..... are the band that introduced me to metal

..... are the band that introduced me to metal

Postby clash77 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Clear choice is Black Sabbath for me..How about the rest of you Dags?
clash77

Re: ..... are the band that introduced me to metal

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Depends what consider metal. KISS? Van Halen? Zeppelin? AC/DC?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby clash77 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:37 pm

version sound wrote:Depends what consider metal. KISS? Van Halen? Zeppelin? AC/DC?
doesn't matter vs..Its what you consider metal..Speak your mind.I think there is a wide age range here, so that makes the conversation more interesting.
clash77

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:50 pm

I loved all that stuff in the late 70s. I thought of it as hard rock. I had the Heavy Metal soundtrack, which had some early Dio Sabbath on it. I was a closet fan of the first two solo Ozzy records when it was still shameful to be a punk who listened to ANY metal. The first proper metal records I bought were:

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Motorhead - No Remorse
Iron Maiden - Killers
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SamDBL » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:04 pm

The first band that I really dug that I'd consider actual metal? Probably Iron Maiden the first Ozzy album. Before that I liked a lot of hard rock. Kiss, Rush, Led Zepplin, Van Halen.
SamDBL

Postby clash77 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 pm

version sound wrote:I loved all that stuff in the late 70s. I thought of it as hard rock. I had the Heavy Metal soundtrack, which had some early Dio Sabbath on it. I was a closet fan of the first two solo Ozzy records when it was still shameful to be a punk who listened to ANY metal. The first proper metal records I bought were:

Motorhead - No Remorse
Iron Maiden - Killers

hey vs..nice picks..I know I posted this subject a while back about Maiden..It's clear to me that 'arry' had a major "punk" influence.It shows on the first two records( and I love D'ianno) do you agree????
clash77

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Who can say? If they were, I don't know if they would admit it. I think most of those NWOBHM bands considered punks the enemy.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:06 pm

the first band i really heard that was metal was pantera, but that was my era. and metallica too, but it was the black album. and dirt by alice in chains, i would consider that a metal album.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:30 am

clash77 wrote:
version sound wrote:I loved all that stuff in the late 70s. I thought of it as hard rock. I had the Heavy Metal soundtrack, which had some early Dio Sabbath on it. I was a closet fan of the first two solo Ozzy records when it was still shameful to be a punk who listened to ANY metal. The first proper metal records I bought were:

Motorhead - No Remorse
Iron Maiden - Killers

hey vs..nice picks..I know I posted this subject a while back about Maiden..It's clear to me that 'arry' had a major "punk" influence.It shows on the first two records( and I love D'ianno) do you agree????

There's actually quita a few interviews with Steve Harris were he makes it very clear how much he dislikes punk,and always did. There's at least one on youtube. I'll try to find it but doubt I'll be able to.

Anyway,I was into Adam & the Ants and then started to think I was into metal,but of course had no idea what it sounded like. I just liked the badges and patches etc I saw around,then a lad who worked with my dad lent me Black Sabbath's greatest hist,Deep Purple Made in Japan,and that AC/DC box with High Voltage/Dirty Deeds and Powerage,and that was me hooked.
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:56 am

Metallica - The Black Album

I got it on cassette when I was 10 or 11. After that I dug deeper into their back catalog, then moved to Megadeth, Slayer, etc.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:18 am

Gary wrote:Anyway,I was into Adam & the Ants and then started to think I was into metal,but of course had no idea what it sounded like.

I went from being obsessed with KISS to being obsessed with The Ants. Musically it was a bit of a stretch, but both were into make-up and costumes.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:29 am

version sound wrote:
Gary wrote:Anyway,I was into Adam & the Ants and then started to think I was into metal,but of course had no idea what it sounded like.

I went from being obsessed with KISS to being obsessed with The Ants. Musically it was a bit of a stretch, but both were into make-up and costumes.

KISS came pretty quickly for me once I got into metal,unfortunately they'd just shed the make up when I heard them first,then I went backwards with them and it just got better.

First Adam & the Ants lp is still one of my all time favourites.
Gary

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:37 am

I still love all three Ants LPs, though it's largely based on nostalgia. Friend of Foe is pretty decent too, but doesn't carry the same weight of nostalgia, since I pretty much abandoned Adam shortly after "Goody Two Shoes" came out, so I didn't hear that LP until years later.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:13 am

I think the 2nd and 3rd have good songs,but really pale in comparison to the first and the demos.
Gary

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:00 am

It's a whole different ball of wax, no doubt. I think they were just hitting their stride when Malcolm stole the band away. I think Marco was a great songwriter, though, and I think I just realized that he's probably the reason I love spaghetti western guitar twang.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby tad ghostal » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:46 am

