SSD vs Youth Of Today

Re: SSD vs Youth Of Today

Postby 77clash » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:02 pm

the world would be no different had neither of these bands recorded a note
77clash

Postby The Snake » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:59 am

For me, definitely YOUTH OF TODAY.
I like SSD, but only first two records (also demo tracks and that live track Boston Crew is great), but I think that YOT had much bigger impact than SSD. All YOT records are great and all are furious hardcore, so that beats SSD. As for what Ray and Porcell were and are doing after original YOT, I don´t care, important thing is what they did in YOT existence. I still listen YOT records with same enthusiasm as when I first heard YOT records in mid 90´s.
The Snake

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm not a fan of Y.O.T. That said, I did see them once though and they were really good.

SSD were much better.

As a New Yorker, I never really cared for NYHC. Boston and DC did it much better. And without the tough guy shit which took the scene over a few years after the 2nd wave.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:07 pm

dave123 wrote:
JGJR wrote:
dave123 wrote:
JGJR wrote:
dave123 wrote:
captain2man wrote: A switched flipped and then they produced a masterpiece in 'Hello Bastards'.

I am still a big fan of their early output, but I couldn't agree more about the "switch flipping" and Hello Bastards being a masterpiece.

This basically except I actually love the 1st 7" but not Background (the remix from a few years ago is way better). And I think Tinnitus is where the switch really flipped as it was the first thing they recorded with their still intact lineup.

Good point. Isae aldy beau soleil is a ripper of a song. They were/are such a cool band all the way around. Dag Nasty had the '80s but Lifetime had the '90s. Anyone at the Detroit fest in the '90s where Lifetime played. There were kids literally crying.

Yeah, "Isae Aldy Beausoleil" has been (by far) my favorite Lifetime song since I first heard it 20 years ago after picking up the 7" at a Handy St show (pretty certain of this). I am biased since Ari and Dave P are old friends, but that's a great record/band regardless, of course. It's still odd that Lifetime generated that kind of reaction later on, though. I'll always think of them as one of many great local NJ bands at that time.

When Hello Bastards hit, I don't think anyone knew the influence it would have, including the band. They were still playing to their old audience (ie. the hardcore scene) for the most part, which was somewhat hot and cold on the band depending on where you were. I caught one of their reunion shows at the Fest (in fact, seeing Lifetime again was the only reason I volunteered to help that year), and it was cool. Not quite the same, as the audience was different (ie. not just hardcore kids and no one was crying), but still really good. Dan is an awesome dude that always takes the time to say hello. The last time I saw him we talked Dillinger 4 and Billingsgate on the street. Nice.

In the early '90s, this was true where I was (New Brunswick), but by the time "Tinnitus" came out, the consensus was that they'd improved greatly and everyone flipped out over Hello Bastards. Maybe it's the hometown bias, though? And yes, Dan is a very nice dude. I think the last time I spoke to him he mentioned either D4 or Off with Their Heads covering something from the 2nd DYS album since I went to see DYS later that night.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Janelle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:11 pm

I like both bands, actually
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Stormy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:33 pm

We're Not In This Alone and the 1990 7" have both held up well for me, was never really into the earlier stuff. Don Fury sessions were good. Can't listen to SSD anymore besides maybe a few tracks off Get It Away. Fave Boston HC will always be the Jerry's Kids tracks from This Is Boston... LP. So perfect.

Here's a 320 of the entire YOT discog:
bg.firstpress.net/Youth%20Of%20Today%201985-1990.zip
It's all from the Rev remastered CDs, sorry. all tracks adjusted to same volume
Stormy

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:37 am

matt wrote:A+

Is an A++ allowable?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:39 am

The Snake wrote:...I think that YOT had much bigger impact than SSD.

That's like saying that Green Day had more impact than The Clash. Sorry, but there would have been no youth crew without the Boston Crew. There's your impact. SSD and their buddies started all that shit, for good or ill. So, no SSD means no YOT as you know them. It's easy to walk the path when someone has already cleared it for you.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:39 am

We get it, you guys hate straight edge :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:47 am

version sound wrote:

That's like saying that Green Day had more impact than The Clash. Sorry, but there would have been no youth crew without the Boston Crew. There's your impact. SSD and their buddies started all that shit, for good or ill. So, no SSD means no YOT as you know them. It's easy to walk the path when someone has already cleared it for you.

