Discharge

Discharge

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Best hardcore band of all time? Probably. If you don't own at least Why, Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing and Never Again (LP, not single), what's wrong with you? Seriously, I would like go know.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Discharge

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:31 pm

version sound wrote:Best hardcore band of all time? Probably.

It's kinda hard to argue against that.
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Legit not sure I've ever listened to Discharge. :oops:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby James » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:03 pm

gregpolard wrote:Legit not sure I've ever listened to Discharge. :oops:

Word? Get on that shit!

Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby MXV » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Maybe it was when I first heard the band in comparison to other hardcore bands of that era but I wouldn't even put them in my top 100. They just never did it for me.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Seriously, Greg, HNSNSN is basically a perfect record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:38 pm

version sound wrote:Seriously, Greg, HNSNSN is basically a perfect record.

Will do! I'm sure I'll dig...just for some reason they were never on my radar much.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:50 pm

MXV wrote:Maybe it was when I first heard the band in comparison to other hardcore bands of that era but I wouldn't even put them in my top 100. They just never did it for me.

I can't understand that at all. I've owned HNSNSN for 30 years (same copy, which says something considering how few hardcore records I DIDN'T sell over the years), and it still blows me away. The guitars are MASSIVE. There must be three or four stacked guitar tracks on each track. It sounds miles ahead of anything else from that era.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:07 pm

yeah, great band. i think i have all of the original singles, or close to it at this point. would love to see an og reunion, but it prolly would have happened all ready. i can't say much for their fans or most of the bands they inspired though. in the 90s, dis- bands became a bad living joke.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby James » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:08 pm

version sound wrote:
MXV wrote:Maybe it was when I first heard the band in comparison to other hardcore bands of that era but I wouldn't even put them in my top 100. They just never did it for me.

I can't understand that at all. I've owned HNSNSN for 30 years (same copy, which says something considering how few hardcore records I DIDN'T sell over the years), and it still blows me away. The guitars are MASSIVE. There must be three or four stacked guitar tracks on each track. It sounds miles ahead of anything else from that era.

You might think this is lame, but I discovered Discharge after hearing Anthrax's cover of Protest And Survive on "Attack Of The Killer B's". I've never told anyone that before. :lol:
James

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:09 pm

if you don't listen to discharge right now and put on fall out boy or paramore instead i would personally fly to philly and have you tarred and feathered.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:17 pm

yourenotevil wrote:

if you don't listen to discharge right now and put on fall out boy or paramore instead i would personally fly to philly and have you tarred and feathered.

I listen to FOB probably every day in some capacity. I blame my kids.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:46 pm

FYI: only the first 14 songs of the YouTube posted is HNSNSN. The rest is singles, EPs, etc...all of it is great, but its probably best to initially experience the LP without all the extras.

Some Dis bands are good, some aren't. None come close to the real thing. It's crazy how little attention they get these days. All said and done, they were probably the most influential hardcore band of all time, with influence that reached from Bad Brains to Metallica, to nearly every Japanese and Scandinavian hardcore band of the last 30 years.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Bill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:56 pm

I don't even think of Discharge as a hardcore band. They're just Discharge, alone amongst everything else.
Bill

Postby James » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:41 pm

yourenotevil wrote:in the 90s, dis- bands became a bad living joke.

James

Postby tango fistula » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:37 pm

tango fistula

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:50 pm

I can remember driving in my car and a friend popping a Discharge tape in. I thought....wow....that's some heavy heavy shit!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Gary wrote:
version sound wrote:Best hardcore band of all time? Probably.

It's kinda hard to argue against that.

Obviously, it only applies to when they were playing hardcore. GNW is actually pretty decent, except for the shitty lyrics. Even with the shitty lyrics, it could have been great if Cal used his punk voice instead of his metal voice. The 2 or 3 records after that one were pretty good. Not old school Discharge good, but good.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 pm

it was Ron Quintana over here that played a lot of DISCHARGE on Rampage Radio that caught the ears of METALLICA and a lot of metal heads that was the early phases of crossover even though DISCHARGE wasn't really a metal influenced punk act (if that made any sense,) but yeah that's how I got into DISCHARGE and most punk (along w/ the RAMONES & other punk acts.)

Loved "Hear Nothing" and "Never Again." Saw 'em during that infamous "Grave World" gig at the Farm w/ D.R.I. ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT and POSSESSED where a garbage can was thrown on stage while DISCHARGE was playing. when they reunited w/o Cal fared better.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one. They are OK, but are seriously the most overrated HC band of all time IMO aside from maybe SSD or YoT.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:51 pm

yourenotevil wrote: i can't say much for their fans or most of the bands they inspired though. in the 90s, dis- bands became a bad living joke.

I think that ultimately this is part of my problem with them, though I know it's not their fault. I mean I heard them a few years before all that dis-band mania, but had I heard them in '82 like VS, I might actually appreciate them more.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 pm

WrEtcH wrote: DISCHARGE wasn't really a metal influenced punk act (if that made any sense,)

They were if you consider Motorhead to be a metal band (I know Lemmy doesn't, but still...). I'm not much of a crossover fan, so that's another part of my issue with them...
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:14 pm

JGJR wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. They are OK, but are seriously the most overrated HC band of all time IMO aside from maybe SSD or YoT.

Who's the deaf one now? Soul Side is great and Discharge and SSD are overrated...uh huh, suuuuure.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Who's the deaf one now? Soul Side is great and Discharge and SSD are overrated...uh huh, suuuuure.

I stand by that. Sorry, but I'm like you these days. I love good hardcore/punk, but I'd rather hear indie/Brit-pop/'60s stuff/garage/post-punk (and other genres or subgenres) most of the time and Hot Bodi-Gram is much closer to that than Get It Away or HNSNSN. :lol:
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 pm

I don't know if I'd go all that far. But I certainly wouldn't say they're in my top 20 favorite hardcore bands. I think Poison Idea would take up about 8 slots.
SamDBL

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:57 pm

JGJR wrote:
WrEtcH wrote: DISCHARGE wasn't really a metal influenced punk act (if that made any sense,)

They were if you consider Motorhead to be a metal band (I know Lemmy doesn't, but still...). I'm not much of a crossover fan, so that's another part of my issue with them...

See, the fact that you even mention crossover tells me that you don't know WTF you're talking about (no offense) WRT Discharge. They were NEVER a crossover band. They made one record of ill-considered heavy metal, but never played crossover. They influenced metal more than it ever influenced them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby James » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:23 pm

WrEtcH wrote:it was Ron Quintana over here that played a lot of DISCHARGE on Rampage Radio that caught the ears of METALLICA and a lot of metal heads that was the early phases of crossover even though DISCHARGE wasn't really a metal influenced punk act (if that made any sense,) but yeah that's how I got into DISCHARGE and most punk (along w/ the RAMONES & other punk acts.)

Loved "Hear Nothing" and "Never Again." Saw 'em during that infamous "Grave World" gig at the Farm w/ D.R.I. ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT and POSSESSED where a garbage can was thrown on stage while DISCHARGE was playing. when they reunited w/o Cal fared better.

I heard they were supposed to play here on that tour, but the show was canceled due to poor advance ticket sales. I guess word spread fast about how awful they were.
James

Postby john stabb » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Bravo, MXV :!: I'm with you, brother. Why would anyone even listen to their records after seeing them live :?: That would be my question. For the 1st Hardcore matinee ever in '82: Scream & G.I. opened & blew their limey ASS back to the UK. One of the most boring punk bands I've ever seen. Mr. Porcupine head & his not so merry band just stood there the entire time upon 9:30 club's stage. I figured at least with all that screaming "WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!" (really creative on the lyrics, eh Wattie? "Maggie/You Cunt/Maggie/You Cunt/Maggie Maggie Maggie/You fucking Cunt") you would've thought they'd actually jump around a bit. Nope. I should've done more than blew my nose/wiped my butt on their Giant Banner that afternoon. Next :?: :?: :?: :!: :roll:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:02 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

See, the fact that you even mention crossover tells me that you don't know WTF you're talking about (no offense) WRT Discharge. They were NEVER a crossover band. They made one record of ill-considered heavy metal, but never played crossover. They influenced metal more than it ever influenced them.

if yer pertaining to me, I knew that. I always lumped DISCHARGE w/ G.B.H. & EXPLOITED. what they did was gain a metal audience in these parts and like you mentioned, influenced many metal bands and many crossover act.

if yer talking to JGJR, never mind my blabber :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Welly » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:05 am

version sound wrote:Best hardcore band of all time? Probably. If you don't own at least Why, Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing and Never Again (LP, not single), what's wrong with you? Seriously, I would like go know.

Most influential, I'd say yes, 'best' is a flawed concept.
Welly

Postby Janelle » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:27 am

version sound wrote:Best hardcore band of all time? Probably. If you don't own at least Why, Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing and Never Again (LP, not single), what's wrong with you? Seriously, I would like go know.

Good call! One of my favorite bands!

You probably won't condone it, VS, but (I don't think I mentioned it on here; if I did I'm sorry to repeat!), but I saw them at CB's of course after the fact, in like '03 or '04 (the night BEFORE Vibrators played) with Rat from the Varukers singing so it may be like, "that's not Discharge!!!!!!!!!!!!" Anyway, I did an interview with him actually for Discharge and of course I had to talk a little about the Varukers and I mentioned that the latter-day Varukers had a total Discharge vibe. I'm like it got progressively more Discharge ha. And he agreed. Okay, that's all...
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:32 am

WrEtcH wrote:if yer pertaining to me, I knew that. I always lumped DISCHARGE w/ G.B.H. & EXPLOITED. what they did was gain a metal audience in these parts and like you mentioned, influenced many metal bands and many crossover act.

I was talking to JGJR. You know exactly what was up on the punk/metal front.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby tango fistula » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:39 am

Never been a big fan of British punk circa 1981-1985 so Discharge
never really moved me. I like/liked Rudimentary Peni better.

Poison Idea to me took the Discharge template and made it a true monster.
tango fistula

Postby Janelle » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:41 am

tango fistula wrote:Never been a big fan of British punk circa 1981-1985 so Discharge
never really moved me. I like/liked Rudimentary Peni better.

Poison Idea to me took the Discharge template and made it a true monster.

Poison Idea = awesomeness!! :)
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:03 am

John, while you are entitled to your opinion about their live show, I don't know if you're confused about the details, or just plain wrong. Wattie was in the Exploited. To the best of my recollection, Discharge never mentioned "Maggie" in a single song. You are seriously going to criticize their lyrics circa 1982? At worst, they had a one track mind, as all their lyrics were (broadly speaking) about war. The lyrics on HNSNSN are almost poetic in their concision and impact. I'm not sure there was ever a more effective line in punk rock than "Q: And children? A: And children" in a song about the horrors of war. For the record, here are the ridiculous lyrics for "Why?":

Beside her man she kneels Holds him tight and begins to cry
Why why why but why
Her loved one's just another piece of meat On the battlefields
Why why why but why
Her cries break out into screams As she now becomes hysterical with grief
Why why why but why
Her loved one's just anotherpiece of meat On the battlefields
Why why why but why

Not as masterful or deep as the kind of teen drama most hardcore bands were writing about, I know.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:51 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

i think they definitely had a little metal influence though. it should be said that they made the best transition ever from a demo to a record, that thing is pretty weak.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:18 am

version sound wrote:John, while you are entitled to your opinion about their live show, I don't know if you're confused about the details, or just plain wrong. Wattie was in the Exploited. To the best of my recollection, Discharge never mentioned "Maggie" in a single song. You are seriously going to criticize their lyrics circa 1982? At worst, they had a one track mind, as all their lyrics were (broadly speaking) about war. The lyrics on HNSNSN are almost poetic in their concision and impact. I'm not sure there was ever a more effective line in punk rock than "Q: And children? A: And children" in a song about the horrors of war. For the record, here are the ridiculous lyrics for "Why?":
Beside her man she kneels Holds him tight and begins to cry
Why why why but why
Her loved one's just another piece of meat On the battlefields
Why why why but why
Her cries break out into screams As she now becomes hysterical with grief
Why why why but why
Her loved one's just anotherpiece of meat On the battlefields
Why why why but why

Not as masterful or deep as the kind of teen drama most hardcore bands were writing about, I know.

Okay, but you have to admit that Sid Vicious' bass playing on all of those Discharge records was fucking horrible.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:20 am

I'm not a huge fan of the early EPs, which is what most of the Dis bands seemed to base thier sound on. I don't think they really hit their stride until Decontrol. I don't know how influenced they were by metal early on. There really weren't many metal bands playing like that before HNSNSN. They weren't afraid of guitar leads or heaviness, which weren't typical hardcore traits at the time. Was anyone in metal or punk playing those fast atonal solos before Discharge, other than Ginn?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:00 am

version sound wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the early EPs, which is what most of the Dis bands seemed to base thier sound on. I don't think they really hit their stride until Decontrol. I don't know how influenced they were by metal early on. There really weren't many metal bands playing like that before HNSNSN. They weren't afraid of guitar leads or heaviness, which weren't typical hardcore traits at the time. Was anyone in metal or punk playing those fast atonal solos before Discharge, other than Ginn?

i don't think anyone else was, at least that i can recall. i like the early eps a lot, but i would lean towards why and the lp more.
yourenotevil

Postby Bill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Bill

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:47 pm

version sound wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:if yer pertaining to me, I knew that. I always lumped DISCHARGE w/ G.B.H. & EXPLOITED. what they did was gain a metal audience in these parts and like you mentioned, influenced many metal bands and many crossover act.

I was talking to JGJR. You know exactly what was up on the punk/metal front.

okay, we're good :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:10 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Please read what I wrote again. I never claimed that they were a crossover band, but merely that they ended up influencing a lot of bands that blended metal and punk in different ways (Anthrax doing "Protest and Survive" is a good example, as are the million and one crust punk bands that also seem to have a foot in metal). I rest my case.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:11 pm

tango fistula wrote:Poison Idea to me took the Discharge template and made it a true monster.

I couldn't agree with you more here. Discharge is like the punk version of Bruce Springsteen in that I like some of the bands they influenced (not just PI, but also Negative Approach and others) way more than the band/artist themselves. For instance, I like Graham Parker and Elvis Costello much more than Springsteen, but he also spawned lame imitators, too (just like Discharge did).
JGJR

Postby Michele » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Welly wrote:

Most influential, I'd say yes, 'best' is a flawed concept.

quite agree with this!
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:18 pm

JGJR wrote:
tango fistula wrote:Poison Idea to me took the Discharge template and made it a true monster.

I couldn't agree with you more here. Discharge is like the punk version of Bruce Springsteen in that I like some of the bands they influenced (not just PI, but also Negative Approach and others) way more than the band/artist themselves. For instance, I like Graham Parker and Elvis Costello much more than Springsteen, but he also spawned lame imitators, too (just like Discharge did).

I'm guessing that this is just another case of you speaking before you really listen. "They are so overrated" often seems to equate with "I've never really listened to them much". Do you own HNSNSN? Have you ever?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SamDBL » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:31 pm

I want my due credit for mentioning poison idea in this thread first.
SamDBL

Postby sonofa » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Love Discharge - my friend bought Grave New World back in 1986 because they were on Profile/Rock Hotel - the same as the Cromags. Needless to say that was my first experience with them and the record in my opinion still stands - killer riffs. I eventually heard their earlier material and was like "is that the same band?" But it all rocks.
sonofa

Postby sonofa » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Given the Clay records Discharge vs. GBH - I will always go with GBH. My first son's initials are GBH.
sonofa

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:02 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I'm guessing that this is just another case of you speaking before you really listen. "They are so overrated" often seems to equate with "I've never really listened to them much". Do you own HNSNSN? Have you ever?

I have never owned a physical copy of HNSNSN or any Discharge record. I have heard it, however, though admittedly in more recent years (I knew a few songs before that just via tape trading and stuff). Had I heard it in '82 like you did or when I first got into punk, I might feel differently. I just prefer other bands. That is all.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:52 pm

VS, of course I know Wattie was The Exploited frontman & wrote "Maggie", which I was trying to make the point that Discharge lyrics I know of, SUCK :!: And people like Guy & others went cuckoo over Discharge recordings + that gig. But not my thing & cannot understand the fascination in the band.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Next

Return to daghouse