Riot Fest lineup

Re: Riot Fest lineup

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 am

Chris Shary wrote:All feelings for the new wave of this aside, I had heard that right before "New Day Rising" Husker Du toured, playing the entire album all the way through, then doing older stuff. That my friends is genius!

I saw them right after Flip Your Wig came out and they mostly played stuff from New Day Rising. In fact, they may have played every song off NDR, though not in order.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
Chris Shary wrote:All feelings for the new wave of this aside, I had heard that right before "New Day Rising" Husker Du toured, playing the entire album all the way through, then doing older stuff. That my friends is genius!

I saw them right after Flip Your Wig came out and they mostly played stuff from New Day Rising. In fact, they may have played every song off NDR, though not in order.

Flip!
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby yourenotevil » Fri May 16, 2014 7:48 am

scannest wrote:I saw the Posies (who I LOVE) do the Frosting on the Beater in its entirety thing and it made it painfully clear that the great songs have remained in their set since the record was released and the mediocre ones have fallen by the wayside for a reason. Let's be honest - the Descendents do most of the great songs from ...College at every show they've played since the beginning of time. I can live without hearing "Statue of Liberty" and "M 16" live, thank you very much.

i think the descendents know that is their best and most popular album and is also what the fans want to hear. i only saw them once a few years ago, but they seemed to play a pretty varied set for the most part.

i guess this kind of things go like reunions-each one is going to be judged on a case by case basis. i saw helmet do all of meantime 2 years ago straight through and it was really boring. they did the whole thing and added like 4 extra songs and played right after saint vitus(who totally slayed and blew them off the stage) and most of the crowd left during helmet.

iron maiden did the retro set list tour for several of the old albums, but they had a whole stage show to go along with it, so it was a little more unique in that aspect. i saw the seventh son tour and it was cool because they played songs they hadn't done in years, but at the same time they only did like 5 songs out of 8 from the album and mixed it in with the rest of the setlist. IMO, this is the way it should be done. any band that has 4 or more albums should have the confidence in their back catalog to play something from all of their eras(unless there is one album they all truly hate to play) and not resort to gimmicks. i love black sabbath, but if they had done all of paranoid or something for those' '99 reunions shows i would have been so bored.

if a band only plays new album stuff or even unreleased songs like the swans, i can respect that, but at the same time it sort of sucks because obviously fans want to hear some of the old stuff as well.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Fri May 16, 2014 7:49 am

First time I saw Husker Du they played Warehouse... straight through and ended with 6 or 7 'hits'. The crowd was not digging it, but once Aquaman and I realized what they were up to we had a blast. I think he yelled out "Side 3!" in the silence following "She Floated Away" and I thought that was the funniest thing ever.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Chris Shary » Fri May 16, 2014 8:03 am

Well I understand the audience not digging Warehouse all the way through...not quite my favorite. Saw Jawbreaker in the early 90's before 24 Hour Revenge Therapy had come out and they played all new songs except for like 3 older ones. It was brilliant because as a fan, I wanted to hear new stuff. I could always go home and listen to the records but I had no idea what they were currently doing. It was a bold move that could only exist in a pre-internet type world. Very happy to have experienced something like that, with such a good band.
Chris Shary

Postby pedro » Fri May 16, 2014 8:11 am

Husker Du was always playing an album ahead of themselves. They were always playing tons of new, unrecorded stuff until the last two tours. The second to last was the Warehouse snoozefest and then they wrapped it up with a "greatest hits" tour. I remember hearing Bob talk about the last live album and saying that it really wasn't representative of a typical Husker Du show because they were just playing the "hits".
Hello.
pedro

Postby MXV » Fri May 16, 2014 8:12 am

Chris Shary wrote:The whole album deal is the 2010 version of "unplugged".

Except better!
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby aquaman » Fri May 16, 2014 8:16 am

I hope Descendents do this at the Tempe show too as I won't be making my way to ChiTown (more than likely). Unlike Sal I would LOVE to hear Statue of Liberty live (this is probably the Descendents song we have polar opposite views on) and while I don't love the album in order dealio if that's my only chance to hear songs I've never seen a band play then so be it. As far as I can tell, I've never seen Descendents do Tonyage or Jean is Dead, and thinking that may also be the case with Statue and Marriage, but my memory is not so great on the Ray/Doug shows that I went to.
aquaman

Postby scannest » Fri May 16, 2014 8:18 am

pedro wrote:...The second to last was the Warehouse snoozefest and then they wrapped it up with a "greatest hits" tour. I remember hearing Bob talk about the last live album and saying that it really wasn't representative of a typical Husker Du show because they were just playing the "hits".

A related anecdote - my first show (as described above) was a relatively mellow affair and Aquaman and I were right up against the stage, dead center, the whole evening. When they came back in the fall (this was the "greatest hits" tour you're talking about) I expected the same and planted myself in the same spot. They opened with "New Day Rising" and the place went insane. My glasses went flying and when I tried to bend down and look for them I was covered by bodies. I spent the rest of the show on the sidelines wondering how I was gonna drive home completely blind.
scannest

Postby pedro » Fri May 16, 2014 8:26 am

I remember being at a CBs matinee, standing on that bench against the wall to the right of the stage, when a fist came out of the crowd and took my glasses right of my face. I could see them flying straight up into the air and into the crowd. I dove in and started shoving the slam dancers out of the way and I couldn't believe that I found them relatively unscathed. I was driving to Boston after the show, so I had no choice.

But I think target ended up driving most of the way.
Hello.
pedro

Postby scannest » Fri May 16, 2014 8:44 am

pedro wrote:I remember being at a CBs matinee, standing on that bench against the wall to the right of the stage, when a fist came out of the crowd and took my glasses right of my face. I could see them flying straight up into the air and into the crowd. I dove in and started shoving the slam dancers out of the way and I couldn't believe that I found them relatively unscathed. I was driving to Boston after the show, so I had no choice.

Luckily I was with a friend who drove home. I just had to pick my car up at his place the next day.
Also lost my glasses at a Jane's Addiction show. I wasn't anywhere near the stage. Some jerk just decided throw a fist in the air during "Ocean Size" and broke my glasses in two.
scannest

Postby Welly » Fri May 16, 2014 8:48 am

It's funny, these things all seem to have names like 'Riot' and 'Rebellion' when it couldn't be further from the truth.
Welly

Postby Chris Shary » Fri May 16, 2014 8:59 am

Lost my glasses during a Meat Puppets show during "Bucket Head", the song I was most looking forward to hearing. Being legally blind without glasses while the Meat Puppets provide a soundtrack must be what it's like doing drugs.
Chris Shary

Postby pedro » Fri May 16, 2014 9:04 am

Welly wrote:It's funny, these things all seem to have names like 'Riot' and 'Rebellion' when it couldn't be further from the truth.

When I think of the word "riot", Weezer is the next thing that pops to mind.

THIS POST BROUGHT TO YOU BY RED BULL AND DOS EQUIS. Enjoy one today!
Hello.
pedro

Postby gregpolard » Fri May 16, 2014 9:18 am

Chris Shary wrote:Lost my glasses during a Meat Puppets show during "Bucket Head", the song I was most looking forward to hearing. Being legally blind without glasses while the Meat Puppets provide a soundtrack must be what it's like doing drugs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri May 16, 2014 10:43 am

When I saw them on the Warehouse tour, they played the whole record in order from beginning to end, then did older songs during the encore. It was kind of weird.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Fri May 16, 2014 11:59 am

version sound wrote:

When I saw them on the Warehouse tour, they played the whole record in order from beginning to end, then did older songs during the encore. It was kind of weird.

This is when I saw 'em courtesy of thirdav.com

23 Sep 1985

Flip Your Wig
Every Everything
Makes No Sense At All
The Girl Who Lives On Heaven Hill
I Apologize
If I Told You
Folklore
Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely
I Don't Know For Sure
Terms Of Psychic Warfare
Powerline
Books About UFOs
Hardly Getting Over It
Sorry Somehow
Broken Home, Broken Heart
Diane
Celebrated Summer
Pink Turns To Blue
Eight Miles High
All Work And No Play
Welly

Postby Chris Shary » Fri May 16, 2014 12:03 pm

That is one helluva set list! Seeing a band in their prime doing stuff like that....wow.
Chris Shary

Postby Welly » Fri May 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Chris Shary wrote:That is one helluva set list! Seeing a band in their prime doing stuff like that....wow.

I know. The only downside being I was only 16 so I don't remember much detail about it, and my photos are kinda crappy in that 80's printed-on-matt-paper kinda way.
Welly

Postby Chris Shary » Fri May 16, 2014 12:48 pm

Hey at least you had good sense to be taking pictures at shows in 85! While I was living close to Ipswich, I never took photos at shows. I wised up as soon as I moved to the states in 88.
Chris Shary

Postby 77clash » Fri May 16, 2014 1:44 pm

scannest wrote:
pedro wrote:I remember being at a CBs matinee, standing on that bench against the wall to the right of the stage, when a fist came out of the crowd and took my glasses right of my face. I could see them flying straight up into the air and into the crowd. I dove in and started shoving the slam dancers out of the way and I couldn't believe that I found them relatively unscathed. I was driving to Boston after the show, so I had no choice.

Luckily I was with a friend who drove home. I just had to pick my car up at his place the next day.
Also lost my glasses at a Jane's Addiction show. I wasn't anywhere near the stage. Some jerk just decided throw a fist in the air during "Ocean Size" and broke my glasses in two.

My glasses got destroyed at a Rise Against show at The Metro when they played only songs from their Fat Wreck Chords releases. I had a hotel room that nite in Chicago but had to drive home the next day. I drove right to Lenscrafters to get my eye exam and a new pair of glasses. My wife told me to grow up. I told her I had not been to the eye doctor in 4 years and needed new glasses anyway.
77clash

Postby Chris Shary » Fri May 16, 2014 2:02 pm

I actually carry a backup pair of glasses in my glove compartment of my car, because I'm totally afraid of being without sight at a show. Once was all I needed to freak me out!
Chris Shary

Postby 77clash » Fri May 16, 2014 2:36 pm

Chris Shary wrote:I actually carry a backup pair of glasses in my glove compartment of my car, because I'm totally afraid of being without sight at a show. Once was all I needed to freak me out!

I do that now too.
77clash

Postby JGJR » Fri May 16, 2014 8:26 pm

scannest wrote:
Chris Shary wrote:Van was my first suggestion, followed by the All-O-Gistics.

Bill would rather do those 2 than 'Pep Talk'?! Sheesh.

My thoughts exactly though I thought it was great when Milo brought out his kids to do the All-O-Gistics at Riot Fest here a few years ago.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri May 16, 2014 8:29 pm

WrEtcH wrote:my friend has been lobbying that ALL play "Alive," which has gotten the attention of Stephen & Karl on FB, but not Bill.

stay tuned for that one, but yeah, I like the idea of "Pep Talk," but yeah Riot Fest is going to get the honor of "Jean Is Dead" which hasn't been played in a LONG TIME.

I normally don't like full album shows (or have gotten over them, really), but I would LOVE to hear that one and if it's them playing Milo Goes to College in its entirety that will make it happen, so be it. I just wish I was seeing it, alas.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 pm

scannest wrote:I saw the Posies (who I LOVE) do the Frosting on the Beater in its entirety thing and it made it painfully clear that the great songs have remained in their set since the record was released and the mediocre ones have fallen by the wayside for a reason. Let's be honest - the Descendents do most of the great songs from ...College at every show they've played since the beginning of time. I can live without hearing "Statue of Liberty" and "M 16" live, thank you very much.

Milo is the perfect one for me to do because it's so short and even the "filler" songs are better than the "filler" songs on the later albums IMO. I like the songs you mention, though no way I'd argue they're as good as say "Hope" or something. They're not as embarrassing as something like "No FB" or "Enjoy!" or something like that.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri May 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Well I understand the audience not digging Warehouse all the way through...not quite my favorite. Saw Jawbreaker in the early 90's before 24 Hour Revenge Therapy had come out and they played all new songs except for like 3 older ones. It was brilliant because as a fan, I wanted to hear new stuff. I could always go home and listen to the records but I had no idea what they were currently doing. It was a bold move that could only exist in a pre-internet type world. Very happy to have experienced something like that, with such a good band.

I think Warehouse is very underrated, especially Bob Mould's songs. I didn't see Jawbreaker until Dear You came out, but often wish I'd seen them around 24 Hour Revenge Therapy as I had a chance to and didn't do it.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Lost my glasses during a Meat Puppets show during "Bucket Head", the song I was most looking forward to hearing. Being legally blind without glasses while the Meat Puppets provide a soundtrack must be what it's like doing drugs.

I love all of these stories. I almost lost my glasses at an Agent Orange show. They came flying off as I near the front and someone knocked into me or something, but luckily they were totally unscathed. I did actually lose them a few years ago, but not at a show. I made the mistake of going into the Atlantic Ocean with my glasses on (we were on Cape Cod) and the water was kinda choppy that day and long story short, the glasses were gone but luckily I was able to get a replacement pair the next day at a Lens Crafters about 10 miles from where we stayed and the place I got an exam at a year before that just faxed over my prescription to them.
JGJR

Postby 77clash » Sat May 17, 2014 11:46 am

As usual, I am working on putting my own compilation CD together with songs from the bands playing the Chicago festival. Any suggestions for songs I should include?
77clash

Postby gregpolard » Sat May 17, 2014 7:32 pm

I’ve been fortunate not to have my glasses ruined at a show (knock on wood) but for a large portion of my show going career when I was seeing more “rowdy” bands I wore contact lenses anyway. Last year I saw Judge and 7 Seconds at This Is Hardcore Fest but I stood in the back so I was fine with glasses.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby 77clash » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:47 pm

what are some of your favorite songs by some of the bands playing the festival next weekend in Chicago?
77clash

Postby john stabb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:47 pm

I was hanging at Matt (owner of SMASH RECORDS/singer of Crispus Attucks/Blockhead) b-b-q with some nice musician folks (Matt Moffatt x-Worlds Collide/Whips), David Byrd (x-Striking Distance/Set to Explode) & another Chris Moore (Coke Bust) told me how his fiance Sheena Pop (Lemuria) was super excited to play w/ Replacements @ Riot Fest in Canada. That seems like almost the best thing anyone could ask for if you can afford it. This from someone who saw probably the shittiest Replacements tour gig during "Don't tell a Soul". Tommy & Paul together doing really old shit sounds like a dream come true. At least mine.

In the conversation of bands just playing full albums straight through & that's really it: G.I. (like Huskers) were always an album ahead of our audience trying to play a bunch of them (in any ragged form like a practice in front of people) but we always mixed up the set with songs from every album. We were never concerned about pleasing folks but knew it just wasn't cool to just play new album (+ a few *hits*). We sure weren't taking requests. I remember playing to 20 people in Buffalo-'88 when some kid yelled out for "Anarchy is Dead". We hadn't remotely touched that oldie but Dischord goodie since our '86 UK tour because we had to learn everything from Legless Bull-Fun Just ... when they hadn't even received our S/T. And we wanted to play our latest "YOU". So Pete goes "You know it, you play it!". Me, Tom & J. went over the chords & we're ready. The kid got on his kit and played some mess of a beat. We all went "Man, get outta here. You don't know it". Kid was pretty bold and it was amusing that night.

Would anyone here have any problems if G.I. (Lyle/ Hill/ another talented bassist friend/me) doing a bunch of JOYRIDE & other mid-tempo tunes at a gig in Seattle (possibly w/ Poison Idea & The F@rtz) sometime next yr :?: We're looking into it.

But after enjoying all the crazy glasses flying incident stories - I can honestly say I've never had a pair of mine smashed or knocked off but my x-wife sure did :!: I had no clue she'd have the balls (insanity ;) to go in the front of the stage during the Government Re-Issue (Lyle/William/Baker/me) gig years ago. And she went out there in her glasses :!: End of the night, I helped her find on that dirty floor what looked like some kind of metal, plastic & glass sculpture. The only time I lost a pair was coming back to the dressing room @ Hung Jury Pub, DC-'86 after G.I. show to discover some fan actually stole my great tinted Lennon-like prescription glasses. Man, that sucked to have to pay for another pair when the group wasn't making the kind of $ people thought we were.
Last edited by john stabb on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby MXV » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:21 am

Stabb I would have a problem with it because you should be doing it here in Chicago instead so I can see it!
MXV

Postby James » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:26 am

Am I the only one going to this thing?
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby john stabb » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:23 pm

MXV, We'd love to bring it to Chicago if someone's wants to book it. These are the offers we've received so far. 8-)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:24 am

How about some GI in Philadelphia, eh?
gregpolard

Postby James » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:27 am

GI in Seattle? Make it so!
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby lewdd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Descendents should have just finished Milo Goes to College. I wish I was there.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:20 pm

lewdd wrote:Descendents should have just finished Milo Goes to College. I wish I was there.

They did finish it. In 1982. You can probably find it on Amazon cheap.....
gregpolard

Postby MXV » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:59 am

Descendents playing Milo Goes to College was amazing. They even had Tony there playing bass for that part of their set! After that he tagged Karl in and the band did another half hour of other songs. It was probably the best Descendents show I've ever seen and I've never seen one that was less than great.

Samhain sucked. IT was cool to see them as 3/4 authentic but Danzig just doesn't have it anymore. He was winded and he sounded like shit. It also sounded like his balls were being pinched in a vice because suddenly his voice is a few octaves higher.

Naked Raygun playing throb throb (plus other hits after) ruled even though the new bass player messed up a few times.

Janes doing Nothing Shocking was great, they were pretty spot-on. That was the first time I saw them.

I enjoyed Cheap Trick but was bummed they did Heaven Tonight instead of just a regular set as I had never seen them before and I'm bummed I didn't get to witness them play "Dream Police".

I didn't get to see Slayer do Reign in Blood but I've seen them a few times and have seen them play most of those songs anyway.
The Cure played a flawless set. It was amazing how good they sounded and performed.
MXV

Previous

Return to daghouse