You hafta admit though YoT took the whole sports hardcore thing to a new level. Being a team player, looking out for your brothers, writing songs about how your brothers didn't look out for you, being a team player, being straight edge, being vegetarian, and of course, when having nowhere else to go, but having to take the boy scout shit to some next level, bringing a fucking cult into hardcore. All this, coupled with some sharp sports duds and a mean marketing team, saw YoT really take that whole meathead shit to a whole new level. Never forget that, Ray of Today won't never. XXX
Welly

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:00 am

Oh, for sure. They elevated something that was merely heavy-handed to something incredibly stupid. I have never been a fan of the old fashioned bro-down. That seems like some frat boy bullshit to me, which is the last thing I want to be associated with.
Last edited by version sound on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:02 am

version sound wrote:

Good point, even though the comparison of Clash & Green Day and SSD & YOT is kind of stretched.
When I said that YOT had more impact, I meant that they inspired more people to get involve with hardcore punk or straight edge than SSD, that is just the fact. You can also say for SSD, if there werent for Minor Threat, there would not be SSD and you can do like that to infinity. YOT pretty much started from scratch and when they started there were no straight edge hardcore in NYC (and not just NYC) and what they help to build after that had big impact on million kids all over the world. But that is just my opinion.
The Snake

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:04 am

The Snake wrote:When I said that YOT had more impact, I meant that they inspired more people to get involve with hardcore punk or straight edge than SSD, that is just the fact. YOT pretty much started from scratch and when they started there were no straight edge hardcore in NYC (and not just NYC) and what they help to build after that had big impact on million kids all over the world. But that is just my opinion.

So, do you think it's a good thing that they fucked it all up then?
Welly

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:06 am

They didn't start from scratch, because it had all been done before. Plus, weren't they from Connecticut? I was around at the time, and all that youth crew shit seemed completely regressive to me. I was way more interested in bands that were trying to do something new rather than the ones who wanted to take hardcore back to 1982.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:11 am

Welly wrote:
The Snake wrote:When I said that YOT had more impact, I meant that they inspired more people to get involve with hardcore punk or straight edge than SSD, that is just the fact. YOT pretty much started from scratch and when they started there were no straight edge hardcore in NYC (and not just NYC) and what they help to build after that had big impact on million kids all over the world. But that is just my opinion.

So, do you think it's a good thing that they fucked it all up then?

Well, I dont consider them saints or something like that, far from that. I could not care less for fashion trends they helped to build in hardcore and krishna stuff but you also cant deny their positive impact on bunch of people. Even if someone thinks that Ray and Porcell were or are assholes, lets not think that everyone who were inspired by YOT are assholes.
The Snake

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14 am

version sound wrote:They didn't start from scratch, because it had all been done before. Plus, weren't they from Connecticut? I was around at the time, and all that youth crew shit seemed completely regressive to me. I was way more interested in bands that were trying to do something new rather than the ones who wanted to take hardcore back to 1982.

Thing is though, those bands who 'wanted to take hardcore back to 1982' at that time, weren't. It was a different thing. I picked up some of those 7"s when they came out, one spin, got rid. Hardcore heavy metal. Different music, same name.
Welly

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:17 am

version sound wrote:They didn't start from scratch, because it had all been done before. Plus, weren't they from Connecticut? I was around at the time, and all that youth crew shit seemed completely regressive to me. I was way more interested in bands that were trying to do something new rather than the ones who wanted to take hardcore back to 1982.

I hope that by something new, you dont think bad crossover metal records.
They were from Connecticut originally, but moved to NYC pretty soon.
Last edited by The Snake on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Snake

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:19 am

The only Youth Crew record I ever owned in the '80s was the Crippled Youth EP. I liked that. I had no time for the REV stuff. I've listened to some of it since, and it's not bad, but it doesn't mean anything to me. There was definitely a whole different vibe to that stuff and the stuff that came out in '81/'82. For one thing, there was a hardcore formula by the late '80s, so the chance of anyone doing anything interesting was pretty slim.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:22 am

The Snake wrote:

Yeah, VS got into laying down some funky jams with his long curly locks and Doc Martens.

