Fugazi Demo

Fugazi Demo

Postby wALLton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:40 am

Punknews.org wrote:Discord Records has just announced the release of Fugazi's first demo recordings. Apparently, after playing ten shows, the band recorded a demo of 11 tracks at Inner Ear studios and gave copies to show attendees, though the tape only had 10 songs on it.

Now, the demo will be rereleased with all 11 tracks. Only one song from the demo has been "officially" released before- "In Defense of Humans" which was on the State of the Union compilation.

The release will be out this Winter on CD and vinyl.
wALLton

Re: Fugazi Demo

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:52 am

Just saw that. Very stoked!
Chris Shary

Postby Welly » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:06 am

Best shit they ever did next to Repeater.
Welly

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:16 am

I still have the copy I got from Ian, but I'll absolutely buy it properly mastered on vinyl.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:34 am

I like Fugazi a lot more than Beat Happening,
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:36 am

Can one of youse share the track list?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Welly » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:46 am

FUGAZI

Inner Ear Demo – January 1988

Merchandise
In Defence of Humans
Break In
Song #1
Bad Mouth
The Word Is
And The Same
Waiting Room
Furniture
Joe #1
Welly

Postby soulforce » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:03 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
soulforce

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Mine doesn't have "Joe #1" on it. I've seen listings with two versions of "Break In".
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby soulforce » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:20 pm

version sound wrote:Mine doesn't have "Joe #1" on it. I've seen listings with two versions of "Break In".

The 2nd "Break-In" is the "3 Songs" EP version. I know that for sure 'cause I've got the demo from at least three different sources, including the version you got (and all of them sound terrible, so this official release is more than welcome).
Last edited by soulforce on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulforce

Postby the mean » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:21 pm

This will also have a song that was recorded, but left off the copies that were passed around: "Turn Off Your Guns."
the mean

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Just looked around and saw some dead links that included "Joe #2". Whassat?

Yeah, I saw the official release includes "Turn Off Your Guns". Nice bonus. I'd buy it even if it was just the stuff I already have. A new LP has to sound better than a 26 year old tape, though the tape always sounded good.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:38 pm

version sound wrote:Mine doesn't have "Joe #1" on it. I've seen listings with two versions of "Break In".

Like we've talked about previously, I also have a version from the time with a live 'Suggestion' with Amy Pickering tagged on the end.

version sound wrote:Just looked around and saw some dead links that included "Joe #2". Whassat?

Yeah, I've seen that. Figured it was some clueless type who mistook the gap in the song for a different one.
Welly

Postby gunter1976 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:15 pm

Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:Just looked around and saw some dead links that included "Joe #2". Whassat?

Yeah, I've seen that. Figured it was some clueless type who mistook the gap in the song for a different one.

The recording of the second Fugazi live performance features an early version of And The Same, which is dubbed Joe #2 for the occasion by Ian. This might still have been the track listing title at the time of the demo.

Anyways, here's a link you might want to check regarding the gig I just mentioned: http://anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.co ... 7-fls-0002
gunter1976

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:02 pm

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gunter1976 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:18 pm

gunter1976

Postby plucky » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Ian gave me a copy back then, but mine had turn of your guns. Had no idea that there were copies out there without it. Weird
plucky

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:08 pm

plucky wrote:Ian gave me a copy back then, but mine had turn of your guns. Had no idea that there were copies out there without it. Weird

Yeah, every copy but yours, apparently. I grudgingly got my copy from him in exchange for Embrace at Hall of Nations. I got One Last Wish on the other side, so I have nothing to complain about.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby plucky » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:46 pm

version sound wrote:
plucky wrote:Ian gave me a copy back then, but mine had turn of your guns. Had no idea that there were copies out there without it. Weird

Yeah, every copy but yours, apparently. I grudgingly got my copy from him in exchange for Embrace at Hall of Nations. I got One Last Wish on the other side, so I have nothing to complain about.

Look smart ass. If you want to speak for "every copy but yours". Go for it. Be sure to put your foot in mouth first. I honestly had no idea that it was anything special to have this song included. Oh....Here's a photo of my cassette from Ian (feel free to conduct some hand writing analysis if you desire)

plucky

Postby 77clash » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 pm

maybe pea soup will be released next since i cant seem to get anyone to send me a copy
77clash

Postby plucky » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:19 pm

77clash wrote:maybe pea soup will be released next since i cant seem to get anyone to send me a copy

You wouldn't really be interested. I like it. But I like DC Go-Go and funky beats. I also like the Snakes.
plucky

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Jeez pluckster, take it easy. I wasn't doubting you, just pointing out that you seem to have the only copy with that song...and it's on the flip of the Pea Soup demo, which no one else seems to own. What exactly are you holding over Ian's head? Pictures of him being blown by a groupie while he smokes the biggest doobie you've ever seen? The stingy bastard didn't even include "Joe #1" on my copy.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:27 pm

version sound wrote:Jeez pluckster, take it easy. I wasn't doubting you, just pointing out that you seem to have the only copy with that song...and it's on the flip of the Pea Soup demo, which no one else seems to own. What exactly are you holding over Ian's head? Pictures of him being blown by a groupie while he smokes the biggest doobie you've ever seen? The stingy bastard didn't even include "Joe #1" on my copy.

I think you're confusing Ian with Pat Dubar circa Mind Funk. :lol:

I honestly thought the Pea Soup demo was something that existed only on the board since it is a running joke on here, but I guess I was wrong.

And Jawbox's old Silver Spring address! I know that area well from visiting family for 30 years.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby plucky » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:37 pm

version sound wrote:Jeez pluckster, take it easy. I wasn't doubting you, just pointing out that you seem to have the only copy with that song...and it's on the flip of the Pea Soup demo, which no one else seems to own. What exactly are you holding over Ian's head? Pictures of him being blown by a groupie while he smokes the biggest doobie you've ever seen? The stingy bastard didn't even include "Joe #1" on my copy.

I'm virtually hugging and kissing you right now my friend. I suppose now that I know that the song is pretty rare (I guess, who'd think that), I guess I should feel so special...and pretty...and precious...and special.

Who knows? Maybe I have it all because I'm such a nice guy
plucky

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Pffft. I'm the nicest guy there is, especially when it comes to sharing. Just ask our friend Dave B., he'll vouch for me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby plucky » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:47 pm

version sound wrote:Pffft. I'm the nicest guy there is, especially when it comes to sharing. Just ask our friend Dave B., he'll vouch for me.

He says your a sucker! ;)

but when your wish comes true
and there's no more you
we're still trying
plucky

Postby the mean » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:39 pm

This thread needs more name dropping.

plucky wrote: I suppose now that I know that the song is pretty rare (I guess, who'd think that)

I don't believe for a second you didn't already know this.
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:00 pm

the mean wrote:This thread needs more name dropping.

Around '89-90 I mailordered some records from Dischord and also wrote Ian a letter and said that I lived in Europe and most of the bands on his label broke up before touring Europe so would he do me a solid and dub me some Embrace videos so I could see how they held up live. He briefly wrote me back saying that he would do nothing of the sort as he was a fairly busy fellow. I was very impressed that he bothered to write me back. I was also provided with an Inner Demo that started off with Turn Off Your Guns. Kevin speaks the truth. I will see if I still have the slip of paper Ian wrote on to compare his handwriting.

Around Ian's 50th birthday I had posted a truly embarrassing video of a Pea Soup song (a la Replacement speaker video and me doing some fucking stupid douche dancing to it). I'd upload the demo but (as I think I've also mentioned) in another mailorder/letter, I asked Dischord if I could have some Fugazi stickers as I was going to bootleg the Pea Soup demo and sell it outside the upcoming Red Hot Chili Peppers show as a Fugazi demo. I got a terse reply that Ian and the other band members respectfully request that people who obtained non-publically released songs to keep them unreleased. I guess they didn't get my sense of humor, but I was bummed.
FlexMyHead

Postby wALLton » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:51 am

plucky wrote:
77clash wrote:maybe pea soup will be released next since i cant seem to get anyone to send me a copy

You wouldn't really be interested. I like it. But I like DC Go-Go and funky beats. I also like the Snakes.

I've heard this Pea Soup "release" bandied about here on the board for many years now, and I've never been able to deduce if it is in fact a joke or if there really is something recorded that was provisionally entitled "Pea Soup". Can someone fill me in with some hard facts? Did I really just ask to receive "hard facts" on here? Oh well...
wALLton

Postby plucky » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:16 am

wALLton wrote:
plucky wrote:

I've heard this Pea Soup "release" bandied about here on the board for many years now, and I've never been able to deduce if it is in fact a joke or if there really is something recorded that was provisionally entitled "Pea Soup". Can someone fill me in with some hard facts? Did I really just ask to receive "hard facts" on here? Oh well...

Pea Soup was a band....but more of a joke band. They played only one show at Fort Reno. It was Joey Picuri (Joey Pea - did sound for Scream and Fugazi), Franz Stahl, Kent Stax, Amy Pickering, and Ian Mackaye (on bass). It was this funk/punk/go-go/James Brown infused music. Honestly, I don't think many people would be that interested in it. That is the name droppings that The Mean request. And I couldn't care less if the mean or anyone else doesn't believe me when I had no idea that song was somehow rare and not many people have heard a studio recording of it. I just never paid that close attention. Those are the hard facts.
plucky

Postby wALLton » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:02 am

plucky wrote:
wALLton wrote:
plucky wrote:

Pea Soup was a band....but more of a joke band. They played only one show at Fort Reno. It was Joey Picuri (Joey Pea - did sound for Scream and Fugazi), Franz Stahl, Kent Stax, Amy Pickering, and Ian Mackaye (on bass). It was this funk/punk/go-go/James Brown infused music. Honestly, I don't think many people would be that interested in it. That is the name droppings that The Mean request. And I couldn't care less if the mean or anyone else doesn't believe me when I had no idea that song was somehow rare and not many people have heard a studio recording of it. I just never paid that close attention. Those are the hard facts.

Thanks! So this Pea Soup recording you have is of that entire Fort Reno show, or just some select track that was recorded from it?
wALLton

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:07 am

It's a demo.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby wALLton » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:13 am

version sound wrote:It's a demo.

Ahh, I see. And I take it Ian is not a fan of this demo, hence his reluctance to have it released to the masses. Shame, with the people involved it would be cool to hear it.
wALLton

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:31 am

Exactly.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:10 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Hal » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Hal

Postby gregpolard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:31 am

This rules, btw. They did a nice job w/ this release. I got the vinyl on Saturday at Princeton Record Exchange, along with the new U2 :)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:22 am

I think this demo might be my favorite Fugazi record. There's certainly a nostalgia factor at work -- listening to it takes me right back the Fall of 1988 at GWU -- but there's a loose, dubby vibe to this recording that I really dig. For instance, I love how on the break in "Waiting Room," you hear "Waiting Room" playing faintly in the background. And I love how Guy shouts "Pow" on "And The Same."
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Return to daghouse