The first hard rock/metal band that I was really aware of was Ratt. Out of the Cellar came out when I was 7 and my best friend's older brother had the cassette which we used to listen to in his basement all the time. The first straight-up metal band that I heard was Anthrax. Same friend's brother got the I'm The Man and Among The Living tapes and started playing us all the songs with swear words, which, of course, peaked our interests.
tad ghostal

Postby wALLton » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:29 am

Motley Crue's Shout At The Devil, but then I was taken to a new level when a friend introduced me to Slayer's Show No Mercy. Weird to just find out they were actually released in the same year, as it was a couple of years between their introduction to me. I remember liking 80's pop/new wave as a kid, but then was told to check out some Toronto radio show late at night by a friend of mine. Introduced me to the likes of Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Ratt, Twisted Sister and the like which were in some metal chart or other, at which point I went looking for albums and immediately transferred their band names (with correct artistic fonts) to my school pencil case, ha-ha. I probably still have a mixed tape recorded from the radio with the beginnings and ends of the tracks edited out. ;)
wALLton

Postby scannest » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 am

KISS were the first band the really "belonged" to me back when I was 8 or so. Then there were my friends' older brothers who were obsessed with Queen and Aerosmith (I don't remember Zeppelin coming up as much for whatever reason). In the 8th grade me and a friend decided I would by Killers and he would buy Blizzard of Ozz and we'd trade off. But neither one really stuck with me. I preferred my Wings and Neil Young records.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby danny » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:17 am

In 1972, when i was 12, my first serious girlfriend (and the girl who ultimately prized away my virginity and introduced me to drink and drugs) bought me a copy of led zeppelin II. it was a transcendent experience...in more ways than one. prior to that, i had mostly been listening to soul music (i grew up in SE DC), mixed with british invasion stuff. i remember being simultaneously blown away - and a little bit intimidated by the heaviness of it and the overt sexuality of the lyrics. but i dug it immediately. straight away, i went out and bought Led Zeppelin IV. And three years later I saw them in concert (for the physical graffiti tour). it was the first and only time i saw them live. they will always be my favorite of the genre.
danny

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:26 am

danny wrote:In 1972, when i was 12, my first serious girlfriend (and the girl who ultimately prized away my virginity and introduced me to drink and drugs) bought me a copy of led zeppelin II. it was a transcendent experience...in more ways than one. prior to that, i had mostly been listening to soul music (i grew up in SE DC)...

Whoa. Like Anacostia or Capitol Hill? Either way, that must have been...interesting...in the 60s/70s...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:46 am

a lot would argue that they aren't metal, but for me it was AC/DC that got me into metal.
if you want to go a little bit further, it was metal also that was my precursor to punk.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby danny » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:20 am

version sound wrote:
danny wrote:In 1972, when i was 12, my first serious girlfriend (and the girl who ultimately prized away my virginity and introduced me to drink and drugs) bought me a copy of led zeppelin II. it was a transcendent experience...in more ways than one. prior to that, i had mostly been listening to soul music (i grew up in SE DC)...

Whoa. Like Anacostia or Capitol Hill? Either way, that must have been...interesting...in the 60s/70s...

it's on the fringe of capitol hill. not far from nats stadium. it wasn't so glamorous or expensive in the 60s. but it's well out of my price range now! in many ways, it was right out of a spike lee movie: people sitting on porches listening to the soul stations, or playing records for each other. back then, it was 100% soul music all the time (WOL and WOOK radio stations). even so, it was hard to escape the ubiquitous beatles and the various sound-a-likes that got played in cars and shops everywhere.
danny

Postby jason powell » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Im going to say, short answer version; Metallica.

Long version, my parents raised me on Led Zep, and I remember I really liked the Black Sabbath record my dad had, but I was basically clueless about genres forever. All I listened to for the longest time was the Beatles along with some classic rock, such as Led Zep and Jimi and Jethro Tull, and oldies (ala extra 104 on the fm) like Beach Boys, Shangri-La's, Eddie Cochran and Buddy Holly. When I was 10 I also liked Michael Jackson and got into Motown. A girl I liked was into Duran Duran and I didnt like it.

And when I was 11, a friend told me punk was Judas Priest, and I wasnt into that either. But I liked this joke band called the Dead Kennedy's and this other weird band called the Cramps. At 12, I realized that Priest was metal, didnt like them, but that "underground" music was awesome. I got into Suicidal Tendencies and explored stuff like Merciful Fate and Kreator, and meanwhile I was conscious that the popular stuff with a lot of kids was stuff like AC/DC and Aerosmith and Def Leppard. I wasnt really into any of it (besides ST, which was "skate rock" in my mind). What always turned me off was high pitched vocals. Led Zep could really sing, and I loved "Dream On" by Aerosmith, but, to me those people had really nice voices and sang kind of naturally. I never was into the screech rock style of singing, I preferred shouting or yelling or just screaming, but like unaffected and raw. I could get into Van Halen too, I liked them.

When I was 14 a friend recorded REM's "Green" record for me onto a tape and put "Ride the Lightening" on the other side. I listened to those songs over and over. I remember thinking to myself "if all metal sounded like this, I would be way into it." They were super melodic and serious sounding, and the vocals sounded like them just being themselves, no pretensions, and I had seen photos of them in Thrasher and they were just wearing jeans and tshirts, no spandex and stuff, so, they were the only full on metal band (that couldn't be confused with classic rock) that I was into for quite a while.
jason powell

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Guns 'n Roses - Appetite for Destruction

It wasn't the first metal/hard rock album I owned (that was probably Def Leppard's Hysteria or G'n'R's Lies), but it's the one I played every day in 8th grade. It ultimately led me to punk as it was heavier/harder/rawer/darker/more real than most of the other stuff like it at the time (I mean like Winger, Warrant, et al.).

Anyway, at some point after that when I was 14, I got curious about older hard rock/metal bands and some of my dad's co-workers let me borrow their old vinyl. I got into Led Zeppelin (they became my favorite band when I was 14; I was obsessed with them), Ozzy-era Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy and lots of other stuff like that. That eventually led to other classic rock, but among those Lps were The Specials' 1st album and The Clash's Combat Rock. Those were two of the first "punk" records I ever heard, even before I heard Never Mind the Bollocks or Bad Religion's No Control when I was 15.

I think that's also one of the reasons why I still have such a love for and soft spot for vinyl as that's how I first heard most of the above stuff.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:48 pm

danny wrote:
version sound wrote:

it's on the fringe of capitol hill. not far from nats stadium. it wasn't so glamorous or expensive in the 60s. but it's well out of my price range now! in many ways, it was right out of a spike lee movie: people sitting on porches listening to the soul stations, or playing records for each other. back then, it was 100% soul music all the time (WOL and WOOK radio stations). even so, it was hard to escape the ubiquitous beatles and the various sound-a-likes that got played in cars and shops everywhere.

Danny's parents are very cool people. Mr. Ingram was a bigwig in CORE and Mrs. Ingram was a mover and shaker in SNCC. They've got fascinating stories about participating in civil rights protests. Before moving to DC, they lived in Greenwich Village and hung out with the Beats. Mrs. Ingram is a Holocaust survivor who recently wrote a very successful memoir about the experience.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby john stabb » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Danny's parents do sound like really interesting folks. And the SE background ... very interesting.

Sure I heard all the commercial Rock like Zep, Aerosmith, Nugent, AC/DC, Van Halen & all but to me Metal was introduced through my friend/original G.I. drummer, Marc Alberstadt in '82. As well as digging power-pop, and Punk, Marc loved stuff like early Motley Crue , Judas Priest, The Rods, Pentagram, Accept, and a few others. Tom Lyle turned me on to the really heavy shit: Sabbath-Masters of Reality & others. 8-)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby pedro » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:44 am

In 1966, I went down to Greenwich Village, New York City to a rock club called Electric Banana. Don't look for it; it's not there anymore. But that night, I heard a band that for me redefined the word "rock and roll". I remember being knocked out by their... their exuberance, their raw power - and their punctuality. That band was Britain's now-legendary Spinal Tap.
Hello.
pedro

Postby crus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:19 am

Motley Crue and Twisted Sister lead me to Metallica and even Candlemass eventually as I was looking for heavier when my friends were just looking for catchy tunes....I don't think I discovered Sabbath until much later...and even then Heaven and Hell was the starter point.
crus

Postby Michele » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:13 pm

I went through led zeppelin, deep purple, blue cheer, black sabbath, steppenwolf, blue oyster cult, etc but they weren't metal in my mind
then to me it was Maiden, Judas Priest, early NWOBHM, Accept... and this is when I start calling myself a metal guy. I was around 15/16 years old
just a year later I met thrash and things were never the same, from that to hardcore (thanks also the tshirts sported by thrash bands) it was quite a short step....
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:10 pm

version sound wrote:Who can say? If they were, I don't know if they would admit it. I think most of those NWOBHM bands considered punks the enemy.

i think the things NWOBHM had in common with punk bands was that they were often not as technically proficient as other metal bands of the era(esp the drummers), the 7 inch was their main form of output, they both had to go for cheaper/rougher recordings, and they both had to use an underground scene to gain a reputation as a good band. obv NWO is a huge slew of bands,but they seem to take their cues from priest and sabbath way more than any punk band. and the bands that broke out of that scene like maiden, saxon, def leppard, etc soon lost any rough edge they had on their earlier recordings as they got to use better studios and producers. i know harris hates punk, but some parts of "iron maiden" could be taken for a punk song, and maybe one or two others.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Return to daghouse