Zep Remasters

Zep Remasters

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:59 am

For those of you who already own them (the regular nay-sayers can feel free to STFU), what's the verdict? Are they worth (re)buying?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Zep Remasters

Postby scannest » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:45 am

I have to say, they seem like a bit of a clip job on initial listen. The first record comes with a live CD, which is kinda cool, but the bonus tracks on the other discs are mainly rough mixes, instrumental takes, etc. Nothing particularly revelatory or exciting. Oh, and there are absolutely ZERO liner notes. Nada. The booklets for each set are nothing but photos with a page of credits at the back.
I mean, I bought them because I've never owned them on CD, but I doubt you'd find them necessary.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:46 am

scannest wrote:I have to say, they seem like a bit of a clip job on initial listen. The first record comes with a live CD, which is kinda cool, but the bonus tracks on the other discs are mainly rough mixes, instrumental takes, etc. Nothing particularly revelatory or exciting. Oh, and there are absolutely ZERO liner notes. Nada. The booklets for each set are nothing but photos with a page of credits at the back.
I mean, I bought them because I've never owned them on CD, but I doubt you'd find them necessary.

What's their late-night huggability quotient?
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:47 am

Do they sound good, at least?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:55 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:What's their late-night huggability quotient?

Not very huggable. Liner notes would have helped. Maybe a nice warm essay by David Fricke or Cameron Crowe.
scannest

Postby scannest » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:57 am

version sound wrote:Do they sound good, at least?

Truthfully, on my headphones there were some moments that sounded kinda blown out. Not like everything was loud, but the occasional kick drum would sound a little "in the red." But again, I've never owned these records on CD.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:00 am

scannest wrote:

Truthfully, on my headphones there were some moments that sounded kinda blown out. Not like everything was loud, but the occasional kick drum would sound a little "in the red." But again, I've never owned these records on CD.

I certainly don't recall anything like that on earlier CD versions. Bummer. I was hoping they might be on par with the Beatles remasters.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:06 am

version sound wrote:
scannest wrote:

Beatles remasters.

Now you're speaking my language. If I were to hug an album, it'd be the Beatles Mono Box.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:10 am

I think those are easily the best remasters I've ever heard.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Gary » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:51 pm

I'd say unless you really,REALLY,love Zeppelin (and I do) you could probably live without them.

I too found the lack of liner notes something of a disappointment, I guess they want us all to buy the deluxe boxes.
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:01 pm

I’m amazed when they do big reissue campaigns like that and don’t include liner notes.

Also, the Beatles Mono Box is the bees knees.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:15 pm

If you guys want to waste your money on completely worthless bullshit, have at it.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:48 am

i just got a good rip of LZI. the live cd is cool, i can't tell much difference between the remaster and the cd i own though. maybe the bass is a little more present. i would have to listen to both back to back to make any notes though.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:51 am

gregpolard wrote:I’m amazed when they do big reissue campaigns like that and don’t include liner notes.

Also, the Beatles Mono Box is the bees knees.

i guess this is more common these days. the hellhammer demos cd in 2008 had a "deluxe" version with a booklet of some kind and the basic version had nothing in it except writing and studio credits.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:10 am

I bought LZII, since it's the only one of the first 5 I don't have on CD or MP3. The CD itself is backordered, but I got a download. I've mostly listened to the bonus material, but I think it sounds pretty good, even on MP3. I'm enjoying the bonus material more than I thought I would. The unreleased song is awesome, even though it doesn't have vocals (a treat for the Hunters of the world). I think I might pop for the other two if the stuff I have on eBay sells.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:20 am

Instead of supporting starving punk and indie music, lets go out and give Led Zep some more money for a record we already have.

Great job.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:25 am

Show me a punk band a tenth as good as Zeppelin whose records I don't already own, and I'll gladly buy their entire discography.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:34 am

That's a trick question. EVERY punk band is better than Led Zep. So you better mortgage your home.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:39 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:That's a trick question. EVERY punk band is better than Led Zep. So you better mortgage your home.

You and Hunter should start a bad band.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:01 am

Just got the III double disc. These things are making me realize what a Zeppelin geek I am. About a year ago I told a friend that I had heard all the Zeppelin records so many times that I never needed to hear them again, yet here I am not only loving the remasters, but thoroughly enjoying the bonus discs of mostly alternate, rough, or instrumental mixes that only a real nerd could love. Viva Zep. Death to the haters.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:52 am

version sound wrote:Just got the III double disc. These things are making me realize what a Zeppelin geek I am. About a year ago I told a friend that I had heard all the Zeppelin records so many times that I never needed to hear them again, yet here I am not only loving the remasters, but thoroughly enjoying the bonus discs of mostly alternate, rough, or instrumental mixes that only a real nerd could love. Viva Zep. Death to the haters.

I haven't gotten these yet because I own all of their albums (not including Coda which I only have as part of the 10 CD box set with all of their stuff) on both vinyl and CD, but I would like to hear them. If I see them cheap enough, then maybe. I also have a bootleg box set and stuff, so I'm a pretty big Zep geek, too.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:35 am

I have all the Zep records on vinyl. Doubles of most, actually. I've owned countless copies on CD over the years too. I think the new remasters definitely easily beat out any previous CD version. I'm probably going to buy all of these. I'm definitely in for IV and Houses. PG is a definite also. Presence and ITTOD may depend on the bonus content.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:10 pm

version sound wrote:I have all the Zep records on vinyl. Doubles of most, actually. I've owned countless copies on CD over the years too. I think the new remasters definitely easily beat out any previous CD version. I'm probably going to buy all of these. I'm definitely in for IV and Houses. PG is a definite also. Presence and ITTOD may depend on the bonus content.

Are your copies all clean? My copies of IV and Physical Graffiti along with Presence and In Through the Out Door are pristine, but my copies of I, II, III and Houses of the Holy are a bit worn/rough around the edges, so I could use an upgrade. Any foreign pressings in that bunch? The box is the only CD version I've ever owned. I first got into these albums on vinyl (from my dad's co-worker's collection) and that's what made me a fan of vinyl from the get-go. This was 1989, so it was being phased out then, but thankfully that led me down a path where I got tons of great stuff people pay $20 or $30 for now for like $1.99 or somethiing similar since so few cared about vinyl in the '90s.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Some are copies I bought new in the '80s, so those are pristine. The older copies are also pretty clean. The box set seems to be the absolute LEAST favorite mastering on CD for the nerds at the Steve Hoffman forums, if that means anything to you.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:07 pm

version sound wrote:Some are copies I bought new in the '80s, so those are pristine. The older copies are also pretty clean. The box set seems to be the absolute LEAST favorite mastering on CD for the nerds at the Steve Hoffman forums, if that means anything to you.

I'm honestly surprised. It sounds fine to me, though I prefer the vinyl (of course), but the Hoffman folks are just too out there for me as far as their obsession with fidelity.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:15 pm

I owned it at one point, but I wasn't particularly paying attention to the sound. The new remasters do sound great to me, though. Much better detail and instrument separation. I think I paid $10 or $11 each for the 2-disc sets, which is stupid cheap. IMO, they're worth buying/rebuying, at least for your favorites.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:46 pm

version sound wrote:I owned it at one point, but I wasn't particularly paying attention to the sound. The new remasters do sound great to me, though. Much better detail and instrument separation. I think I paid $10 or $11 each for the 2-disc sets, which is stupid cheap. IMO, they're worth buying/rebuying, at least for your favorites.

That is a good deal. Where?
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:50 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:I owned it at one point, but I wasn't particularly paying attention to the sound. The new remasters do sound great to me, though. Much better detail and instrument separation. I think I paid $10 or $11 each for the 2-disc sets, which is stupid cheap. IMO, they're worth buying/rebuying, at least for your favorites.

That is a good deal. Where?

eBay. Just look for the cheapest seller with free shipping. I just got III from The Sound Garden in Baltimore.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:53 pm

damn, I just got done buying all the LED ZEPPELIN on CD used at cheap prices (under $5) not in the mood re-buy 'em all again. might have to find somebody with copies and ask for a burn.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:57 pm

WrEtcH wrote:damn, I just got done buying all the LED ZEPPELIN on CD used at cheap prices (under $5) not in the mood re-buy 'em all again. might have to find somebody with copies and ask for a burn.

The older versions are by no means bad sounding. In fact, they sound pretty damn good. The new ones are just a little clearer and everything stands out a little better. If you heard the recent Beatles remasters, you know what I'm talking about. It's not the difference between 8MM and HD. More like the difference between 35MM and HD.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:10 pm

version sound wrote:More like the difference between 35MM and HD.

Not to pick nits or nothing, but 35mm film still holds considerably more detail than current HD standards. If/when we switch over to 4K resolution it will be much closer, but you won't be able to see the difference on standard home TV sizes. Unless your home TV is like 100 inches or so.

Now, please return to your previously scheduled Led Zeppelin discussion.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:25 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:More like the difference between 35MM and HD.

Not to pick nits or nothing, but 35mm film still holds considerably more detail than current HD standards. If/when we switch over to 4K resolution it will be much closer, but you won't be able to see the difference on standard home TV sizes. Unless your home TV is like 100 inches or so.

Now, please return to your previously scheduled Led Zeppelin discussion.

OK, more like regular TV vs HD, then? Shit's clearer, but it's not like you sit there with the previous masters thinking it sounds unclear. Or maybe Betamax vs. DVD? I don't know, you get my point.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse