Effigies - Live 1981

Effigies - Live 1981

Postby James » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:45 pm

I got this live set on a trade, so I thought I'd throw it up on my blog. Not too bad sounding, which is probably why was aired on WZRD. I'm pretty sure the song 'Blank Slate' was never released, and possibly never recorded?

http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca/2013/08/the-effigies-live-radio-broadcast-1981.html
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Re: Effigies - Live 1981

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:35 pm

thanks, still the number one band from chicago. i think they have at least a few songs that never got recorded, or maybe it was a demo that never got released, still hear different stories about there being one.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:05 pm

yourenotevil wrote:thanks, still the number one band from chicago. i think they have at least a few songs that never got recorded, or maybe it was a demo that never got released, still hear different stories about there being one.

I love The Effigies, but I have go with Naked Raygun here.

Anyway, thanks for this, James.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:09 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:thanks, still the number one band from chicago. i think they have at least a few songs that never got recorded, or maybe it was a demo that never got released, still hear different stories about there being one.

i guess naked raygun put out more consistent records over a longer period of time, but i would regard them as the thin lizzy of hc in regards to the other thread. i kind of lost interest in the effigies after the first lp, but i would put anything on remains non viewable up against most of what people consider to the be the cream of the crop for early 80s hc.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:09 pm

You guys are totally forgetting that the band in my avatar is from Chicago. It's excusable though since none of them live there anymore.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14 pm

gregpolard wrote:You guys are totally forgetting that the band in my avatar is from Chicago. It's excusable though since none of them live there anymore.

chicago hc/rock is like the bears. they had a couple of really good years but most people want to forget about all of those losing seasons.
yourenotevil

Postby pedro » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks, Jimmy.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:40 am

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

i guess naked raygun put out more consistent records over a longer period of time, but i would regard them as the thin lizzy of hc in regards to the other thread. i kind of lost interest in the effigies after the first lp, but i would put anything on remains non viewable up against most of what people consider to the be the cream of the crop for early 80s hc.

Hmm...All Rise, Jettison and Understand? don't have any skippable tracks IMO. I never really considered The Effigies a hardcore band, especially the later stuff, but they were more post-punk (or maybe 2nd wave UK punk; specifically The Ruts) influenced than anything even in the early days.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:45 am

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:You guys are totally forgetting that the band in my avatar is from Chicago. It's excusable though since none of them live there anymore.

chicago hc/rock is like the bears. they had a couple of really good years but most people want to forget about all of those losing seasons.

There have been plenty of good rock bands from Chicago (everyone from NR and The Effigies to Big Black to Screeching Weasel to some of the post-rock stuff in the '90s like Tortoise, The Sea and Cake, etc.), but overall I think you're kind of right at least in terms of comparing it to other big cities like NYC or LA and the amount of great bands each city has produced at least in overall terms. The soul/r'n'b that came out of there in the '60s was/is amazing, though. I'm talking about Jerry Butler, Curtis Mayfield, etc. and of course there was Chess Records and the whole Chicago blues thing (thogh many of the prominent artists were emigres from Mississippi and elsewhere in the South). Still, you have Sam Cooke, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Etta James, etc. Thus, as far as comparing its r'n'b/blues stuff, it's second to none IMO.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 am

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Hmm...All Rise, Jettison and Understand? don't have any skippable tracks IMO. I never really considered The Effigies a hardcore band, especially the later stuff, but they were more post-punk (or maybe 2nd wave UK punk; specifically The Ruts) influenced than anything even in the early days.

i always thought the more noise oriented stuff on NR records were boring. i would def consider the early effigies hardcore.
yourenotevil

Postby MXV » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:31 am

JGJR wrote:

This. Naked Raygun were super heroes in this City and still are. The Effigies were great but nowhere near as great as NR. I also think AOF were better than the Effigies but it's an awfully close race.

My only problem with The Effigies is that I saw them so many times since they reformed that I actually got tired of them. It didn't help that every show they played the exact same set. They never put on a bad show, I just suffered from overexposure. First world problems.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Welly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:35 am

JGJR wrote:I never really considered The Effigies a hardcore band, especially the later stuff, but they were more post-punk (or maybe 2nd wave UK punk; specifically The Ruts) influenced than anything even in the early days.

Of course they were a 'hardcore' band. Qualified by the where and the when. Revisionist bollocks is rife these days fair play. Of course they had U.K. Oi!/punk influences, and later decided to pay homage to Killing Joke, but many other bands that were 'hardcore' had wildly differing influences from each other and were still considered as such.

Naked Raygun were incredible, as were AoF. All 'hardcore' bands in their day.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 am

MXV wrote:
JGJR wrote:

This. Naked Raygun were super heroes in this City and still are. The Effigies were great but nowhere near as great as NR. I also think AOF were better than the Effigies but it's an awfully close race.

My only problem with The Effigies is that I saw them so many times since they reformed that I actually got tired of them. It didn't help that every show they played the exact same set. They never put on a bad show, I just suffered from overexposure. First world problems.

i know a few ppl who were bummed by the recent performances, mostly due to what they said was lack of energy and too many new songs. i would still love to see them, but i don't think they ever made it out west. NR have a bunch of great songs, but they can't mess with the effigies, at least to me. early AOF is great, but i lost interest after they got too husker du-ish, though some of that stuff is very good.
yourenotevil

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks Jimmy. I will have to give this a shot later. Can't download from Chrome or Firefox for some reason :cry:

Figured it out. My firewall program was blocking Chrome from connecting-weird :|
Last edited by earthdog70 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:57 pm

MXV wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I back your first paragraph completely. I will take the material on AOF'sCore next to just about any NR recording and that's saying something. I like AOF's Lps, too, but there's something special about those 7"s and comp tracks that still does it for me.

I mentioned this on the old board, but I have only seen The Effigies once since they almost never come east and I drove two hours to Hoboken to see them at Maxwell's back in 2008. I'm glad I did because they were great and I got meet John Kezdy after the show. He's a very nice guy, despite what Vic or others would say about him..
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:57 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Thanks Jimmy. I will have to give this a shot later. Can't download from Chrome or Firefox for some reason :cry:

That's strange. I use Chrome and was able to snag it just fine.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:I never really considered The Effigies a hardcore band, especially the later stuff, but they were more post-punk (or maybe 2nd wave UK punk; specifically The Ruts) influenced than anything even in the early days.

Of course they were a 'hardcore' band. Qualified by the where and the when. Revisionist bollocks is rife these days fair play. Of course they had U.K. Oi!/punk influences, and later decided to pay homage to Killing Joke, but many other bands that were 'hardcore' had wildly differing influences from each other and were still considered as such.

OK fair enough. I guess what I really meant was that they were (same as NR or AOF) were never a thrash band not like in thrash metal but as in like generic speedy hardcore, etc.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Oh and YNE, I think the "noise" (really just Gang of Four or Wire influenced songs) tracks on some of NR's albums are a nice change of pace from the faster, more anthemic stuff they're most known for.
JGJR

Postby tad ghostal » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 pm

JGJR wrote:
MXV wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I back your first paragraph completely. I will take the material on AOF'sCore next to just about any NR recording and that's saying something. I like AOF's Lps, too, but there's something special about those 7"s and comp tracks that still does it for me.

I mentioned this on the old board, but I have only seen The Effigies once since they almost never come east and I drove two hours to Hoboken to see them at Maxwell's back in 2008. I'm glad I did because they were great and I got meet John Kezdy after the show. He's a very nice guy, despite what Vic or others would say about him..

Vic seems to hold grudges forever. Albini better watch his back!
tad ghostal

Postby Welly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:51 pm

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:

OK fair enough. I guess what I really meant was that they were (same as NR or AOF) were never a thrash band not like in thrash metal but as in like generic speedy hardcore, etc.

I don't think that's what you really meant at all. :)
Welly

Postby akissfan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:25 pm

No love for Life Sentence?
akissfan

Postby MXV » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:48 am

akissfan wrote:No love for Life Sentence?

They came later so they were a later generation. Excellent band totally ruined by drugs and lawsuits.
MXV

Postby akissfan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 am

MXV wrote:

They came later so they were a later generation. Excellent band totally ruined by drugs and lawsuits.

You probably don't remember, but the first time I met you was at a LS show you were shooting at Reggie's. I was playing drums with LS, played with The Effigies. The Freeze were suppose to play but they never made it.
akissfan

Postby MXV » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:17 pm

akissfan wrote:
MXV wrote:

You probably don't remember, but the first time I met you was at a LS show you were shooting at Reggie's. I was playing drums with LS, played with The Effigies. The Freeze were suppose to play but they never made it.

That's right! This is not a knock on you but that was the emptiest I've ever seen Reggies when I've been there. I can't remember if other shows were happening that night or what but I was shocked by how few people showed up for it, but then I was more shocked by how bad Eric looked. That also may have been the last time or one of the last times I saw The Effigies.

I'm bummed that The Freeze cancelled. I've never seen them and from what I hear they decided to call it a day and stop playing now.
MXV

Postby akissfan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:46 pm

MXV wrote:That's right! This is not a knock on you but that was the emptiest I've ever seen Reggies when I've been there. I can't remember if other shows were happening that night or what but I was shocked by how few people showed up for it, but then I was more shocked by how bad Eric looked. That also may have been the last time or one of the last times I saw The Effigies.

I'm bummed that The Freeze cancelled. I've never seen them and from what I hear they decided to call it a day and stop playing now.

You're telling me...I was bummed as well. I really thought an Effigies/Life Sentence bill would bring some people in. Very disappointed. I remember they had an early matinee show before we played (bunch of kid bands) and then after we were done they kicked everybody out for a national act that I can't remember the name of. Place picked up quite a bit by the time they hit the stage. Cool place. I would definitely like to play there again.

Yes, Eric had got into a fight 2 nights before so he had quite a "shiner" going on. Pretty funny story behind it but I won't get into it.

I ended up leaving the band a short time later. The commute was just too much (as well as some other reasons) but I had a hell of a time while it lasted.
akissfan

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:35 pm

MXV wrote:
akissfan wrote:
MXV wrote:

That's too bad. Clif and his wife seem to be having major legal problems.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
MXV wrote:
akissfan wrote:
MXV wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. Why?
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:05 pm

JGJR wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
MXV wrote:
akissfan wrote:
MXV wrote:

Google Clifton Croce and Maricopa.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby MXV » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:23 am

akissfan wrote:
MXV wrote:That's right! This is not a knock on you but that was the emptiest I've ever seen Reggies when I've been there. I can't remember if other shows were happening that night or what but I was shocked by how few people showed up for it, but then I was more shocked by how bad Eric looked. That also may have been the last time or one of the last times I saw The Effigies.

You're telling me...I was bummed as well. I really thought an Effigies/Life Sentence bill would bring some people in. Very disappointed. I remember they had an early matinee show before we played (bunch of kid bands) and then after we were done they kicked everybody out for a national act that I can't remember the name of. Place picked up quite a bit by the time they hit the stage. Cool place. I would definitely like to play there again.

Yes, Eric had got into a fight 2 nights before so he had quite a "shiner" going on. Pretty funny story behind it but I won't get into it.

I ended up leaving the band a short time later. The commute was just too much (as well as some other reasons) but I had a hell of a time while it lasted.

Is Eric still living in an underpass or does he actually have a home now and is he clean? I don't think that band played out much again after that Reggie's show did they? I didn't hear of any other shows.
MXV

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:09 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
MXV wrote:
akissfan wrote:
MXV wrote:

Google Clifton Croce and Maricopa.

It says he was arrested earlier this year for a probation violation in Arizona (hence the Maricopa thing; had he no idea he was out in AZ), but I'm curious why and kind of afraid to click on some of those links to investigate further.
JGJR

Postby akissfan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:13 pm

MXV wrote:Is Eric still living in an underpass or does he actually have a home now and is he clean? I don't think that band played out much again after that Reggie's show did they? I didn't hear of any other shows.

Last I heard, Eric was doing OK. Would love to see all the guys and catch up with them but I've pretty much lost touch with them over the last year or so.
akissfan

Postby 106beatsthat » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:19 am

I didn't know the Effigies were so popular around here... since Jimmy's show got such a great reception, I uploaded the other two early shows in my collection for you guys.

April 10th, 1981 @ OZ, Chicago: http://www.mediafire.com/?8hg9br8jkz682d8
January 2m 1982 @ Mabuhay Gardens, SF: http://www.mediafire.com/?xcld4c53notda74

I haven't actually listened to either in a while but I'm pretty sure both are soundboard tapes (if poorly mixed ones). Excellent performances though!

And Big Black still takes the cake for Chicago 80s punk. Way it goes.
106beatsthat

Return to daghouse