That Metal Thread

That Metal Thread

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:26 pm

From The 13th Sun by Candlemass. Really good album.

Yeah, screams of Sabbath like nobody's business. Who cares. Great riffs. 'Tot' is a terrific song.
xxxMidgexxx

Re: That Metal Thread

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:09 am

Best of the non-Messiah albums, in my opinion.
tad ghostal

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:13 am

tad ghostal wrote:Best of the non-Messiah albums, in my opinion.

I definitely miss his voice, though.
SamDBL

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 am

"King Of The Island Grey" and "Death Magic Doom" were great albums. I loved Robert Lowe of SOLITUDE ETERNUS when he was singing for CANDLEMASS. They kicked as when they played Slim's in SF.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am

WrEtcH wrote:"King Of The Island Grey" and "Death Magic Doom" were great albums. I loved Robert Lowe of SOLITUDE ETERNUS when he was singing for CANDLEMASS. They kicked as when they played Slim's in SF.

I heard that Lowe struggled to remember lyrics live which is why they booted him
tad ghostal

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:19 am

tad ghostal wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:"King Of The Island Grey" and "Death Magic Doom" were great albums. I loved Robert Lowe of SOLITUDE ETERNUS when he was singing for CANDLEMASS. They kicked as when they played Slim's in SF.

I heard that Lowe struggled to remember lyrics live which is why they booted him

if he did, he sure fooled me at the SF gig :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:27 am

SamDBL

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:09 am

:lol:

just out of convo, I need to go through my stack of new releases I bought this year. I still have the new SATAN, MANILA ROAD and DARKTHRONE cd's still in the plastic.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:05 am

WrEtcH wrote:I still have the new SATAN.

Coincidence. I listened to 'Court in the Act' yesterday. That guy has a great voice and 'Hunt you Down' is a classic, but just wished they recorded that record better.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:26 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:I still have the new SATAN.

Coincidence. I listened to 'Court in the Act' yesterday. That guy has a great voice and 'Hunt you Down' is a classic, but just wished they recorded that record better.

that be Brian Ross and a new BLITZKRIEG album (w/ him singing on that too) is in the can and soon to be released.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:47 pm

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:30 pm

I did a review of Sabbath's 13 here:

http://sheamagazine.com/black-sabbath-thirteen/

:mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Michele » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:15 pm

wretch, get the darkthrone out of the plastic, trust me ;)
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 pm

Anyone here diggin' The Winery Dogs? More hard rock than metal but really good.

I had to dig out some Talas CD-R's until I order this one-Billy Sheehan 8-)
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm still desperately looking to get "Racing Time" by SANTERS.

Loved the title track from the Metal Battle comp in the 80's. I CANNOT find the LP. Its super rare and not too digitized.

Anyone?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:48 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I'm still desperately looking to get "Racing Time" by SANTERS.

Loved the title track from the Metal Battle comp in the 80's. I CANNOT find the LP. Its super rare and not too digitized.

Anyone?

http://depositfiles.com/ru/files/2dmysyv81

it's russian, but it looks like it is working.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:17 pm

GRIEF OF WAR "Mounting Crisis...'

I'm diggin their digga digga guitars though I'm like 6 years late for the parade.

If 'War and Pain' era Snake from Voivod sang for the first 2 Metallica records, it might sound like this.

Needless to say I love it.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby akissfan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Anybody remember the "Bullets" comp that came out in the 80's? It had Agent Steel, Megadeth, Dark Angel, etc...
akissfan

Postby Michele » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:07 am

if you are into early Death-metal stuff, feel free to check this band, quite solid stuff coming to my ears.
http://www.reverbnation.com/krydome?page
Michele

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:04 am

ANTHRAX's fill in guitarist from SHADOWS FALL is now permanent
http://loudwire.com/scott-ian-jon-donai ... n-anthrax/

looking forward to this

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Knutsen » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:11 am

I can only recommend KVELERTAK from Norway. Deathmetalrockpunk. Both albums are awesome and they are an outstanding live band.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby Hal » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:38 am

WrEtcH wrote:ANTHRAX's fill in guitarist from SHADOWS FALL is now permanent

Do you know whether Shadows Fall replaced Jon? Carrying on as a 4-piece? Or will he be splitting his time between both bands?
Hal

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:53 am

Hal wrote:

Do you know whether Shadows Fall replaced Jon? Carrying on as a 4-piece? Or will he be splitting his time between both bands?

from a discussion I had with a friend, he's very much still a member of SHADOWS FALL, but since he's doing double duty, they have a fill in on the road.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Hal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:03 am

WrEtcH wrote:
Hal wrote:

from a discussion I had with a friend, he's very much still a member of SHADOWS FALL, but since he's doing double duty, they have a fill in on the road.

Good to hear. Thanks.
Hal

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:33 pm

a bummer locally in the Bay Area. Jon Torres who played bass in such local Bay Area bands like HEATHEN, ULYSSES SIREN, WARNING, LAAZ ROCKIT and was member of ANGEL WITCH, passed away in his sleep.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Michele » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:56 am

wow, rip man, btw, looks like he was in some bands I really apreciated. :(
Michele

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Michele wrote:wow, rip man, btw, looks like he was in some bands I really apreciated. :(

yeah for sure. here's Jon w/ ANGEL WITCH and also with Lee Altus of HEATHEN on guitar. The latter one of HEATHEN

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby tad ghostal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Has anyone been following the Dark Angel reunion drama?
tad ghostal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:21 pm

I LOVE ANGELWITCH and RICH.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:33 pm

tad ghostal wrote:Has anyone been following the Dark Angel reunion drama?

is there any? would anyone even give a fuck about them outside of the bay area? hoglan laid it down on those albums though.
yourenotevil

Postby tad ghostal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:51 pm

yourenotevil wrote:

is there any? would anyone even give a fuck about them outside of the bay area? hoglan laid it down on those albums though.

Dark Angel's got a cult following, especially the "Darkness Descends" album. I'm sure they'd do well in Europe.

There's been plenty of confusion about the reunion. A few weeks ago it was announced that they were going to be doing some fests next year with original singer Don Doty. It was also announced that Hoglan would be involved, along with former members Eric Meyer and Mike Gonzalez. Then Hoglan came out and said that while there were discussions, nothing was confirmed. That was followed by statements from several members saying different things: Don Doty saying it would happen, Gene Hoglan and Mike Gonzalez saying that there were talks but nothing was confirmed, Jim Durkin saying that if a reunion were to happen that Ron Rinehart would be the singer, and Ron Rinehart saying that no one member should be releasing statements about a reunion when nothing has been agreed upon. I guess that it was Don Doty who was leaking announcements about upcoming appearances because Doty then announced that Hoglan wasn't going to be involved because of other commitments. Now the band has released a statement saying that they are working on doing some limited appearances in 2014 but, in fact, Don Doty is not included in any reunion. The reunion line up, instead, consists of Durkin, Rinehart, Gonzalez, Hoglan, and Meyer. Today, one of the fests that they were trying to book released a statement saying that because of all the confusing statements coming from the band, they weren't going to book Dark Angel no matter who was in the line up.
tad ghostal

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:55 pm

tad ghostal wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Dark Angel's got a cult following, especially the "Darkness Descends" album. I'm sure they'd do well in Europe.

There's been plenty of confusion about the reunion. A few weeks ago it was announced that they were going to be doing some fests next year with original singer Don Doty. It was also announced that Hoglan would be involved, along with former members Eric Meyer and Mike Gonzalez. Then Hoglan came out and said that while there were discussions, nothing was confirmed. That was followed by statements from several members saying different things: Don Doty saying it would happen, Gene Hoglan and Mike Gonzalez saying that there were talks but nothing was confirmed, Jim Durkin saying that if a reunion were to happen that Ron Rinehart would be the singer, and Ron Rinehart saying that no one member should be releasing statements about a reunion when nothing has been agreed upon. I guess that it was Don Doty who was leaking announcements about upcoming appearances because Doty then announced that Hoglan wasn't going to be involved because of other commitments. Now the band has released a statement saying that they are working on doing some limited appearances in 2014 but, in fact, Don Doty is not included in any reunion. The reunion line up, instead, consists of Durkin, Rinehart, Gonzalez, Hoglan, and Meyer. Today, one of the fests that they were trying to book released a statement saying that because of all the confusing statements coming from the band, they weren't going to book Dark Angel no matter who was in the line up.

i guess they would well at euro fests, but i don't think their albums have been in print(esp the first one) in years. i remember violence, forbidden andheathen and bands like that getting back together and no one seemed to give a fuck. as for the drama, i am thoroughly sick of band bullshit when it comes to reunions. just keep it under wraps until you are ready to play shows.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:23 pm

Cult of Luna 'Mariner' 2016

What a bizarre sound for a sludge/groove/extreme metal band, but I like it. Wonder where the hell I was when this came out.

A: Probably listening to electronica and political podcasts... :?

xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:57 am

Way to jump start an 8 year old thread to discuss a 5 year old record.

:roll:
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:24 am

Angel Witch 'Angel of Light' 2019

Not as good as their 1980 s/t debut by a long shot, but really solid new-ish album from Angel Witch.

'Death from Andromeda' is a silly, campy video for their best song on the album more in line with their first album. Odd to find this serious band taking the Sci-fi B movie/Ed Wood approach.

xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:37 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Angelwich

Oooh, two pieces of angel food cake with creme in the middle covered with fudge? Count me in!
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:46 am

version sound wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Angelwich

Oooh, two pieces of angel food cake with creme in the middle covered with fudge? Count me in!

xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 pm

What about the dude from Entombed kicking the bucket? I thought they were a helluva band.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:34 pm

Entombed were good to very good. 'Wolverine Blues' was them taking themselves a lot less seriously and it paying off well. What did that guy die from? He was very very young.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:40 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Entombed were good to very good. 'Wolverine Blues' was them taking themselves a lot less seriously and it paying off well. What did that guy die from? He was very very young.

I was curious of that, myself. I haven't heard. Yeah, I thought those first couple albums were just killer death metal. I thought Wolverine Blues took it to a different place, and I really love it. A total classic.
SamDBL

Postby tad ghostal » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:11 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Entombed were good to very good. 'Wolverine Blues' was them taking themselves a lot less seriously and it paying off well. What did that guy die from? He was very very young.

He had cancer.
tad ghostal

Postby patient_ot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:17 pm

I'm a huge fan of the first 2 Entombed albums but never gave their later material enough time. I know that "Wolverine Blues" was one of the first "death and roll" albums which was a style other bands around that time were also doing.
patient_ot

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:20 pm

patient_ot wrote:I'm a huge fan of the first 2 Entombed albums but never gave their later material enough time. I know that "Wolverine Blues" was one of the first "death and roll" albums which was a style other bands around that time were also doing.

At one point they splintered off into 2 bands. (Read: Entombed A.D.) Both bands sounded fine. I re-listened to 'Wolverine' last night again. Its a grungy ass album. Very guttural sounding. Still sounds good after all these years.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:32 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:At one point they splintered off into 2 bands. (Read: Entombed A.D.) Both bands sounded fine. I re-listened to 'Wolverine' last night again. Its a grungy ass album. Very guttural sounding. Still sounds good after all these years.

It's always weird when bands do that. I thought the band had just changed their name or something, didn't know there were two versions of the band.
patient_ot

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:11 pm

patient_ot wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:At one point they splintered off into 2 bands. (Read: Entombed A.D.) Both bands sounded fine. I re-listened to 'Wolverine' last night again. Its a grungy ass album. Very guttural sounding. Still sounds good after all these years.

It's always weird when bands do that.

Venom Inc. :lol: :lol: :lol:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Markonomicon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 pm

Was super bummed about LG.

First and third Entombed lps rule.

Nihilist stuff as well.

Left Hand Path is tied with Slowly We Rot as my favorite death metal lps.

Riff after riff.
Markonomicon

Postby SamDBL » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:28 pm

Markonomicon wrote:Was super bummed about LG.

Nihilist stuff as well.

Riff after riff.

Good taste. I liked clandestine, as well. I remember thinking Tampa (and to a lesser degree, the USA) had the whole death metal thing sewn up for a time until I heard Left Hand Path. It wasn’t groundbreaking, or anything. Just damn good.
SamDBL

Postby Markonomicon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:34 pm

SamDBL wrote:
Markonomicon wrote:Was super bummed about LG.

Nihilist stuff as well.

Riff after riff.

Good taste. I liked clandestine, as well. I remember thinking Tampa (and to a lesser degree, the USA) had the whole death metal thing sewn up for a time until I heard Left Hand Path. It wasn’t groundbreaking, or anything. Just damn good.

I like Clandestine (+ Crawl & Stranger Aeons eps). Not as much as LHP or WB. It had some great songs, Nicke's vocals were a bit weak. It would have been killer if LG would have re-recorded the vocals.
Markonomicon

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:40 am

Wolverine Blues and Left Hand Path came to me at the time in the 90’s when going from thrash to death metal was hard transition (going forward after multiple listens and time, it eventually sunk in) ENTOMBED was my band that go me through it. Of the later, “Uprising” in 2000 was great album. I need to revisit “Morning Star” which was solid too and less goofy like “Inferno”. Loved the ENTOMBED AD stuff. Saw their last show in SF three years ago. ENTOMBED definitely were among the classic rusted nail, Swedish Death Metal sound with the likes of DISMEMBER, GRAVE and BLOODBATH. it’s funny ENTRAILS is like a clone of ENTOMBED.

Not just Swedish Death Metal, but death metal in general, but ENTOMBED, DISMEMBER and AT THE GATES are my top 3, with the likes of DEATH and CARCASS in there.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 pm

I hate to have to start admitting this, but I'm growing a fondness for "neo-prog" or Nu-neo Prog metal. Or whatever name you wanna call it these days.

There's plenty of good songs on this album from Lucid Planet. Some dark, ambient prog metal like Tool or Porcupine Tree. Really like this album and the drummer is terrific (if its NOT programmed). :?

Also found music from Soen that's pretty damn good. And Wretch's find; KATATONIA. New albums are wonderful.
xxxMidgexxx

Next

Return to daghouse