My Favorite Record of 2013

My Favorite Record of 2013

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Thread to be updated if/when things change.

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: My Favorite Record of 2013

Postby obik » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:13 pm

and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby drew » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:21 pm

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds- Push the Sky Away
drew

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Bleached - Ride Your Heart
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 pm

1. Red Hare
2. My Bloody Valentine

That pretty much wraps it up for me.
Hello.
pedro

Postby mikeaz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:16 am

Parquet Courts-Light Up Gold
mikeaz

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:20 am

mikeaz wrote:Parquet Courts-Light Up Gold

One of my favorites, too. It will make my Top 10 list for the year, though I first heard it last year before its re-release on What's Your Rupture? earlier this year, so I don't know if it's technically eligible? Nevertheless, I've played that one more and more as the year has gone on. It's definitely had a bit of staying power. I've heard they're not so hot live, though.

pedro, Red Hare will definitely be in my Top 10 as well. I like m b v quite a bit, too, but other than the middle three songs, I can't help but be a little disappointed given the massive expectations.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:31 am

Hasn't changed since we did this a few month's ago - Allez Allez by Night Marchers.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:58 am

I think the only new record I've heard this year is "Target Earth" by Voivod. So I'm gonna go with "Target Earth" by Voivod.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:34 am

Red Hare
MBV
Superchunk
Joy Formidable
The Bronx

Trying to think of what else.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:47 am

gregpolard wrote:Superchunk

It's funny - calling I Hate Music a disappointment is so unfair, but that's how I think about it when compared to the almighty awesomeness of Majesty Shredding. Every new record can' t be better than a band's best ever, I get that. In theory. But I had such ridiculously high expectations.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:49 am

scannest wrote:

It's funny - calling I Hate Music a disappointment is so unfair, but that's how I think about it when compared to the almighty awesomeness of Majesty Shredding. Every new record can' t be better than a band's best ever, I get that. In theory. But I had such ridiculously high expectations.

Really? I love it after several listens. And I agree with you about Majesty Shredding being their best, too. I kinda knew they wouldn't necessarily top it with this new one, so in that regard it does live up to my expectations since it's really freakin' good!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 am

gregpolard wrote:Really? I love it after several listens. And I agree with you about Majesty Shredding being their best, too. I kinda knew they wouldn't necessarily top it with this new one, so in that regard it does live up to my expectations since it's really freakin' good!

There are a handful of tunes that sound more...Portastatic than Superchunk, if that makes sense. Not bad at all, just not Superchunk. And the H/C tune is kinda silly. All these middle age indie-rockers fondly remembering their H/C roots (and i say this as a middle age indie-rocker who has no H/C roots to look back on fondly).
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:57 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Really? I love it after several listens. And I agree with you about Majesty Shredding being their best, too. I kinda knew they wouldn't necessarily top it with this new one, so in that regard it does live up to my expectations since it's really freakin' good!

There are a handful of tunes that sound more...Portastatic than Superchunk, if that makes sense. Not bad at all, just not Superchunk. And the H/C tune is kinda silly. All these middle age indie-rockers fondly remembering their H/C roots (and i say this as a middle age indie-rocker who has no H/C roots to look back on fondly).

See, I dig that HC tune :) Am I considered middle aged yet at 32? I look back fondly on my HC roots and am still seeing HC shows from time to time though.
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:46 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I think the only new record I've heard this year is "Target Earth" by Voivod. So I'm gonna go with "Target Earth" by Voivod.

I've listened to twice as much new music as you.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:59 am

scannest wrote:

It's a bit of a grower, though I've only listened to it 3x. I definitely like it more with each listen. I think some of the songs, like "Me and You and Jackie Mittoo," are absolute stunners. But yeah, I don't think they could top Majesty Shredding. I've said this before, but I really do think (like you) that it's easily their best album. I caught a bit of (good-natured) flak on Facebook for saying that on one of my lists a few weeks ago, FWIW.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:02 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

See, I dig that HC tune :) Am I considered middle aged yet at 32? I look back fondly on my HC roots and am still seeing HC shows from time to time though.

I dig it, too, but I am 38 and on occasion look back fondly on my HC roots. :lol:
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:15 am

SOMETIMES "No Pocky For Kitty" is my favorite though, I must admit. But I usually go back to MS.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:40 am

gregpolard wrote:SOMETIMES "No Pocky For Kitty" is my favorite though, I must admit. But I usually go back to MS.

I think No Pocky for Kitty is their best '90s album, so we are on the same wavelength there for sure.
JGJR

Postby mikeaz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:02 am

JGJR wrote:

One of my favorites, too. It will make my Top 10 list for the year, though I first heard it last year before its re-release on What's Your Rupture? earlier this year, so I don't know if it's technically eligible? Nevertheless, I've played that one more and more as the year has gone on. It's definitely had a bit of staying power. I've heard they're not so hot live, though.

pedro, Red Hare will definitely be in my Top 10 as well. I like m b v quite a bit, too, but other than the middle three songs, I can't help but be a little disappointed given the massive expectations.

Parquet Courts is great live. I've already seen them a few times. You should check them out.
mikeaz

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:59 am

mikeaz wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Parquet Courts is great live. I've already seen them a few times. You should check them out.

They've played here about 3 or 4 times in the past year or so, but I have always had to miss them for a variety of reasons. I mentioned that I'd heard they weren't that great live based on a former co-worker who went to see them with Woods a few weeks ago and reported back on FB. He said Woods were great, though.
JGJR

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Off the top of my head I can't think of any album that came out this year that I would call my favorite. In fact I don't think I've heard many albums that came out this year. I think it's a sad year for music for me personally. My favorite band on the planet, Skinny Puppy, put out a new album this year but to me it was a letdown and is easily my least favorite of anything they've ever done. Mouth of the Architect put out a new record finally and it too was a big letdown to me.

What else came out this year? Help me people! My old mind can't remember what I have heard or purchased that was new as of this year.

Oh! Did the newest Kylesa album come out this year (Ultraviolet)? If so then that's my favorite record of this year so far.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby pedro » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:47 pm

MXV wrote:What else came out this year? Help me people! My old mind can't remember what I have heard or purchased that was new as of this year.

Red Hare: Nites of Midnite
My Bloody Valentine: mbv3
Voivod: Target Earth
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:13 pm

pedro wrote:
MXV wrote:What else came out this year? Help me people! My old mind can't remember what I have heard or purchased that was new as of this year.

Voivod: Target Earth

After careful deliberation, this was my pick for best of 2013.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Knutsen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:10 am

The KVELERTAK "Meir" album.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby Hal » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:35 pm

So far...

Red Hare
Clutch - Earth Rocker
Hal

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:44 pm

red hare lp.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Oh, I forgot about Fall Out Boy too.
gregpolard

Postby James » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:32 pm

Well, 2013 isn't over yet and I'm still waiting for the new Criminal Damage LP to come in the mail. Until then, this is still my favourite album this year so far.

http://derangedrecords.bandcamp.com/album/my-life-sucks-and-i-could-care-less
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby Knutsen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:13 am

Knutsen wrote:The KVELERTAK "Meir" album.

Shit, I wanted to edit my old post not quote/re-post. :oops:
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Return to daghouse