Re: SSD vs Youth Of Today

Postby version sound » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:41 am

Top 5 would all be pre-'85 regardless.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby dave123 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:55 am

It's a rager that's for sure. I always put it on before Kids...
dave123

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:35 pm

yeah, serious crack smoking going on in this thread. who gives a fuck about the jock angle(which was probably more myth than legend), SSD made two great hc records and sit atop as one of the all time greats of boston hc. the freeze and proletariat are good, but second tier. next people are going to say the F.U.'s are overrated.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:41 pm

version sound wrote:Just listened to Get It Away yesterday. Anyone who doesn't appreciate this record either wasn't really paying attention or has extremely questionable taste in hardcore. Top 5 of all time, easily.

So much THIS that it’s not even funny.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby tango fistula » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:42 am

So no comment on the obvious double meaning of the thread title?

You guys is asleep.
tango fistula

Postby MXV » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:33 am

yourenotevil wrote:yeah, serious crack smoking going on in this thread. who gives a fuck about the jock angle(which was probably more myth than legend), SSD made two great hc records and sit atop as one of the all time greats of boston hc. the freeze and proletariat are good, but second tier. next people are going to say the F.U.'s are overrated.

If anything the F.U.'s are UNDERrated.

I'll go on record now as saying that the second Proletariat album (Indifference) is my favorite record to ever come out of Boston.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:40 am

I loved the F.U.'s BITD, but find them the least interesting XClaim releases these days.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:17 am

version sound wrote:I loved the F.U.'s BITD, but find them the least interesting XClaim releases these days.

You did put a song from My America on the mixtape you sent out to me (and other folks on here) a few years back. I remember because I dug it out a few days ago and have been listening to it on a boombox we have in our basement storage area (where I have been organizing our CDs and gradually putting them away). Anyway, it's a CD and double deck cassette player (along with AM/FM radio) and the CD part of it doesn't appear to work anymore, so I think I'll just play tapes on it. Thanks again for that tape. There is a lot of really good stuff on there. I like the non-HC stuff you put on there way more, but it's a cool mix regardless.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:19 am

I think if you check again you'll see that it was from Do We Really Want To Hurt You?, which is the only one I still own.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:24 am

version sound wrote:I think if you check again you'll see that it was from Do We Really Want To Hurt You?, which is the only one I still own.

I just checked (via Shazam) and you are correct! I had that one BITD, too, and kinda wish I still did though I never really got into them. I heard it when my interest in hardcore was waning, though. I dug the track on your tape for sure, though, but just dug most of the other tracks more.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:27 am

even if I hated the F.U.'s, I would love their style for fucking with the PC punks and MRR crowd during their run. If you ever read that Tim Yo interview with them it is hilarious.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:34 am

yourenotevil wrote:even if I hated the F.U.'s, I would love their style for fucking with the PC punks and MRR crowd during their run. If you ever read that Tim Yo interview with them it is hilarious.

Yeah, they did that so well that my 12 year old self was completely confused by it. I remember an ad (probably for My America) that read something like "God, Guns, Guts, and the F.U.'s". I didn't know if it was supposed to be a joke or not.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:36 am

JGJR

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:39 am

version sound wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:even if I hated the F.U.'s, I would love their style for fucking with the PC punks and MRR crowd during their run. If you ever read that Tim Yo interview with them it is hilarious.

Yeah, they did that so well that my 12 year old self was completely confused by it. I remember an ad (probably for My America) that read something like "God, Guns, Guts, and the F.U.'s". I didn't know if it was supposed to be a joke or not.

'Course it was. IIRC John Sox used to knock on doors in them days for some lefty group, and Steve Grimes is now a climate scientist.
Welly

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:07 am

You were clearly more savvy than I was, which admittedly wasn't a high bar.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:08 am

version sound wrote:You were clearly more savvy than I was, which admittedly wasn't a high bar.

I didn't know at the time, I did some research on 'em for a zine article years later. As a kid I thought the MRR baiting was hilarious. Then again, I was the same with Meatmen, Fear and White Flag.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:41 am

Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:You were clearly more savvy than I was, which admittedly wasn't a high bar.

I didn't know at the time, I did some research on 'em for a zine article years later. As a kid I thought the MRR baiting was hilarious. Then again, I was the same with Meatmen, Fear and White Flag.

I still love The Record, but I don't get the feeling that stuff is a joke with Lee Ving (unfortunately). The others, yes, though.
JGJR

Previous

Return to daghouse