Ethical Dilemma (Record Related)

Ethical Dilemma (Record Related)

Postby scannest » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:42 pm

My wife threw me a birthday party last night. As I am turning 45, everyone was asked to bring some singles and we'd take turns dj'ing.
Anyway, a work friend of my wife's came. I had never met her before. She proceeds to hand me two singles and says "Happy birthday. I've had these laying around my house for ever. Marilyn said you like these guys. I'd love you to have them." They are 2 unsealed, never played, still in their plastic wrap, White Stripes singles ("The Big Three Killed my Baby" and "Lord Send Me an Angel"). I looked around on eBay and it looks like I can get somewhere between $20 - $40 for each record. Should I ask my wife to give them back to her friend and explain that they are worth some money, or should I just sell them?
What are your thoughts?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: Ethical Dilemma (Record Related)

Postby drew » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 pm

They are yours now. Sit on them for a bit, you'll feel better. It's not like she gave you "Meet The Beatles" Mono still sealed. Jack White is all about collectability so everything he puts out has value.
drew

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:41 pm

yead, i'd say you can do what you want here. i might feel a little differently if she had bought them specifically for me, but she said they had been around her house for awhile, and maybe someone even gave them to her.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:58 pm

They are a gift. You are not obliged to return them to her. It was her responsibility to see if they had any value (and how in the heck did she just have 2 relatively rare White Stripes 7"s collecting dust for a while? That's the real question here) if she had wanted to sell them. That's how I feel at least. drew is right. This isn't Meet the Beatles in mono or Jan's Room we're talking about here.

Besides, they are great. Open 'em up, play 'em, drink a cold one, celebrate the fact that you have lived on this planet for 45 years and remember a time (the late '90s and early to maybe mid '00s) when Jack White actually wrote great songs instead of the crud he puts out now under his own name and with his other post-WS bands (love some of his productions, though!).* :lol:

*Alternately, you can also sit on them if you think they'll accumulate more value in the years to come. Either way, it's your choice.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse