SSD vs Youth Of Today

SSD vs Youth Of Today

Postby tango fistula » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:25 am

HAHAHA

Didn't that thread title make your eyeballs hurt?

It hurt to type it.

OK....

Both introduced a violent judgmental element to the scene....One had a crew that would jump you
at the gig if you had a beer in your hand. The other had an all male castrati posse who would dress identical
and frown with arms crossed until you left the room.

Both made horrible music that DID NOT stand the test of time. It was NOT about good songs.
It was about Ideology and male bonding community activities.

Do ideologues ever made good music/writing/art?

If so...has any of stood the test of time?

The message is the medium and the medium is.....yes...tedium.
tango fistula

Re: SSD vs Youth Of Today

Postby matt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:28 am

A+
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:44 am

Disagree. Love both.

But my vote goes to Youth Of Today, as they never put out "Break It Up".
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:11 am

For SSD, I think "Get it Away" has stood up reasonably well. It's good 80s hardcore. I think it should be reissued, and not as part of a shitty greatest hits comp. The hard rock stuff they got into later is laughably bad.

YOT were cheesy and over the top to be sure. I loved "Break Down the Walls" when I was 16, but I don't really need to hear it ever again. I think "We're Not" (2nd Caroline mix) and the s/t 7'' have stood up reasonably well despite their flaws.

Neither band are something I really put on much.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 am

gregpolard wrote:Disagree. Love both.

They also never made anything anywhere near as good as Get It Away or The Kids Will Have their Say. Hell, I'll take How We Rock over anything YoT released.
Last edited by version sound on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Disagree. Love both.

They also never made anything anywher near as good as Get It Away or The Kids Will Have their Say. Hell, I'll take How We Rock over anything YoT released.

Time and place, I suppose. You were, by your own admission, kinda over HC by the time they were in full swing. For me, being 14 years old and hearing Break Down The Walls, etc. was a life changing experience and one that brought to light principals for me which I still live by, cheesy as that sounds.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 am

All that REV-type stuff just struck me as the same old shit from 5 or 6 years earlier. At the time, that seemed like a bad thing. We were living in a post-Revolution Summer world, after all. These days, I would probably welcome the old school approach. History has kind of buried SSD, which is 100% Al's fault for letting Power be the only official representation of the band.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:41 am

version sound wrote:All that REV-type stuff just struck me as the same old shit from 5 or 6 years earlier. At the time, that seemed like a bad thing. We were living in a post-Revolution Summer world, after all. These days, I would probably welcome the old school approach. History has kind of buried SSD, which is 100% Al's fault for letting Power be the only official representation of the band.

POWER is the worst. I don't know how he thinks/thought that was a good idea.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 am

matt wrote:A+

This.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:44 am

patient_ot wrote:the s/t 7''.

To be fair, this is the only YoT record that I ever really liked.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:46 am

gregpolard wrote:Time and place, I suppose. You were, by your own admission, kinda over HC by the time they were in full swing. For me, being 14 years old and hearing Break Down The Walls, etc. was a life changing experience and one that brought to light principals for me which I still live by, cheesy as that sounds.

I heard it when I was maybe 16 and I heard lots of similar NYHC stuff around the same time, too (much of which I liked more). I tried, I really tried with them and that record in particular, but it just never took.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:49 am

gregpolard wrote:POWER is the worst. I don't know how he thinks/thought that was a good idea.

Even as a confirmed SSD fan, I was like "what is this shit?" when I bought Power. I can't think of a worse career retrospective for a good band.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:POWER is the worst. I don't know how he thinks/thought that was a good idea.

Even as a confirmed SSD fan, I was like "what is this shit?" when I bought Power. I can't think of a worse career retrospective for a good band.

Yeah, I find the 1st 3 listenable and good for what they are. It's just not really my thing and yeah, the 4th album is just awful. I may have liked them more had I heard more of their stuff at a younger age (I avoided Power because it is a botch and of course there records were and still are ridiculously difficult to find)
Last edited by JGJR on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:01 am

We should all get lunch sometime so that I can explain straight edge hardcore to you's.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:11 am

gregpolard wrote:We should all get lunch sometime so that I can explain straight edge hardcore to you's.

I'd be up for that. :D
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:12 am

There is always this, too (which I actually like way more than the bands discussed in this thread to be honest).

JGJR

Postby dave123 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:10 pm

JGJR wrote:There is always this, too (which I actually like way more than the bands discussed in this thread to be honest).

I love this record despite the over the top lyrics. I had the cassette version of this and played it to death.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:29 pm

I still listen to every record YOT put out on a very regular basis. I still remember getting my hands on Break Down the Walls for the first time. I was blown away. I had already been straight edge for a long time in a minor threat sort of way, but this was a game changer. Everything from the clean collegiate vibe of the layout to the lyrical content fit right in with the way I lived my life. Plus, Ray is definitely one of the best front-men of hardcore. Amazing band... amazing energy... amazing message!

Not to take anything away from SSD, as there would not have been a YOT if SSD didn't exist. YOT was formed to bring back the straight forward take on hardcore that had fallen away when SSD and Negative Approach had called it quits or went more rock. However, I just don't find myself listening to SSD as nearly as often as YOT.

P.S. YOT never once made me want to knock drinks out of peoples hands or break their cigarettes. Those kind of antics came later.
dave123

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:42 pm

dave123 wrote:
JGJR wrote:There is always this, too (which I actually like way more than the bands discussed in this thread to be honest).

I love this record despite the over the top lyrics. I had the cassette version of this and played it to death.

Ha ha. Me too, though I had the 7". I think I dubbed the cassette from a friend because it had an additional song (which I don't like at all, actually, but the songs that made the 7" are great).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:45 pm

dave123 wrote:P.S. YOT never once made me want to knock drinks out of peoples hands or break their cigarettes. Those kind of antics came later.

I had heard that it was mainly a Boston thing (SSD/Slapshot), but I wasn't there in the scene in those days (a bit before my time) so I can't say for sure.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm assuming it was also Al's doing that SSD didn't participate in the big Gallery East reunion concert in 2010?.....and he didn't participate in the documentary either. The only live SSD representation at that show was Springa singing "Boiling Point" with Refuse/Resist.

I have that first Lifetime thing on cassette (which has one extra track than the 7").....I think Lifetime were OK in their early days, but didn't really get good until after the 'Background' LP....that first EP and Background were just unmemorable musically to me and Ari was still finding his way vocally (overly monotone vocals on those records). A switched flipped and then they produced a masterpiece in 'Hello Bastards'.
captain2man

Postby dave123 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:35 pm

captain2man wrote: A switched flipped and then they produced a masterpiece in 'Hello Bastards'.

I am still a big fan of their early output, but I couldn't agree more about the "switch flipping" and Hello Bastards being a masterpiece. I was a sucker for melodic bands related to the straight edge hardcore scene. Anyone into 2 Line Filler? "My straight edge mind finds the need to care!!!" Amazing.
dave123

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:52 pm

dave123 wrote:
captain2man wrote: A switched flipped and then they produced a masterpiece in 'Hello Bastards'.

I am still a big fan of their early output, but I couldn't agree more about the "switch flipping" and Hello Bastards being a masterpiece.

This basically except I actually love the 1st 7" but not Background (the remix from a few years ago is way better). And I think Tinnitus is where the switch really flipped as it was the first thing they recorded with their still intact lineup.
JGJR

Postby dave123 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:01 pm

JGJR wrote:
dave123 wrote:

I am still a big fan of their early output, but I couldn't agree more about the "switch flipping" and Hello Bastards being a masterpiece.

This basically except I actually love the 1st 7" but not Background (the remix from a few years ago is way better). And I think Tinnitus is where the switch really flipped as it was the first thing they recorded with their still intact lineup.

Good point. Isae aldy beau soleil is a ripper of a song. They were/are such a cool band all the way around. Dag Nasty had the '80s but Lifetime had the '90s. Anyone at the Detroit fest in the '90s where Lifetime played. There were kids literally crying.
dave123

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:58 am

dave123 wrote:
JGJR wrote:
dave123 wrote:

Good point. Isae aldy beau soleil is a ripper of a song. They were/are such a cool band all the way around. Dag Nasty had the '80s but Lifetime had the '90s. Anyone at the Detroit fest in the '90s where Lifetime played. There were kids literally crying.

Yeah, "Isae Aldy Beausoleil" has been (by far) my favorite Lifetime song since I first heard it 20 years ago after picking up the 7" at a Handy St show (pretty certain of this). I am biased since Ari and Dave P are old friends, but that's a great record/band regardless, of course. It's still odd that Lifetime generated that kind of reaction later on, though. I'll always think of them as one of many great local NJ bands at that time.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:08 am

I would easily rank Lifetime on a top 20 list of bands, for me.

I think the switch started to flip with the Tinnitus 7", and then the lights totally went on for Bastards.

The "reunion" album is freaking great.
gregpolard

Postby dave123 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:06 am

JGJR wrote:
dave123 wrote:
JGJR wrote:
dave123 wrote:

Yeah, "Isae Aldy Beausoleil" has been (by far) my favorite Lifetime song since I first heard it 20 years ago after picking up the 7" at a Handy St show (pretty certain of this). I am biased since Ari and Dave P are old friends, but that's a great record/band regardless, of course. It's still odd that Lifetime generated that kind of reaction later on, though. I'll always think of them as one of many great local NJ bands at that time.

When Hello Bastards hit, I don't think anyone knew the influence it would have, including the band. They were still playing to their old audience (ie. the hardcore scene) for the most part, which was somewhat hot and cold on the band depending on where you were. I caught one of their reunion shows at the Fest (in fact, seeing Lifetime again was the only reason I volunteered to help that year), and it was cool. Not quite the same, as the audience was different (ie. not just hardcore kids and no one was crying), but still really good. Dan is an awesome dude that always takes the time to say hello. The last time I saw him we talked Dillinger 4 and Billingsgate on the street. Nice.
dave123

Postby tango fistula » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:19 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:We should all get lunch sometime so that I can explain straight edge hardcore to you's.

Me too!
Since I had to suffer those bands and those people directly (playing gigs with them)
and watch their "fans" fuck up every show with graffiti and broken shit and fights
by all means I'm interested in hearing
the posi brotherhood message I didn't hear the first time.

Since I saw the Wipers play in front of 10 people the same week Bold played in front
of 600 boys and 3 girls its obvious I'm missing something important.
Last edited by tango fistula on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
tango fistula

Postby tango fistula » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:21 am

:bag:
tango fistula

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 am

dave123 wrote:
JGJR wrote:
dave123 wrote:
JGJR wrote:
dave123 wrote:

When Hello Bastards hit, I don't think anyone knew the influence it would have, including the band. They were still playing to their old audience (ie. the hardcore scene) for the most part, which was somewhat hot and cold on the band depending on where you were. I caught one of their reunion shows at the Fest (in fact, seeing Lifetime again was the only reason I volunteered to help that year), and it was cool. Not quite the same, as the audience was different (ie. not just hardcore kids and no one was crying), but still really good. Dan is an awesome dude that always takes the time to say hello. The last time I saw him we talked Dillinger 4 and Billingsgate on the street. Nice.

Dan is a super nice guy.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:23 am

tango fistula wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Me too!
Since I had to suffer those bands and those people directly (playing gigs with them)
and watch their "fans" fuck up every show with graffiti and broken shit and fights

Since I saw the Wipers play in front of 10 people the same week Bold played in front

I love the Wipers AND BOLD.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:32 pm

while I do acknowledge SSD's legendary status by popularity, I grew up on YOT's albums and live shows. YOT were accessible on the west coast (since SSD only played one gig in Calif) YOT were nothing of the status of SSD or even MINOR THREAT, but they were fun for what it was worth.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:58 pm

WrEtcH wrote:while I do acknowledge SSD's legendary status by popularity, I grew up on YOT's albums and live shows. YOT were accessible on the west coast (since SSD only played one gig in Calif) YOT were nothing of the status of SSD or even MINOR THREAT, but they were fun for what it was worth.

God, I love you Wretch :)
gregpolard

Postby dave123 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:16 pm

gregpolard wrote:
tango fistula wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Me too!

I love the Wipers AND BOLD.

Me too... however, I would probably go see BOLD over the Wipers. Just saying.
dave123

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:25 pm

i like all of it. sure, YOT are corny as hell but they made some good records.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby jason powell » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:08 pm

I never hated YOT, but, at one point early on, I did think that they benefitted a lot from hype and marketing and I felt that a lot of their fans were narrow minded and predictable.

Over the years, I think YOT's music has shown that they were a very decent band despite all the hype etc. My favorite YOT stuff is their demos. Really raw and just sounds like a bunch of honest kids playing music tightly as a band and having fun.

