Re: Robert Palmer

Postby pedro » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:30 pm

I'm pretty sure he's dead.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:10 pm

pedro wrote:I'm pretty sure he's dead.

Yep, though I have to be honest and admit that I didn't know or forget that he passed away before looking it up just now.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Michele » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:17 pm

I remembered just when reading this...
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:52 pm

is this the Husker Du cover? (can't view youtube at work)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:is this the Husker Du cover? (can't view youtube at work)

Yes. He did "New Day Rising."

He also helped the Comsat Angels get a record deal in the mid '80s and after that they put out Chasing Shadows, which was by far their best record since Fiction 4 years earlier (that was their 3rd Lp; their 1st 3 Lps are post-punk classics on par with early Cure, The Chameleons, The Sound et al.). I think that on this board, other than myself only Midge will care about that part, though. :lol:

I can't say I have ever cared for his music (what I've heard of it), but I credit him with having good taste.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:is this the Husker Du cover? (can't view youtube at work)

Yes. He did "New Day Rising."

He also helped the Comsat Angels get a record deal in the mid '80s and after that they put out Chasing Shadows, which was by far their best record since Fiction 4 years earlier (that was their 3rd Lp; their 1st 3 Lps are post-punk classics on par with early Cure, The Chameleons, The Sound et al.). I think that on this board, other than myself only Midge will care about that part, though. :lol:

I can't say I have ever cared for his music (what I've heard of it), but I credit him with having good taste.

Ah, I see now. So random and weird that he did that song. I had no idea until I read that Husker book a couple years back.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:35 pm

I had no idea by this and am a bit stunned. All I knew were his hits from the 80's which I hate the fuck out of, to this day. Total headache inducers.
SamDBL

Postby fiestaware » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:51 pm

JGJR wrote:I credit him with having good taste...

...in clothes!
fiestaware

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:32 am

Robert Palmer was a pretty cool dude. He covered "Pressure Drop" back in the 70s. A lot of his stuff isn't so great but I've always loved this song:

A year or so after this came out, Rod Stewart had a big hit with the suspiciously similar sounding "Young Turks."
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby danny » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:42 am

i've never really liked his music - but appreciate that he seems more plugged into the kind of music i do like. i never knew he covered husker du - which definitely elevates him in my eyes. also cool to learn that he helped out the comsat angels. i think i still have some of the early comsat angels wax.
danny

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:47 am

danny wrote:i've never really liked his music - but appreciate that he seems more plugged into the kind of music i do like. i never knew he covered husker du - which definitely elevates him in my eyes. also cool to learn that he helped out the comsat angels. i think i still have some of the early comsat angels wax.

I have the first 2 Lps and some singles of theirs on wax myself. I'd love to pick up Fiction on wax at some point, too. Very cool that you're a fan, too. They are still much too unknown/underappreciated. And your sentiments on Robert Palmer are exactly my own, too.
JGJR

Return to daghouse