Upon Further Review

Upon Further Review

Postby pedro » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:22 pm

This is a thread where we discuss items we were positive were true when we were younger but now have figured out that we weren't quite right.

When I was a youngster in the mid 1970s, I thought that "Watergate" referred to the time President Nixon opened the gate and all the water from the Potomac River came rushing into downtown Washington, D.C. It only made more sense to me when I found out there were "Plumbers" hired to fix the leaks.

My misconceptions of Watergate continued after catching a few minutes of All the Presidents Men on TV. I walked in one night when when my parents were watching the movie and I caught the scene with Meredith Baxter-Birney's Debbie Sloan talking to Redford's Woodward and Hoffman's Bernstein. I later found out that the two reporters spoke a secret source in order to find out who was responsible for "Watergate". I was convinced that Meredith Baxter-Birney was "Deep Throat". I believed that for a couple of years.

Woodward and Bernstein had nothing on me.

Also, when I was a child I thought that Starblazers was a documentary. It had all actually happened. Derek Wildstar was the greatest hero in the history of earth and the wave motion gun kicked total ass.
Hello.
pedro

Re: Upon Further Review

Postby SamDBL » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:58 pm

pedro wrote:Also, when I was a child I thought that Starblazers was a documentary. It had all actually happened. Derek Wildstar was the greatest hero in the history of earth and the wave motion gun kicked total ass.

LOL. Starblazers was amazing. The only thing I was a bit confused of (at the time) was that the spaceship looked like an aircraft carrier.
SamDBL

Postby James » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Man, I haven't thought about Star Blazers in decades!
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:59 am

This is embarrassing but...oh well:

In the summer of '99 I was freshly 18. Some channel on cable ran a "news story" about these kids who filmed a documentary on the legend of a witch that lived in the woods of MD and never returned and their footage had been found and was now going to be available for viewing.

So yeah...because of this mock news story to promote the film, I thought the Blair Witch Project was real.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:44 am

I used to think that Soul Side only got better after Less Deep.... I know, I know, but I was just a dumb kid.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 pm

version sound wrote:I used to think that Soul Side only got better after Less Deep.... I know, I know, but I was just a dumb kid.

No, in that case, you were right when you were younger and your ears have deserted you. :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 pm

gregpolard wrote:This is embarrassing but...oh well:

In the summer of '99 I was freshly 18. Some channel on cable ran a "news story" about these kids who filmed a documentary on the legend of a witch that lived in the woods of MD and never returned and their footage had been found and was now going to be available for viewing.

So yeah...because of this mock news story to promote the film, I thought the Blair Witch Project was real.

A lot of other folks did, too, as I remember the confusion/debate about it before it was revealed to be a hoax.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:I used to think that Soul Side only got better after Less Deep.... I know, I know, but I was just a dumb kid.

No, in that case, you were right when you were younger and your ears have deserted you. :lol:

You'll understand one day, kiddo.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:56 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

You'll understand one day, kiddo.

Your deafness is not my issue, senor. :lol:
JGJR

Postby jason powell » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:21 pm

Okay, when I was little there were these egg shaped toys called Weebles, and there were commercials about them, and in the commercial, there was parent Weebles, and two kid Weebles, just like my family at the time, and then in another commercial was a grampa Weeble with a boat AND MY GRANDAD HAD A BOAT. So, obviously, I thought that the Weebles were modeled after my family, and I asked my dad about it, and he didnt exactly understand what I was saying, he was like "yeah, kinda like our family" and I took that as confirmation that somehow we were famous and that people were making toys based on my family's life. I really believed that for a long time, even to the point of thinking how it was kind of unfair that they had made toys based on my family but hadnt bothered to give us those toys.
jason powell

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 pm

My older cousin told me he was Spiderman. I was like 'yeah, right'. He 'proved' it to me by making the little web hand thing that Spiderman does when he shoots webs. Like, that's all he did... make a hand gesture. I was totally mystified and believed him. The oddest thing is I don't ever remember being delusional enough to believe that Spiderman was a real person.
SamDBL

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:29 am

My brother and I were watching Wonder Woman. I left the room for about 30 seconds and, when I came back, my brother reported that Lynda Carter's top had fallen off and he saw her boobs. I was devastated that I had missed it. In retrospect, however, I think he may have been lying.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:56 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:My brother and I were watching Wonder Woman. I left the room for about 30 seconds and, when I came back, my brother reported that Lynda Carter's top had fallen off and he saw her boobs. I was devastated that I had missed it. In retrospect, however, I think he may have been lying.

I saw that episode. They were real and they were spectacular.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:04 am

version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:My brother and I were watching Wonder Woman. I left the room for about 30 seconds and, when I came back, my brother reported that Lynda Carter's top had fallen off and he saw her boobs. I was devastated that I had missed it. In retrospect, however, I think he may have been lying.

'Strewth.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:54 am

version sound wrote:

scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:16 am

version sound wrote:

Damn.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby SamDBL » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:59 am

Lynda carter during her heyday is probably the most beautiful woman that has ever existed. She actually still looks ok at 80 or whatever.
SamDBL

Postby lewdd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:53 pm

upon further review i wish i could have met pedro
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:36 pm

lewdd wrote:upon further review i wish i could have met pedro

It’s not too late. I’ve met him. He’s a good dude.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 pm

version sound wrote:

Well, can you arrange for the three of us to meet Hunter at Sbarro?
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:14 am

lewdd wrote:
version sound wrote:

Well, can you arrange for the three of us to meet Hunter at Sbarro?

Undoubtedly
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:00 am

Upon further review...these appear to be loafers
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 pm

That Side B of My War is better than Side A.
FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:56 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:That Side B of My War is better than Side A.

Duh.

And the live versions on Live ‘84 are better than the studio versions.

Overall, though, BF is still trash (relatively speaking) after the TV Party EP.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:14 pm

version sound wrote:And the live versions on Live ‘84 are better than the studio versions.

The Live '84 video is currently streaming via Amazon Prime. When Hank started with that Henry Miller quote...
Funny what we took seriously at 18 vs. 50.
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:20 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:And the live versions on Live ‘84 are better than the studio versions.

The Live '84 video is currently streaming via Amazon Prime. When Hank started with that Henry Miller quote...
Funny what we took seriously at 18 vs. 50.

Is that the same show? That one filmed in England with his black short-shorts was painful for me to sit through. There is virtually nothing of the BF that I loved evident in that video.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:29 pm

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:39 pm

version sound wrote:Is that the same show? That one filmed in England with his black short-shorts was painful for me to sit through. There is virtually nothing of the BF that I loved evident in that video.

Yes, Rollins in black short-shorts. It's that show.

;)

(In all seriousness, yes it must be the same one.)
scannest

Return to daghouse