I don't know if they are better than SSD. SSD are a great band too, but I don't know. Power is a huge shadow over their identity. I never saw an SSD show, I was first exposed to them by that collection. It was horrible, and even after hearing Get It Away taped off a friend, Power was a deep first impression. Then again, how great a song is Glue, you know?
jason powell

Postby MJH » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:23 pm

I was shocked the first time I heard the Antidote single, to me Ray sounds just like Louie....
MJH

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:02 pm

power is bad, but it ain't that bad. it was all i had though, as the records were OOP and impossible to get and the boot lp was also hard to come by. you get half of kids, all of get it away, the demo and some decent tracks from the first metal lp.
yourenotevil

Postby jeffb01 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 pm

YOUTH OF TODAY!!!

great band. great energy. Super positive stuff. Judging a band by their fans is rough road. the band overall was not preachy - they saved that for the side projects - with the exceptions of "No More" and "We Just Might". I LOVE YOT and still listen to them all the time.

I agree Antidote was a big influence on them in the singing style department. I think 7 Seconds was, too in the lyric writing department.
jeffb01

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:37 pm

POWER def is the easiest way to get the entire GIA 12”, that’s true.
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 am

Youth Of Today for me. Even with all the sweat-pants, big white sneakers, growling vocals, sXe cornball lyrics and semi-meathead following, they gave me a kick in the pants and made me want to mosh around my room and stage dive onto my bed while pointing in the air (which I did). I also saw them live (1989 in Belguim, see grainy photo below) and I think any band you see live and enjoy is going to go up your lists of favorites. SSD put out some shitty-ass mullet-butt rock-metal LPs right? That should be so many penalty points that it's not even an issue.

FlexMyHead

Postby dave123 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:39 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Youth Of Today for me. Even with all the sweat-pants, big white sneakers, growling vocals, sXe cornball lyrics and semi-meathead following, they gave me a kick in the pants and made me want to mosh around my room and stage dive onto my bed while pointing in the air (which I did).

Best post!!! No apologies. Stoked.
dave123

Postby drew » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:37 am

As much as I still listen to a lot of the 80's HC I loved back in the day, I can't take either one of these bands anymore. Once Ray Cappo went Krishna I stopped taking him seriously & only was into Shelter for a short time. YOT had their moments and I have listened to the last 7" as part of my NYHC mix but that's it. SSD are just hokey. Good but not great band, to me anyway, once I saw Springa in suspenders and a kids' police hat, I had it. Plus, of all the bands that went "Rock" they did it the absolute worst.
Ray is at least a spiritual guy who has real convictions & is supposedly one hell of a yoga instructor so I can respect that. The SSD guys are a joke.
drew

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:31 am

drew wrote:As much as I still listen to a lot of the 80's HC I loved back in the day, I can't take either one of these bands anymore. Once Ray Cappo went Krishna I stopped taking him seriously & only was into Shelter for a short time. YOT had their moments and I have listened to the last 7" as part of my NYHC mix but that's it. SSD are just hokey. Good but not great band, to me anyway, once I saw Springa in suspenders and a kids' police hat, I had it. Plus, of all the bands that went "Rock" they did it the absolute worst.
Ray is at least a spiritual guy who has real convictions & is supposedly one hell of a yoga instructor so I can respect that. The SSD guys are a joke.

cmon man, if anything i respect al way more than ray. at least he stuck to his guns. ray cappo strikes me as a guy who will say and do whatever his audience wants him to hear and acts accordingly. yot have been milking it for like 20 years, at least. he's not as bad as porcell, but they are so wishy washy about krishna and the edge it is a joke. not that i care about that stuff personally, but ray and porcell know how to maximize the profit potential of their audience.
yourenotevil

Postby drew » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
drew wrote:As much as I still listen to a lot of the 80's HC I loved back in the day, I can't take either one of these bands anymore. Once Ray Cappo went Krishna I stopped taking him seriously & only was into Shelter for a short time. YOT had their moments and I have listened to the last 7" as part of my NYHC mix but that's it. SSD are just hokey. Good but not great band, to me anyway, once I saw Springa in suspenders and a kids' police hat, I had it. Plus, of all the bands that went "Rock" they did it the absolute worst.

cmon man, if anything i respect al way more than ray. at least he stuck to his guns. ray cappo strikes me as a guy who will say and do whatever his audience wants him to hear and acts accordingly. yot have been milking it for like 20 years, at least. he's not as bad as porcell, but they are so wishy washy about krishna and the edge it is a joke. not that i care about that stuff personally, but ray and porcell know how to maximize the profit potential of their audience.

What good is sticking to his guns if he doesn't let the music see the light of day? I've never been as much a hater of POWER as everyone else. At least some of the tunes are available. But, all SSD will ever be is some band from Boston from the 80's that went to shit.
drew

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:14 pm

drew wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

What good is sticking to his guns if he doesn't let the music see the light of day? I've never been as much a hater of POWER as everyone else. At least some of the tunes are available. But, all SSD will ever be is some band from Boston from the 80's that went to shit.

i don't agree with everything Al does or says, but I respect his conviction to not live in the past, unlike 90 percent of most old hc dudes. At least he let B9 print up shirts and posters, and he has said on his FB page that he is thinking about putting out the records again. He wasn't even in the All Ages Doc. It seems a little too rigid, but at least he is consistent. compare that to ray, who will form a 97 revival band (BT1000) when SXE became popular again, or reform YOT and shelter whenever he has a nice chunk of change coming to him. he isn't as much of a whore as porcell, but he is pretty close. also, i think it is pretty easy to say SSD are a much more legendary and influential band than YOT ever were. aside from SXE guys, i don't know anyone who really worships them.
yourenotevil

Postby drew » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:21 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
drew wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

i don't agree with everything Al does or says, but I respect his conviction to not live in the past, unlike 90 percent of most old hc dudes. At least he let B9 print up shirts and posters, and he has said on his FB page that he is thinking about putting out the records again. He wasn't even in the All Ages Doc. It seems a little too rigid, but at least he is consistent. compare that to ray, who will form a 97 revival band (BT1000) when SXE became popular again, or reform YOT and shelter whenever he has a nice chunk of change coming to him. he isn't as much of a whore as porcell, but he is pretty close. also, i think it is pretty easy to say SSD are a much more legendary and influential band than YOT ever were. aside from SXE guys, i don't know anyone who really worships them.

No way! YOT are (BT)1000X more influential and loved than SSD!! SSD are an ok band from what I consider the worst of all the major HC scenes. I always thought most of the Boston bands were kind of lame after '83 or so. DYS is the only one I really listen to anymore.....maybe some Jerry's Kids....my fave Boston groups are Only Living Witness & Sam Black Church....
drew

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:31 pm

drew wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
drew wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

No way! YOT are (BT)1000X more influential and loved than SSD!! SSD are an ok band from what I consider the worst of all the major HC scenes. I always thought most of the Boston bands were kind of lame after '83 or so. DYS is the only one I really listen to anymore.....maybe some Jerry's Kids....my fave Boston groups are Only Living Witness & Sam Black Church....

haha, i think we are not going to agree on this one then. i do love OLW though. i do think boston had a pretty great scene though, even aside from the sxe stuff.
yourenotevil

Postby MXV » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:59 pm

The Proletariat and The Freeze were way better bands that didn't get nearly the recognition as bands like SSD and Gang Green or even The F.U.'s (also great).
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby tango fistula » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:20 pm

MXV wrote:The Proletariat and The Freeze were way better bands that didn't get nearly the recognition as bands like SSD and Gang Green or even The F.U.'s (also great).

This.

Take the ideologue hard ass SxE asshattery out of Boston and you have a fun scene of Freeze, Gang Green,
Deep Wound, Unnatural Axe, Mission Of Burma, Proletariat, Psycho, Seige, Jerrys Kids, F.U.s, ect ect

And Connecticut had alot of fantastic bands that weren't YOT...hell any note you want to pick out of any song from Violent Children's set list kicks the crap out of anything the jock twins came up with themselves. YOT arent even in the top 10 best CT Punk/HC bands...my list...any order really...

Lost Generation
Violent Children
No Milk On Tuesday
C.I.A.
76% Uncertain
Vatican Commandos
Seizure
The Pist
Broken
Tapeworm

Oh didn't YOT say at one time they were NYHC?

My bad.

In that case they don't make my top 50 best NY punk/HC bands
tango fistula

Next

Return to daghouse