became cool with hipsters, they started reviewing that too. They slag the new U2 and praise Beyonce. GTFO.
gregpolard

Next

Return to daghouse