Mobile Fidelity?

Mobile Fidelity?

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:12 am

Does anyone here invest in this shit? I've probably been wasting too much time on the Steve Hoffman forums reading posts by audiophile nerds about the best mastering of this or that. I recently invested in the MoFi SACD of the Pet Sounds stereo mix. Forever Changes is up for pre-order and I am thinking hard about getting that one too. Does anyone here bother with these, or are you generally happy with regular pressings? One thing that can be said for them is that since they are limited, they tend to increase in value after they go OOP, so you can always resell for a profit.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Mobile Fidelity?

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:43 am

I own a SACD of Big Star's #1 Record/Radio City and it sounds fantastic. That is the extent of my two cents other than to say that I've read that the quality varies wildly from release to release. Some are supposed "must haves" and some should be avoided. And they all seem to go up in value.
As far as high-quality audio, I love my Blu-ray discs. I own a bunch of Neil Young recordings on Blu-ray and the Stones' Let it Bleed and they sound leaps and bounds better than CDs and most vinyl pressings.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:20 am

I'm tempted by Blu-Ray, but I don't own a player. I also don't own an SACD player, but supposedly the CD layer of those discs are still a huge improvement, if only for the care taken in the mastering stage.
Last edited by version sound on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby matt » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:23 am

My gf's dad has almost a complete collection of MoFi vinyl. He recently gave us an extra copy of Sonic Youth's "Goo" that he had. It sounds great.
matt
Site Admin

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:34 am

Nice. MoFi doesn't do a lot of "alt. rock" or punk. That seems like a cool one, especially on vinyl.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:19 pm

The only one of these I've ever owned (at least that I can remember) is Joe Jackson's Night and Day. It is by far the best-sounding CD pressing (and maybe best sounding period though my vinyl copy sounds great, too). I just wish it was still playable as it somehow acquired a huge scratch that made it basically inoperable. I'ive never had that happen with another CD. Are they just more sensitive? I think it may have happened in a move. Anyway, I did find it used for $9.99 a long time ago.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby MXV » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:22 am

I have a few of their vinyl releases and on CD I have In Utero which I always thought sounded great and I also have Velvet Underground and Nico which I thought was fine but probably isn't any better than the current remastered CDs that came out years later.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:25 pm

I found an MFSL copy of Joshua Tree for $3.00 over Labour Day weekend. I intended to flip it, but after listening, I decided to keep it. I haven't heard the remaster, but it's considerably better than the original CD. Actually, that's an understatement. I've owned this record in various forms since it came out, and the MFSL version was the first time it gave me the chills. It took it from my 5th favorite U2 record to my 2nd favorite.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:04 pm

version sound wrote:I found an MFSL copy of Joshua Tree for $3.00 over Labour Day weekend. I intended to flip it, but after listening, I decided to keep it. I haven't heard the remaster, but it's considerably better than the original CD. Actually, that's an understatement. I've owned this record in various forms since it came out, and the MFSL version was the first time it gave me the chills. It took it from my 5th favorite U2 record to my 2nd favorite.

Wonder if that would translate at all to mp3 if you upload it. I doubt it. I don’t know what the Mobile Fidelity thing is anyway.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:30 pm

The current MOFI Silver Series LP of Echo and the Bunnymen's "Heaven Up Here" is definitely worth getting.

I don't think I have any other MOFI stuff. I do have a few higher end type LPs but they're not MOFI titles.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:57 pm

gregpolard wrote:Wonder if that would translate at all to mp3 if you upload it. I doubt it. I don’t know what the Mobile Fidelity thing is anyway.

With a decent bit rate, yes it translates. Mobile Fidelity licenses releases, then does their own mastering from first gen tapes.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse