Negative Approach Or Minor Threat..More of a shame?

Negative Approach Or Minor Threat..More of a shame?

Postby clash77 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Both great bands I grew up..But Ian's big head gets the nod here..NA still tour..Meanwhile, the primadonna Ian does ???who cares
Ian wont even discuss MT without prodding..What a Cunt!!.Just ask BB..Fugazi was a fucking disgrace..Ian lives in his past while NA continue to forge ahead and cement themselves in HC lore..Hats off to them, The end..
clash77

Re: Negative Approach Or Minor Threat..More of a shame?

Postby 77clash » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Out of Step may be the best hardcore EP ever
77clash

Postby clash77 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:58 pm

77clash wrote:Out of ep may be the best hardcore EP ever

Ok Lew, I disagree but I love that record..One band knew what they did well, the vocalist from the other made it about him...Thats my problem.
1983 spelled the end for Ian, no matter how many here still worship him..Spare me please!
clash77

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:00 pm

Ian lives in the past by...making new music and not wallowing in nostalgia for what he did over 30 years ago? Yeah, that adds up. Ian is a very no bullshit, but nice, dude.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Both bands were a huge part of my listening diet as a teenager, but I don't play them as much anymore.

I probably listen to Fugazi more than MT these days by a longshot, and my appreciation of the former's music has only grown with time. I haven't spent much time with the Evens at all, and I don't own any of their records, but I gotta give Ian credit for not trying to do more of the same.

As far as NA and related projects, wasn't the NA reunion only like 1/2 of the original members? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, lots of poor quality demo releases being dredged up for sale repackage? As far as Brannon's post-NA projects, I thought Easy Action were awful and I never bothered to check out Laughing Hyaenas.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 pm

patient_ot

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:16 am

Laughing Hyenas were his Birthday Party homage and Easy Action were his Stooges homage. Both were decent, but I'd rather just listen to the BP and Stooges.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:43 am

Why do you guys engage with this bullshit? Unless the intention is to try and build an actual discussion around his troll-baiting nonsense?
Ian somehow lives in the past while refusing to discuss MT?! What the fuck does that even mean?

BTW, if you want to listen to Ian talk at length about his ENTIRE history with music, you can listen to this radio interview he did in April, 2014.

http://bandwidth.wamu.org/ian-mackaye-i ... the-blade/
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:25 am

sometime i gets mad when ian talk about major label and hatin and stuff he's not even punk evens suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:38 am

The half authentic version of NA playing these days was one of the two worst reunions I have ever witnessed. All that lazy gurgling and constant holding out the mic into the audience to avoid having to sing yourself was one of the most boring things I've ever witnessed. I'm sure they were great back in the day when they were an active band ( I never got to see them) but they have nothing to offer in 2014. (By the way the other worst was the Bad Brains at Riot Fest, followed closely by the Bhopal Stiffs at Riot Fest).
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby lewdd » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:04 pm

MXV wrote:The half authentic version of NA playing these days was one of the two worst reunions I have ever witnessed. All that lazy gurgling and constant holding out the mic into the audience to avoid having to sing yourself was one of the most boring things I've ever witnessed. I'm sure they were great back in the day when they were an active band ( I never got to see them) but they have nothing to offer in 2014. (By the way the other worst was the Bad Brains at Riot Fest, followed closely by the Bhopal Stiffs at Riot Fest).

I've witnessed all three of those events.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:12 pm

version sound wrote:Ian lives in the past by...making new music and not wallowing in nostalgia for what he did over 30 years ago? Yeah, that adds up. Ian is a very no bullshit, but nice, dude.

This. You can dislike his post-1983 music, but to say he lives in the past? Nuttiness and contrary to everything he's ever said and done though to be totally fair Dischord has been putting out seemingly more reissues or archival material than new material in recent years.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Thank God for that.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:13 am

Just to reiterate some tired old shit...

Every 'musician' has their reasons for continuing to make music, or reform their bands years after the fact. Some legendary bands reform, some don't, some do it for money, some don't. Whether people choose to listen to said music, or partake of reunions is their choice, and their choice alone. Just because someone has bought music from a band's back catalogue, it doesn't mean they also bought a share in the band. There are no dividends, they don't have a stake in the future decision making process of the musicians involved because they happen to own the ultra-rare first pressing of 500 of the debut 7", or the 180gm deluxe reissue on coloured vinyl with a t-shirt. Go to the gig or don't go to the gig, it has no fucking bearing whatsoever on anything.
Welly

Postby rawpowerNZ » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:58 pm

Kia ora, well put, Welly.
rawpowerNZ

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:19 pm

version sound wrote:Thank God for that.

What is this in reference to? What I wrote about Dischord?
JGJR

Postby Welly » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:22 pm

rawpowerNZ wrote:Kia ora, well put, Welly.

Why thank you.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:36 am

Welly wrote:
rawpowerNZ wrote:Kia ora, well put, Welly.

Why thank you.

I must concur. Now THIS is something that's a waste of time/outrage industry BS (complaining about reunions).
JGJR

Postby Knutsen » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:19 am

MXV wrote:The half authentic version of NA playing these days was one of the two worst reunions I have ever witnessed. All that lazy gurgling and constant holding out the mic into the audience to avoid having to sing yourself was one of the most boring things I've ever witnessed. I'm sure they were great back in the day when they were an active band ( I never got to see them) but they have nothing to offer in 2014. (By the way the other worst was the Bad Brains at Riot Fest, followed closely by the Bhopal Stiffs at Riot Fest).

Sounds like Old bands at Riot Fest generally suck.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby Welly » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Knutsen wrote:

Sounds like Old bands at Riot Fest generally suck.

Old bands or old fans?
Welly

Postby jeffb01 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:51 pm

MXV wrote:...By the way the other worst was the Bad Brains at Riot Fest...

That show was incredibly bad. I felt bad for the band members - they played awesome - It's just that it was obvious H.R. didn't want to be there. It seems to be hit or miss as to which H.R. will show up when they play. I've seen them so many times and are probably my favorite band, but MXV is right. I will never pay to see them again.
jeffb01

Postby SamDBL » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:42 am

The question of if Minor Threat will reform has always been silly. However, the question if Fugazi will reform is intriguing. I would've thought they'd have done by now, already. I'm sure Coachella and the like must be offering ungodly amounts of money.
SamDBL

Postby Michele » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:49 am

77clash wrote:Out of Step may be the best hardcore EP ever

I second this
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby john stabb » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:25 pm

I really enjoyed the NA show I saw @ Damage City Fest last year. The closest you're going to see to Minor Threat is a local DC Punk/Hardcore group called Supreme Commander covering one of their songs. And quite well, at that :!: Ian won't return to the past. Period. But he told me he really enjoyed/was impressed watching the recent G.I. gig @ DC fest on video. That's nice. 8-)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby jeffb01 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:35 pm

jeffb01 wrote:
MXV wrote:...By the way the other worst was the Bad Brains at Riot Fest...

That show was incredibly bad. I felt bad for the band members - they played awesome - It's just that it was obvious H.R. didn't want to be there. It seems to be hit or miss as to which H.R. will show up when they play. I've seen them so many times and are probably my favorite band, but MXV is right. I will never pay to see them again.

I'm watching "Bad Brains: A Band in DC"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofQQI3j6Sb8#t=48

There's a lot of footage of that awful show and how pissed the band was at HR...
jeffb01

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:49 am

It's a well-done doc but (what most people who loved the Brains in their heyday should've just done long ago is ...) gave up on them when A) all that shit went down with (you really couldn't find a sweeter human in a band) Biscuit of Big Boys due to their (or HR's?) hateful homophobia. B) They stopped making outstanding recordings after the ROIR cassette. Rock for Life will always be an embarrassing half-assed attempt to redo some brilliant songs with Rick Ocazek ruining a monster of a band. and C) reading HR's brutal interviews about (I'm paraphrasing here but you get it) "How Gays will all die of Aids" + "I and I must beat my woman when she needs it".

That was pretty early on so I didn't wait till the controversial singer stopped remotely caring about doing any of his Punk songs and making the Bad Brains stage his little mic-mumbling-bullet proofed vest-wearing-luggage-carrying-hobo-freak-show. And it truly blows my mind to hear anyone speak out in surprising disgust "Man, I can't believe he did that onstage! I mean he didn't do any vocals for the great hardcore songs & just sang the reggae, shit! That's the last time I'll ever see the Bad Brains!" Guess what :?: He's been doing that for the past 30 years :!: As a fan of what they once were - Stop enabling the little goofball by supporting that shit. This goes for his band members, too.

That doc just pisses me off so much and I even agree with Darryl in it about HR's "sabotaging his own band".

I'll see NA any day of the week with 2 original members compared to the original (with incredibly musically talented band members!) if HR is part of it.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Return to daghouse