He did a stint on the mic for TICKLE ME EMO. They had an album out on Interscope in 1989 called 'Eat My Shorts'.

They later progressed to grunge with their 1991 sophomore effort 'Angst In My Pants'.
Last edited by Welly on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:22 am

version sound wrote:The only Youth Crew record I ever owned in the '80s was the Crippled Youth EP. I liked that. I had no time for the REV stuff. I've listened to some of it since, and it's not bad, but it doesn't mean anything to me. There was definitely a whole different vibe to that stuff and the stuff that came out in '81/'82. For one thing, there was a hardcore formula by the late '80s, so the chance of anyone doing anything interesting was pretty slim.

Crippled Youth, yeah, I also like that, way more than Bold.
What about Straight Ahead, they were cool and did not always fit in the youth crew clische.
The Snake

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:26 am

Welly, now you are making fun of me, ha ha!

Of course, there were some great bands and records in mid to late 80s that did not fit in some boring hardcore punk stereotypes, but why dis all youth crew hardcore bands from that period.
The Snake

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:27 am

The Snake wrote:Welly, now you are making fun of me, ha ha!

Of course, there were some great bands and records in mid to late 80s that did not fit in some boring hardcore punk stereotypes, but why dis all youth crew hardcore bands from that period.

Because they were shit? :lol:
Welly

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:28 am

The Snake wrote:I hope that by something new, you dont think bad crossover metal records.

Is that a shot at SSD? They were never crossover. How We Rock is a hardcore record, plain and simple. Yeah, it's probably got too many guitar solos, but it is not a crossover record. Neither is Break It Up. BIU is a hard rock record that has nothing in common with crossover. I thought BIU was ridiculous when it came out, but entertaining. I stayed away from How We Rock until the '00s based on the terrible title and cover, but it's actually a good hardcore record.

What I was talking about is the Revolution Summer bands and the bands that followed in their wake. Compare anything Dischord put out between 1984 and 1992 to those youth crew bands. Those bands were building on the foundations and making stuff that was new and interesting while the youth crew bands were just reducing eveything to slogans (or bro-gans) and sing-alongs. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:35 am

version sound wrote:
The Snake wrote:I hope that by something new, you dont think bad crossover metal records.

Is that a shot at SSD? They were never crossover. How We Rock is a hardcore record, plain and simple. Yeah, it's probably got too many guitar solos, but it is not a crossover record. Neither is Break It Up. BIU is a hard rock record that has nothing in common with crossover. I thought BIU was ridiculous when it came out, but entertaining. I stayed away from How We Rock until the '00s based on the terrible title and cover, but it's actually a good hardcore record.

What I was talking about is the Revolution Summer bands and the bands that followed in their wake. Compare anything Dischord put out between 1984 and 1992 to those youth crew bands. Those bands were building on the foundations and making stuff that was new and interesting while the youth crew bands were just reducing eveything to slogans (or bro-gans) and sing-alongs. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.[/quot

No, I didnt mean SSD. I meant about all those hardcore punk bands at the time that started to flirt with metal.
I agree with you on Revolution Summer bands, I love some bands from that period but I also love some youth crew bands...
The Snake

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:35 am

The Snake wrote:Of course, there were some great bands and records in mid to late 80s that did not fit in some boring hardcore punk stereotypes, but why dis all youth crew hardcore bands from that period.

Nothing personal. Greg is one of my favorite posters, and he's a youth crew baby. All that stuff that took hardcore and made it look like a team sport just rubbed me the wrong way. Even SSD in their letterman jackets were a turn off. I played team sports. I enjoyed playing, but I wasn't a fan of all the bullshit that went along with it, so I quit. I certainly didn't want to see hardcore bands that looked like the jocks in my high school. Most of those guys were actually nice, maybe because I grew up with them, but they were meatheads. I prefer to keep the meatheads out of hardcore.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:37 am

version sound wrote:Nothing personal. Greg is one of my favorite posters, and he's a youth crew baby. All that stuff that took hardcore and made it look like a team sport just rubbed me the wrong way. Even SSD in their letterman jackets were a turn off. I played team sports. I enjoyed playing, but I wasn't a fan of all the bullshit that went along with it, so I quit. I certainly didn't want to see hardcore bands that looked like the jocks in my high school. Most of those guys were actually nice, maybe because I grew up with them, but they were meatheads. I prefer to keep the meatheads out of hardcore.

Fuckin' amen to that!

Right, I'm off to spin the Meatmen.
Welly

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:41 am

Welly wrote:

STRAIGHT AHEAD, TURNING POINT, CHAIN OF STRENGTH... I call it good hardcore.
The Snake

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:45 am

version sound wrote:
The Snake wrote:Of course, there were some great bands and records in mid to late 80s that did not fit in some boring hardcore punk stereotypes, but why dis all youth crew hardcore bands from that period.

Nothing personal. Greg is one of my favorite posters, and he's a youth crew baby. All that stuff that took hardcore and made it look like a team sport just rubbed me the wrong way. Even SSD in their letterman jackets were a turn off. I played team sports. I enjoyed playing, but I wasn't a fan of all the bullshit that went along with it, so I quit. I certainly didn't want to see hardcore bands that looked like the jocks in my high school. Most of those guys were actually nice, maybe because I grew up with them, but they were meatheads. I prefer to keep the meatheads out of hardcore.

Well, I can understand that. The thing is that people who are here into youth crew hardcore are not meatheads. Actually, there are more meatheads into crust here where I live.
The Snake

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:47 am

Welly wrote:
The Snake wrote:

Yeah, VS got into laying down some funky jams with his long curly locks and Doc Martens.

He did a stint on the mic for TICKLE ME EMO. They had an album out on Interscope in 1989 called 'Eat My Shorts'.

They later progressed to grunge with their 1991 sophomore effort 'Angst In My Pants'.

And then Sparks sued them out of existence for taking the title of one of their albums (one of my favorites of theirs, actually).
JGJR

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:50 am

The Snake wrote:
Welly wrote:

I can tell.

You can't take a joke.

Back in the day man, I was too busy sat in my room dressed in black with my black spiky hair, worrying about animals, parents, school, racism, sexism, war, government, bands going metal, and the cops. And I definitely didn't like sports.
Welly

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:51 am

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:
The Snake wrote:

And then Sparks sued them out of existence for taking the title of one of their albums (one of my favorites of theirs, actually).

If one of those titles actually got used, then congratulations to whoever that was.
Welly

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:59 am

Welly wrote:
The Snake wrote:
Welly wrote:

I can tell.

You can't take a joke.

Back in the day man, I was too busy sat in my room dressed in black with my black spiky hair, worrying about animals, parents, school, racism, sexism, war, government, bands going metal, and the cops. And I definitely didn't like sports.

Actually, I can appreciate good British humor and we Balkans are not so uptight.

I was also in the 90s busy with stuff you mentioned (plus the war was still fresh here) but that did not stop me to like good youth crew hardcore.
The Snake

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:06 am

The Snake wrote:...plus the war was still fresh here...

Shit, you had real stuff to worry about. I was safe in suburban America, so I had plenty of time to form opinions about shit that doesn't really matter.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:08 am

The Snake wrote:Actually, I can appreciate good British humor and we Balkans are not so uptight.

I was also in the 90s busy with stuff you mentioned (plus the war was still fresh here) but that did not stop me to like good youth crew hardcore.

Good man, I'm just off my face on coffee and punk rock, so I'm posting mindless gibberish on teh internetz.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:08 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:
The Snake wrote:

If one of those titles actually got used, then congratulations to whoever that was.

Indeed it did.

JGJR

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:06 am

Also, in 90s we had a huge problem here with nazi boneheads, so youth crew jock hardcore was pretty good soundtrack in fighting that nazi scum, ha ha!
The Snake

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:52 pm

My two cents..... I don't own a single SSD record but I own several YoT records. I "get" that YoT most likely doesn't exist if SSD hadn't come before them, but that doesn't mean "earlier is better or earlier has more influence". It's a term used mainly in literature, but using a historical lens is tough for music, it's hard to look at peers and what was going on in other places and then say one was better. It's like comparing Jordan and Lebron or Kobe. What is the point? Each had their place in time/history. When YoT was around, they toured (and not just the USA) and had a MUCH larger impact, kids from all over the world SAW them play, not just heard them. I saw them in fucking Belguim in 1989, they played in small venues all over Europe. They just didn't hit the bigger rock clubs, but played many alternative places. I don't even know if SSD toured the USA? Without a doubt YoT brought their music to more people and did more to expose the world to alternative music. YoT used to talk about SSD and wore their shirts etc and I'm sure YoT turned on people to SSD that might not have ever gave them a listen.

I guess I should check SSD out again, but when I heard the one with the SSD in silver letters on a road (or something) it sounded like cheese-rock. I have no clue what the lyrics were about. YoT might be "by the numbers" hardcore, but at least the lyrics were positive. Not sure what else SSD members went on to do, but YoT members have stayed productive in music, I mean just Walter went on to do Quicksand, Rival Schools, Gorllia Biscuits etc all of which made an impact and have fans to this day. Ray and Porcell have done various styles at various labels. I could careless if they are sXe or if Shelter "sold out".

Yeah, SSD might have blazed the trail, but it ended in lame mullet-rock solos.
FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Yeah YoT "reached more people", but what the hell does that have to do with the quality of the music? By that metric, Blink 182 is waaaay better than either.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:19 pm

version sound wrote:Yeah YoT "reached more people", but what the hell does that have to do with the quality of the music?

I was just saying why I felt YoT has had more of an influence on the punk/hardcore community. Not even going to address comment about a pop-rock band.

I know, your ears work better than mine, so talking about which is better is pointless.

I actually didn't even read the OP before I posted, which was basically trashing the bands and making fun of them I guess. Whatever dude.
FlexMyHead

Postby The Snake » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:42 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:My two cents..... I don't own a single SSD record but I own several YoT records. I "get" that YoT most likely doesn't exist if SSD hadn't come before them, but that doesn't mean "earlier is better or earlier has more influence". It's a term used mainly in literature, but using a historical lens is tough for music, it's hard to look at peers and what was going on in other places and then say one was better. It's like comparing Jordan and Lebron or Kobe. What is the point? Each had their place in time/history. When YoT was around, they toured (and not just the USA) and had a MUCH larger impact, kids from all over the world SAW them play, not just heard them. I saw them in fucking Belguim in 1989, they played in small venues all over Europe. They just didn't hit the bigger rock clubs, but played many alternative places. I don't even know if SSD toured the USA? Without a doubt YoT brought their music to more people and did more to expose the world to alternative music. YoT used to talk about SSD and wore their shirts etc and I'm sure YoT turned on people to SSD that might not have ever gave them a listen.

I guess I should check SSD out again, but when I heard the one with the SSD in silver letters on a road (or something) it sounded like cheese-rock. I have no clue what the lyrics were about. YoT might be "by the numbers" hardcore, but at least the lyrics were positive. Not sure what else SSD members went on to do, but YoT members have stayed productive in music, I mean just Walter went on to do Quicksand, Rival Schools, Gorllia Biscuits etc all of which made an impact and have fans to this day. Ray and Porcell have done various styles at various labels. I could careless if they are sXe or if Shelter "sold out".

I could not agree more with you. Except that I like some SSD records.
I also just wanted to say how YOT had much bigger impact on people (me included) into hc/punk community than SSD and I know lots of people who think the same way.
The Snake

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:24 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:I know, your ears work better than mine, so talking about which is better is pointless.

It's all a matter of opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong, just pointing out that popularity and "impact" don't necessarily correlate directly with quality. In terms of punk rock, I was a jaded old fuck by the time YoT came around, so their influence on a bunch of other later bands I've never heard and don't care about isn't a selling point.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Welly wrote:

Thing is though, those bands who 'wanted to take hardcore back to 1982' at that time, weren't. It was a different thing. I picked up some of those 7"s when they came out, one spin, got rid. Hardcore heavy metal. Different music, same name.

