Hardcore Norfolk documentary

Hardcore Norfolk documentary

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:20 am

Looks interesting, to me at least. Given the fact that the Candy Snatchers were the only band that really broke out of that scene, I don't know how interesting it would be to non-locals.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Hardcore Norfolk documentary

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:27 am

Someone told me a funny story recently about how the Candy Snatchers tried to steal their equipment so they beat them up. I wish I could remember who it was.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:32 am

The Candy Snatchers might be the best live act I have ever seen. "Human Zoo" is still a flawless album after 15 years.
FormerLurker

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:52 am

I went to junior high and high school with Larry. I knew him, but not well. My older sister was friends with him and the rest of his crew (the M.U.D. and Face Reality guys). He was always a nice guy, which I can't say for some of the rest of that crew. I remember seeing the Candy Snatchers on the cover of MRR in the '90s and being pretty blown away. I was way out of touch with punk rock at that point and had no idea anyone outside of Norfolk/VA Beach had even heard of them. I've still never heard a note of their music.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:58 am

version sound wrote:I went to junior high and high school with Larry. I knew him, but not well. My older sister was friends with him and the rest of his crew (the M.U.D. and Face Reality guys). He was always a nice guy, which I can't say for some of the rest of that crew. I remember seeing the Candy Snatchers on the cover of MRR in the '90s and being pretty blown away. I was way out of touch with punk rock at that point and had no idea anyone outside of Norfolk/VA Beach had even heard of them. I've still never heard a note of their music.

They're one of a handful of bands (3, 4 tops) that I am a completist over. I was obsessed for a while. Still holds up.

The posthumous record kinda sucks, though.
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:07 am

FormerLurker wrote:
version sound wrote:I went to junior high and high school with Larry. I knew him, but not well. My older sister was friends with him and the rest of his crew (the M.U.D. and Face Reality guys). He was always a nice guy, which I can't say for some of the rest of that crew. I remember seeing the Candy Snatchers on the cover of MRR in the '90s and being pretty blown away. I was way out of touch with punk rock at that point and had no idea anyone outside of Norfolk/VA Beach had even heard of them. I've still never heard a note of their music.

They're one of a handful of bands (3, 4 tops) that I am a completist over. I was obsessed for a while. Still holds up.

I'm gonna try to guess the other ones. Husker Du, Son Volt and Leatherface? And maybe Come?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:09 am

JGJR wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

I'm gonna try to guess the other ones. Husker Du, Son Volt and Leatherface? And maybe Come?

holy FUCK who are you? Are you living in my crawlspace??

(Son Volt, no, only because The Search sucked.)
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:23 am

FormerLurker wrote:
JGJR wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

holy FUCK who are you? Are you living in my crawlspace??

(Son Volt, no, only because The Search sucked.)

I have just paid attention to your posts over the years. That's all. And I listened to Neko Case's Blacklisted this morning. I almost said her until I remembered that you don't like the more recent stuff she's done.
JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:32 am

Well, I have all her records, too. Even that Corn Girls one.
FormerLurker

Postby Welly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:39 am

I swear this 'documentary' thing is only going to end when they get down to making them about the 'scene' of April 1991 in a house on 32nd Street...
Welly

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:44 am

Welly wrote:I swear this 'documentary' thing is only going to end when they get down to making them about the 'scene' of April 1991 in a house on 32nd Street...

I agree, it's ridiculous. I mean, fucking Norfolk? Get outta here.
FormerLurker

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:37 pm

Well, I fucking LOL'd when I watched the trailer and some girl said, and I quote,

"Something is going to happen in Norfolk at some point sooner or later".

Hahahhaha, what a profound statement.

I went to Norfolk once to see Screeching Weasel play at King's Head Inn. Some band called Germ Flux (from Richmond maybe?) opened. Show was very uneventful, but ehh, it was pop punk.
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:49 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Well, I have all her records, too. Even that Corn Girls one.

I think that I have all of them except for that Corn Sisters record. Is it good?
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:46 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
Welly wrote:I swear this 'documentary' thing is only going to end when they get down to making them about the 'scene' of April 1991 in a house on 32nd Street...

SRSLY. What's next, Cardiff?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:52 pm

version sound wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

SRSLY. What's next, Cardiff?

The barrel's too deep for that.
Welly

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 am

FormerLurker wrote:

I guess you didn't see drew's post about the Staten Island H/C documentary...
;)
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Return to daghouse