Postby Welly » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Last edited by Welly on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Re: Hardcore Bands Turned Metal...

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:39 pm

One of the very few.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby 77clash » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:10 pm

it can't be done
77clash

Postby MXV » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:12 pm

I liked Dr. Know when they went metal, although that last album wasn't nearly as good as This Island Earth was.

If you consider the second Agnostic Front album the metal one I liked that one.

Neurosis got way better when they turned metal. I thought they were a pretty mediocre hardcore band.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head so I guess Neurosis is the answer.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby gunter1976 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:53 pm

I'll put this one out here for all of you to ponder: Darkest Hour
gunter1976

Postby SamDBL » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:15 pm

I liked the majority of them better after they went metal.
SamDBL

Postby jeffb01 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:08 pm

I actually LOVE the second DYS album... but don't care for the first one.
jeffb01

Postby Gary » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:23 pm

I like a lot of hardcore bands metal records. I can't think of a single band who got better with it though.
Gary

Postby Chris Shary » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:45 pm

The seconds DYS record holds a special spot in my heart. I do love the Straw Dogs as well, but in general I'm not a fan of metal at all. I guess my main complaint has always been taking themselves very seriously, silly singing, and mind numbingly dumb lyrics. Musically a good deal of metal is kick ass, but then there's that singer wrecking it.....
Chris Shary

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:02 pm

77clash wrote:it can't be done

This...I can't think of a single example where I like it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Chris Shary wrote:in general I'm not a fan of metal at all.

This, too (with some notable exceptions).
JGJR

Postby jason powell » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:22 pm

gunter1976 wrote:I'll put this one out here for all of you to ponder: Darkest Hour

Darkest Hour is great, but I always thought of them as playing metal. Hardcore and post-hardcore influences abound, but they were always metal to me. Now, Damnation AD, they tread right on the line.

I guess Neurosis is metal, and I think they've definitely gotten better and better, but I think of them as sort of an abstract art project on a different plane than metal or any other typical genre.
jason powell

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:23 pm

jason powell wrote:
gunter1976 wrote:I'll put this one out here for all of you to ponder: Darkest Hour

Darkest Hour is great, but I always thought of them as playing metal. Hardcore and post-hardcore influences abound, but they were always metal to me. Now, Damnation AD, they tread right on the line.

I guess Neurosis is metal, and I think they've definitely gotten better and better, but I think of them as sort of an abstract art project on a different plane than metal or any other typical genre.

Damnation A.D. are a rare band that I do enjoy in this genre, but they started out mixing metal and hardcore, so they don't really count here.

I'm one of the few who finds Neurosis insufferably boring.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:45 pm

this depends on a lot of factors. most of the time, punk guys just can't pull off the transition due to lack of technique, shitty vox, bad production values and forever being linked to their hc past. and when i say bad production values, i mean the guys who produced the 4th ssd lp and 2nd AF lp and things of a similar nature. they just sound like shit for the most part. guys like roger and springa just didn't have the chops for metal. i guess DRI and COC would be at the top of my list as bands who crossed over successfully, but DRI stuck to the same formula and added some thrash and COC was a whole new band by the time they went metal for Blind.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby jason powell » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Yeah, DRI just grew out their hair, they were pretty much just a natural progression of what they were already doing.

The second AF record is one of my favorites. The production is weird and its almost as if everyone in the band doesn't know how to handle the double bass, like all the down beats sound like up beats. I remember thinking my tape was being eaten by my walkman when I first listened to it, I thought it was backwards or something. And then you have lyrics like "Public Assistance". But I seriously love that record. Everyone says that they are going metal on that record, but it doesn't sound metal to me- the breakdowns are raw and heavy, and lack metal style polish, but I really like it that way.

Also, I love the Suicidal records like How Will I Laugh and Revolution with Rocky George on them.
jason powell

Postby clash77 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Fact..D.R.I..AF..and C.O.C..were laughed at by 90..The experiment failed badly!..And to think there are still fans..haha..Sad...
clash77

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:48 pm

jason powell wrote:Yeah, DRI just grew out their hair, they were pretty much just a natural progression of what they were already doing.

The second AF record is one of my favorites. The production is weird and its almost as if everyone in the band doesn't know how to handle the double bass, like all the down beats sound like up beats. I remember thinking my tape was being eaten by my walkman when I first listened to it, I thought it was backwards or something. And then you have lyrics like "Public Assistance". But I seriously love that record. Everyone says that they are going metal on that record, but it doesn't sound metal to me- the breakdowns are raw and heavy, and lack metal style polish, but I really like it that way.

Also, I love the Suicidal records like How Will I Laugh and Revolution with Rocky George on them.

i love the 2nd AF record too. yeah, i would agree it sounds pretty tame by today's standards as to what passes for metal(or hc), but i can see why people considered it metal back in 86, esp when put up against VIP and UB. i guess one voice is a much more metallic record, but the production on that isn't good either! roger didn't really change up his vocal style while guys like springa and smalley did. but i think hardcore still sounds better with metallic influences (like the cro mags or the judge lp) as opposed to a hardcore band trying to sound like a metal band. who wants to hear gang green or YDI try to make a metal record when 1000 bands already did it much better than they did?
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 pm

clash77 wrote:Fact..D.R.I..AF..and C.O.C..were laughed at by 90..The experiment failed badly!..And to think there are still fans..haha..Sad...

actually no. COC were more popular on that early 90s run than they ever were as a hc band, but it was a different audience. i think AF always kept their hardcore fan base since liberty was much more hc sounding. either way, one voice was a big album for them and influenced a bunch of people(like jamey jasta from Hatebreed). DRI have been touring since 95 without releasing a record and still sell places out, so i don't think anything you said it accurate.
yourenotevil

Postby clash77 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:16 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
clash77 wrote:Fact..D.R.I..AF..and C.O.C..were laughed at by 90..The experiment failed badly!..And to think there are still fans..haha..Sad...

actually no. COC were more popular on that early 90s run than they ever were as a hc band, but it was a different audience. i think AF always kept their hardcore fan base since liberty was much more hc sounding. either way, one voice was a big album for them and influenced a bunch of people(like jamey jasta from Hatebreed). DRI have been touring since 95 without releasing a record and still sell places out, so i don't think anything you said it accurate.
..I appreciate your opinion
NYE..but I base my opinions upon on what I remember from that time..I have no need to produce fiction to impress anyone here..That's how it was at the time..take it or leave it..Those bands were relevant till '87 or so. You can disagree if you want..fine..I refuse to listen to the shit they recorded later..I could see the direction they were heading..Not for me..
clash77

Postby clash77 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:32 pm

To continue, There were Metal bands Like Carnivore, Overkill, Slayer etc that I liked at the time( and still do)..but to see these so called HC bands abandon their roots( which the bands mentioned did). for Metal just never worked for Metal..Cmon, You're smart enough to know that..
clash77

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:25 pm

Neurosis 'Word as Law' is their best but its more like Die Kreuzen and not really metal.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby kel » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:28 pm

If definitions are a bit vague, Suicidal Tendencies was certainly one of the first mainstream/punk bands to confuse their mohawk'd fans with the quandary "Am I listening to metal? Wait. Those metal heads are tools. But... I like it..."
kel

Postby obik » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:36 am

jason powell wrote:

Darkest Hour is great, but I always thought of them as playing metal.

Yup. They played DIY shows with punk bands in punk venues, but they were playing metal, even in '95. Mike's band before DH was just the same. More-shouty-chorusy, but still undeniably metal.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:15 am

clash77 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

..I appreciate your opinion
NYE..but I base my opinions upon on what I remember from that time..I have no need to produce fiction to impress anyone here..That's how it was at the time..take it or leave it..Those bands were relevant till '87 or so. You can disagree if you want..fine..I refuse to listen to the shit they recorded later..I could see the direction they were heading..Not for me..

maybe laughed at by close minded punks, but even some of that is debatable. AF definitely retained a lot of their original fanbase, and CFA helped them grow to a bigger audience. either way, AF were going metal at the same time most of NYHC was. DRI didn't really change that much and seems like they always had a big thrash/metal fanbase even before "crossover" came out. i am sure coc fans of the first lp were not into the band by the time Blind came out, but like i said, they were a completely different band by them. i know people who only like the pepper stuff as well.
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:42 am

Last edited by Welly on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:52 am

i like false liberty a lot, but they seem to be pretty forgotten by most. except for the brotherhood link, i never hear them mentioned by anyone at all.

DRI-if you like dealing with it, the later stuff is just as good. crossover is slower, but the songs are pretty much the same.
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:08 am

Welly

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:22 am

yourenotevil wrote:i like false liberty a lot, but they seem to be pretty forgotten by most. except for the brotherhood link, i never hear them mentioned by anyone at all.

DRI-if you like dealing with it, the later stuff is just as good. crossover is slower, but the songs are pretty much the same.

The Seattle chapter in the book I'm almost done reading now (Late Century Dream) mentions both False Liberty and Brotherhood in the section on Engine Kid.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:26 am

Welly

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:28 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:i like false liberty a lot, but they seem to be pretty forgotten by most. except for the brotherhood link, i never hear them mentioned by anyone at all.

The Seattle chapter in the book I'm almost done reading now (Late Century Dream) mentions both False Liberty and Brotherhood in the section on Engine Kid.

Never heard of this, so I looked it up. It lists a contributor as Noel Gardner (of the Quietus etc). I know this guy, he's local to me and orders the zine.

The Quietus is a great site, one of the few I really rate highly. That's very cool that he orders Artcore. He wrote the Arizona chapter, which is the one I've yet to read (it's the very last one).
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:34 am

JGJR wrote:

yeah, if i remember right greg anderson sang for FL in some capacity and then went on to brotherhood and then EK. seattle bands related to hc are on a pretty fucking short list.
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:37 am

Welly

Postby Welly » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:40 am

Last edited by Welly on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:25 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

yeah, if i remember right greg anderson sang for FL in some capacity and then went on to brotherhood and then EK. seattle bands related to hc are on a pretty fucking short list.

Yep and now he runs Southern Lord and is in Sunno ))). Part of the reason why there was such a small HC scene back then in Seattle is that there was a strictly enforced law that essentially prevented all-ages shows from happening at all for a few years like when Brotherhood was a band. The book goes into it in great detail.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Never heard of this, so I looked it up. It lists a contributor as Noel Gardner (of the Quietus etc). I know this guy, he's local to me and orders the zine.

The Quietus is a great site, one of the few I really rate highly. That's very cool that he orders Artcore. He wrote the Arizona chapter, which is the one I've yet to read (it's the very last one).

What bands does he cover in Arizona?

Yeah, he lives just down the road. He's pretty introverted with a unique sense of humour. Beard, always at gigs doing his looking-at-the-ceiling dance. :D

He also runs the local Big Issue, which is the UK magazine that homeless people sell to make money (if you don't know that already).

He's always given me good write-ups... http://thequietus.com/articles/08258-noel-gardner-straight-hedge-punk-hardcore

I just started in on it, but as far as I can tell, JFA, Meat Puppets, Mighty Sphincter and Sun City Girls (and probably others).
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:57 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yep and now he runs Southern Lord and is in Sunno ))). Part of the reason why there was such a small HC scene back then in Seattle is that there was a strictly enforced law that essentially prevented all-ages shows from happening at all for a few years like when Brotherhood was a band. The book goes into it in great detail.

sometimes history is better left unwritten.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:27 pm

yourenotevil wrote:sometimes history is better left unwritten.

I think you'd really enjoy it, actually. It doesn't just deal with Engine Kid, but lots of now forgotten or overlooked bands that were sort of on the periphery of grunge like Skin Yard, Vexed, The Gits, 7 Year Bitch, Gruntruck and others and it starts off with The Fartz, Ten Minute Warning and other early '80s Seattle punk bands and it goes into stuff like Skin Yard touring with Alice in Chains, etc.

That's just the Seattle chapter, BTW, but it is by far the most extensive and lengthiest of all the chapters in the book.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:51 am

C'mon, nobody actually likes the second DYS LP.
the mean

Postby the mean » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:55 am

Welly wrote:AF jumped on the metal bandwagon like many others, then off, then on, then off. The second LP was alright apart from the dodgy lyrics on that one song

Two songs. There were two songs with horrendous lyrics. Can't get with this LP at all.
the mean

Postby the mean » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:58 am

yourenotevil wrote:yeah, if i remember right greg anderson sang for FL in some capacity and then went on to brotherhood and then EK. seattle bands related to hc are on a pretty fucking short list.

http://www.bandtoband.com/band/false-liberty
http://www.bandtoband.com/band/brotherhood-us-2
http://www.bandtoband.com/band/engine-kid
the mean

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:39 pm

JGJR wrote:

I think you'd really enjoy it, actually. It doesn't just deal with Engine Kid, but lots of now forgotten or overlooked bands that were sort of on the periphery of grunge like Skin Yard, Vexed, The Gits, 7 Year Bitch, Gruntruck and others and it starts off with The Fartz, Ten Minute Warning and other early '80s Seattle punk bands and it goes into stuff like Skin Yard touring with Alice in Chains, etc.

That's just the Seattle chapter, BTW, but it is by far the most extensive and lengthiest of all the chapters in the book.

i was actually referring to southern lord and sunno. that books does sound interesting though. the PNW has always kind of been a wasteland for hardcore, but i don't know why. seattle-you had brotherhood and then undertow and those were the two really big bands of the sxe scene. you have all kinds of people from the east coast hc scene move out here to SEA and PDX, but most of them don't end up forming bands i guess. i was talking to an old sxe CT guy at sheer terror and he was telling me he wants to start like a rev/nyhc inspired band but he can't find a drummer. he said he knows guys that actually like bold and chain of strength but they would never wear the shirt or play in a band like that, and he said it was lame as fuck, like they are trying to protect their amebix crust image or something.
yourenotevil

Postby the mean » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Seattle has had major issues with all ages venues over the years, which has probably crippled the scene a bit.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:45 pm

the mean wrote:
Welly wrote:AF jumped on the metal bandwagon like many others, then off, then on, then off. The second LP was alright apart from the dodgy lyrics on that one song

Two songs. There were two songs with horrendous lyrics. Can't get with this LP at all.

Yep. Everyone remembers "Public Assistance" but "Shoot His Load" is given a free pass somehow. Anyway, I never liked this Lp regardless.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:48 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

i was actually referring to southern lord and sunno. that books does sound interesting though. the PNW has always kind of been a wasteland for hardcore, but i don't know why. seattle-you had brotherhood and then undertow and those were the two really big bands of the sxe scene. you have all kinds of people from the east coast hc scene move out here to SEA and PDX, but most of them don't end up forming bands i guess. i was talking to an old sxe CT guy at sheer terror and he was telling me he wants to start like a rev/nyhc inspired band but he can't find a drummer. he said he knows guys that actually like bold and chain of strength but they would never wear the shirt or play in a band like that, and he said it was lame as fuck, like they are trying to protect their amebix crust image or something.

My old friend and pen pal Rafael Dongon (who is a transplant from Hawaii) is in a hardcore band (sXe I think but don't quote me on that) in PDX called Unrestrained. I think they've actually played with Undertow. Anyway, this is them.

http://unrestrained.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/unrestrainedpdx

I guess you know of them because you liked them on FB?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:52 pm

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:

What bands does he cover in Arizona?

Yeah, he lives just down the road. He's pretty introverted with a unique sense of humour. Beard, always at gigs doing his looking-at-the-ceiling dance. :D

He also runs the local Big Issue, which is the UK magazine that homeless people sell to make money (if you don't know that already).

He's always given me good write-ups... http://thequietus.com/articles/08258-noel-gardner-straight-hedge-punk-hardcore

I just started in on it, but as far as I can tell, JFA, Meat Puppets, Mighty Sphincter and Sun City Girls (and probably others).

I finished the book earlier today. Others covered include Killer Pussy, a bit about The Consumers and The Feederz and other off-shoot bands, some of the other artier bands from the early '80s scene, the story of Placebo Records and there are interviews with Alan Bishop (Sun City Girls), Brian Brannon (JFA) and the guy who ran Placebo (Tony Victor). Noel's writing is really good and well-researched. He clearly knows what he's talking about. I actually liked this chapter way more than the Quietus column you sent a link to since it is not nearly as sarcastic/obnoxious in tone. It was actually one of my favorite chapters in the whole book. I highly recommend it, though like with all of the other chapters, parts of the full-length interviews (at the end of every chapter) are interspersed into the main section, so the repetition is kinda annoying. That's probably poor editing, though, but a minor complaint nonetheless.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:27 pm

the mean wrote:Seattle has had major issues with all ages venues over the years, which has probably crippled the scene a bit.

it also seems more like a rock n roll town. i'm sure the all ages thing doesn't help either. i guess you have to also add in that seattle is pretty isolated from anything else other than portland, and even that is a good 2.5 or 3 hour drive. i guess there is a fairly strong hardcore scene in tacoma(or used to be), bur hardcore is pretty fucking dead in portland. my friend plays in a 90s type of metallic hc band and there were like 40 people there for their record release show and it was mainly dudes in the other bands that were playing. if it's not japanese, crust, grind or pwoerviolence, not many people are going to show up to see your band play if you play straight up hc. and then shit like arctic flowers is big, but they have a lot of ties to the crust scene and that makes up a fair amount of their audience.
yourenotevil

Postby dave123 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:15 am

Welly wrote:
False Liberty
Sudden Impact

Stoked you mentioned both False Liberty and Sudden Impact. Sudden Impact was awesome; both 12"s are super cool. There were a good number of crossover style bands from Canada. Beyond Possession rocked this sound really well on the LP. The demo that came after the LP isn't as solid, but still cool. Anyone stoked on some Corpus Vile from Winnipeg? I will have to pull out that False Liberty 7" for a spin.

Does the Accused count? They really didn't "go metal" but definitely had a big metal influence that sort of progressed. Then again, they were always kind of their own thing once Blaine was up front. Kind of like DRI I guess and original COC up until Technocracy.
dave123

Postby Welly » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:43 pm

Last edited by Welly on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby dave123 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Welly wrote:
dave123 wrote:
Welly wrote:
False Liberty
Sudden Impact

Stoked you mentioned both False Liberty and Sudden Impact. Sudden Impact was awesome; both 12"s are super cool. There were a good number of crossover style bands from Canada. Beyond Possession rocked this sound really well on the LP. The demo that came after the LP isn't as solid, but still cool. Anyone stoked on some Corpus Vile from Winnipeg? I will have to pull out that False Liberty 7" for a spin.

Does the Accused count? They really didn't "go metal" but definitely had a big metal influence that sort of progressed. Then again, they were always kind of their own thing once Blaine was up front. Kind of like DRI I guess and original COC up until Technocracy.

Yeah, thought I'd let you mention Beyond Possession, otherwise there'd be no conversation. ;)

Other Canadian bands of this ilk of course was Death Sentence (although their first less-crossover album is a lot better) and Hype ...Life Is Hard Then You Die!

Accüsed counts, although they were pretty much always crossover. The first two albums are classic stuff.

Not heard of Corpus Vile from Winnipeg, although there was another one from Bristol.

Thanks for letting me throw out the Beyond Possession name;) Such a good band, metal or otherwise.

From seeing Death Sentence a number of times, I just don't think of them as metal at all, as they were so punk in a lifestyle sense. You are definitely right that the first 12" (not a pretty sight) is better. Definitely metal influence with a very punk attitude. The second LP is decent, more metal, but not as good as the first.

I forgot about Hype. I haven't pulled that record off the shelf for a long time. I don't remember it being that metal influenced. I will have to revisit.

Corpus Vile was legendary in Winnipeg. They did one LP on Fringe records. It's cool stuff, but it may not have aged well. One of their members (Derek) was a long time Propagandhi roadie in their early days. He also did a decent fanzine who's name eludes me right now.

What about Inner Anger? Not really known much out of Western Canada, but put out a decent crossover 12".

What about UK bands? Long Cold Stare?
dave123

Postby the mean » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Pretty sure I saw Inner Anger. Hold on a second.
the mean

Next

Return to daghouse