Did you listen to those YOT records on the wrong speed? There’s not a shred of metal in their sound. Or Gorilla Biscuits. Or Chain Of Strength. Or any of those older Rev bands apart from Judge.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby The Snake » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:54 am

Also, I don´t think that YOT music was regressive and that sounded like 82 hardcore.
YOT is nothing like White Cross for example.
At least in 1985. YOT was one of the rare bands in USA that played stripped down raw hardcore punk.
There are more bands now that sound like it is 82 then in the second part of the 80´s.
The Snake

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:53 am

Obviously, the band you grew up with will be the one that's most important to you. Other than Swiz (who didn't even necessarily consider themselves a hardcore band), American hardcore was dead and gone for me by maybe 1987. As some genius said, all hardcore is local, and that goes for the year as much as the city.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:11 am

Welly wrote:

This x1000 (this better than a thousand!)
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Gary » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:25 am

FlexMyHead wrote:My two cents..... I don't own a single SSD record but I own several YoT records. I "get" that YoT most likely doesn't exist if SSD hadn't come before them, but that doesn't mean "earlier is better or earlier has more influence". It's a term used mainly in literature, but using a historical lens is tough for music, it's hard to look at peers and what was going on in other places and then say one was better. It's like comparing Jordan and Lebron or Kobe. What is the point? Each had their place in time/history. When YoT was around, they toured (and not just the USA) and had a MUCH larger impact, kids from all over the world SAW them play, not just heard them. I saw them in fucking Belguim in 1989, they played in small venues all over Europe. They just didn't hit the bigger rock clubs, but played many alternative places. I don't even know if SSD toured the USA? Without a doubt YoT brought their music to more people and did more to expose the world to alternative music. YoT used to talk about SSD and wore their shirts etc and I'm sure YoT turned on people to SSD that might not have ever gave them a listen.

Also worth considering that Youth of Today's records were always available. Can't say that about SSD.

I love both bands,don't care who had more impact.
Gary

Postby Welly » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:37 am

Gary wrote:I love both bands,don't care who had more impact.

The Last Resort, obviously.

FlexMyHead wrote:I could careless

I could care less that you American morans still can't get this write.
Welly

Postby dave123 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:06 am

The Snake wrote:Also, I don´t think that YOT music was regressive and that sounded like 82 hardcore.
At least in 1985. YOT was one of the rare bands in USA that played stripped down raw hardcore punk.
There are more bands now that sound like it is 82 then in the second part of the 80´s.

I think I get what you are saying. However, YOT described themselves as regressive and were attempting to recapture the sound and energy of bands such as Negative Approach, SSD, etc., as most of those bands had moved on to some other musical form or broken up. On the other hand, I don't think their music went all the way back to the raw sound from '82. The influences were there, but YOT was way too unique in their own right to be a blatant rehash of the early '80s. You are right about their being a lot of current bands describing their sound as early '80s (or at least mid '80s), and a lot of them are really good... Violent Reaction, the Flex, Boston Strangler, Prisoner Abuse, etc.
dave123

Postby The Snake » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:28 am

dave123 wrote:
The Snake wrote:Also, I don´t think that YOT music was regressive and that sounded like 82 hardcore.

I think I get what you are saying. However, YOT described themselves as regressive and were attempting to recapture the sound and energy of bands such as Negative Approach, SSD, etc., as most of those bands had moved on to some other musical form or broken up. On the other hand, I don't think their music went all the way back to the raw sound from '82. The influences were there, but YOT was way too unique in their own right to be a blatant rehash of the early '80s. You are right about their being a lot of current bands describing their sound as early '80s (or at least mid '80s), and a lot of them are really good... Violent Reaction, the Flex, Boston Strangler, Prisoner Abuse, etc.

Exactly what you said. As for today bands sounding like 82, I dont have problem with that, if they are good in what they are doing, bring it on!
The Snake

Postby version sound » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:08 am

Just listened to Get It Away yesterday. Anyone who doesn't appreciate this record either wasn't really paying attention or has extremely questionable taste in hardcore. Top 5 of all time, easily.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse