Why L.A. Is More Punk Than New York

Re: Why L.A. Is More Punk Than New York

Postby johnnotkathi » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:54 pm

version sound wrote:
johnnotkathi wrote:Agree 100% w/Dave. Please don't tell me you're "the guy" who goes to a show, stands at the edge of the pit and gets pissed off when people bump/run into him. Similarly, if you are pressed up against the stage and get mad about stage divers, that (to me at least) does go with the territory..... :D

I've pretty much always kept the fuck away from the pit since getting trampled in the '80s. The only time I was near the front at a show whrere a pit started that I was surprised by was the Dag Nasty reunion. That place was packed with middle aged dudes and there was not a "LET'S SLAM" vibe in the air at all before some jackasses decided there needed to be a pit. I just got the fuck out. I thought that was kind of bullshit. There were like 5 guys who wanted to slam out of a crowd of hundreds.

"Non kids" slamming these days looks and seems pretty foolish....to me a sport for the young...
johnnotkathi

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:57 pm

Absolutely. Drinks were spilled. The floor was wet. I was not about to break my leg in a slamming incident at 42 years old.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:11 pm

version sound wrote:
I've pretty much always kept the fuck away from the pit since getting trampled in the '80s. The only time I was near the front at a show whrere a pit started that I was surprised by was the Dag Nasty reunion. That place was packed with middle aged dudes and there was not a "LET'S SLAM" vibe in the air at all before some jackasses decided there needed to be a pit. I just got the fuck out. I thought that was kind of bullshit. There were like 5 guys who wanted to slam out of a crowd of hundreds.

That you down the front?

Welly

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Nope. The mini-pit started about two notes in and I removed myself to the sidelines.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Earthdog, is that you next to the chick in glasses on the right? A little too blurry for me to tell.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby dave123 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:44 pm

Alright, here is where things get blurry. Well, at least for me. If there is one band that could get me to lose my better judgement and jump on a few heads in my '40s, it's Dag Nasty (especially the early songs like those that were played at that reunion). I get that there were a lot of older dudes in attendance, but we are talking about one of the best (if not the best) hardcore bands of all time. In my opinion, going nuts should have been mandatory.
dave123

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:53 pm

I was more excited by King Face.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:51 pm

i'm with dave. at certain shows(esp punk/hc and metal) shows, expect a pit. if you don't want to get stagedived on or hit, go to the back. if you are right up front expect to receive some damage. i can relate to the X show. one guy trying to hit people is really stupid. you see that at certain shows, like there was one guy doing at saint vitus and everyone else was standing there and clearly not going to mosh. he was drunk and making a fool of himself and almost got his ass kicked by the guy he was knocking into. at most shows, you just have to know what you are getting into and take what comes. i saw the cro mags awhile back and was standing in the audience away from the pit and when a certain song came on i was pushed out of the way by some 350lb dude so he could get up front and sing. shit happens.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Previous

Return to daghouse