original movie vs remake

original movie vs remake

Postby clash77 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:47 pm

along the lines of the previous thread, Can you think of a remake that you prefer over the original film? I've never been much of a fan of these films.CAPE FEAR might be the best choice for me?( and even that's a stretch) Drawing a blank here..Thoughts??
clash77

Re: original movie vs remake

Postby drew » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:11 pm

John Carpenter's THE THING over The original....
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:30 pm

drew wrote:John Carpenter's THE THING over The original....

Its a tie. The original 'Thing' had a very eerie charm to it. And yes the remake was quite good indeed.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby clash77 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:34 pm

good call !!! great flick !
clash77

Postby Neal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:18 pm

yeah, the thing (1982) is one of my favorite movies. the original is good, but you can't fuck with old john carpenter stuff.

invasion of the body snatchers (1978). again, the original is good, but the updated version was better, i think.
Neal

Postby john stabb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:26 pm

The original Cape Fear (with a creepy Robert Mitchum) was a completely different film than the remake (with a much creepier DeNiro). Scorcese added his infidelity idea, more gruesome murders, shades of child-molesting, and a river disaster. Both are quite good so I can't say I hated the remake. The Thing remake wasn't a low-budget horror & far gorier than the original. 2 different films. I dig them both. But the remake of Body Snatchers was good, not terrible. It will never stand up to the original for me.

I'll say this: the remake/retelling of True Grit is far superior to the original for me. I think the Cohen Bros. really came up with a far more believable idea with real (not cliched) uneducated language by the characters. Grittier and more violent, that's for sure.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 am

john stabb wrote:The original Cape Fear (with a creepy Robert Mitchum) was a completely different film than the remake (with a much creepier DeNiro). Scorcese added his infidelity idea, more gruesome murders, shades of child-molesting, and a river disaster. Both are quite good so I can't say I hated the remake. The Thing remake wasn't a low-budget horror & far gorier than the original. 2 different films. I dig them both. But the remake of Body Snatchers was good, not terrible. It will never stand up to the original for me.

I'll say this: the remake/retelling of True Grit is far superior to the original for me. I think the Cohen Bros. really came up with a far more believable idea with real (not cliched) uneducated language by the characters. Grittier and more violent, that's for sure.

yeah i agree with this, for sure. esp for true grit, that girl was amazing(esp for her first movie), they stuck to the actual book, and bridges made john wayne look like a hack(which he was). i do think it is rare that a remake can top the original though. these would be on the shortlist for good remakes, and two of them were made by auteur directors. in the end, cape fear is probably one of scorsese's weaker movies. i enjoy it, but i would have rather seen him do something original when he was in his prime, esp with deniro and nolte. i think speilberg was going to do it originally and it ended up going to marty, but i forget the details.

some movies should just never get remade-psycho was horrible, and it was essentially the same shot for shot. assault on precinct 17 was also shit. they are trying to remake angel heart and that was a great movie made in 1987 that would have no purpose in being remade. i never bothered to see the straw dogs remake, but i heard it was watered down and really shitty. tony scott was trying to remake the wild bunch before he died, which would have been lame as shit. the guy who did the A team is remaking deathwish. it just gets old. even a movie like jaws would obviously look better today, but i can't imagine anyone making it a better film than the og, even if spielberg himself directed it.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:22 am

I'm pretty much against all those remakes and The Thing is probably the only one worth watching. I guess Hollywood is short on ideas seeing as how many movies have been remade and none of them were necessary and few were even tolerable.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Chris Shary » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:26 am

Totally agree with Stabby on the True Grit call. The original is corny and painful.
Chris Shary

Postby pedro » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:55 am

Chris Shary wrote:Totally agree with Stabby on the True Grit call. The original is corny and painful.

Best part of the remake was that it was Mattie's story, where the original was more Rooster's story. A disney-fied version of Rooster's story to boot. The remake destroys the original.

I also love both Cape Fears.

In the running for worst remake: Taking of Pelham 123. Travolta sucks.
Last edited by pedro on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:26 pm

I did like the Johnny Depp Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Not as much as the original but I thought it was a very good film.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby john stabb » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:44 pm

YNE, I agree that Cape Fear remake is one of Scorsese's weaker ideas but I liked it all the same. I didn't love it. And we don't have enough time or space here to get into that Psycho remake. :evil: :o Gus Van Sant deserves to be castrated for attempting to do Hitchcock, much less one of the best Hitchcocks :!:

I haven't put myself through Assault on Precinct 17 remake but the Straw Dogs remake wasn't terrible. Far more violent (but overdone compared to Peckinpah if that can be done) but it didn't knock me out like the original did. The acting of Dustin Hoffman being the nerd pushed too far till exploding was far better than the guy in the remake. The rape scene in both was still disturbing but the original Irish thugs were creepier.

And (we've discussed this before but) they should NEVER attempt to remake JAWS or DEATHWISH :!: And they shouldn't touch Angel Heart either.
Burn Hollywood Burn.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby clash77 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Stabb..Fuck no!!!! Jaws my fav..I don't want that movie touched with that CGI bullshit!!!!! Please no!!!!!!!?!!
clash77

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:03 pm

john stabb wrote:YNE, I agree that Cape Fear remake is one of Scorsese's weaker ideas but I liked it all the same. I didn't love it. And we don't have enough time or space here to get into that Psycho remake. :evil: :o Gus Van Sant deserves to be castrated for attempting to do Hitchcock, much less one of the best Hitchcocks :!:

I haven't put myself through Assault on Precinct 17 remake but the Straw Dogs remake wasn't terrible. Far more violent (but overdone compared to Peckinpah if that can be done) but it didn't knock me out like the original did. The acting of Dustin Hoffman being the nerd pushed too far till exploding was far better than the guy in the remake. The rape scene in both was still disturbing but the original Irish thugs were creepier.

And (we've discussed this before but) they should NEVER attempt to remake JAWS or DEATHWISH :!: And they shouldn't touch Angel Heart either.
Burn Hollywood Burn.

deathwish:apparently joe carnahan just wants to take the idea of the character and the name and do a whole other movie, something to the effect of a movie about walking around LA at night. it actually sounds better than a straight up remake, but just use a different character at that point. i guess you need the title/reboot appeal to sell it to hollywood, i am not sure.

i dont know if angelheart is going to get remade. it got talked about since 2008 when rourke became a hot commodity again,but i don't see it happening.

i don't think i would want to see straw dogs. i saw assault because my friend used to get into movies for cheap because he had some family member with a high position on the board. it was pretty much exactly the same movie, but i don't see any point in remaking a cult b movie with hollywood stars.

sometimes i see something older like guns of navarone and i am sure they could remake it and have the guns not look so cheesy, but you have to take that stuff in the time it was made. i don't how many times they remade moby dick,but none of them are going to be as good as john houston's(which, in the end is still not one of his greatest films).
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Generally no,not into it.
I saw the remakes of Cape Fear and The Thing before I even knew there was an original. Enjoyed both.
Probably not cool to admit,but I enjoyed the remake of War Of The Worlds.
Gary

Postby jason powell » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Gary wrote:Generally no,not into it.
I saw the remakes of Cape Fear and The Thing before I even knew there was an original. Enjoyed both.
Probably not cool to admit,but I enjoyed the remake of War Of The Worlds.

I have never seen the original Cape Fear, but I like both of The Things, and the remake is decent as its own deal. Also agree with Stabb on True Grit, since its been on tv a lot lately. I like it. But, yeah, it may not be cool, but, I loved War of the Worlds, even though I love the original and I generally cant stand Tom Cruise.

I dont know if re-launches count, but, I also am a big fan of the re-done Star Trek, Batman, Superman, and the last Spiderman movies.
jason powell

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:11 am

The remake of Ocean's Eleven is better than the original.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Janelle » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Its a tie. The original 'Thing' had a very eerie charm to it. And yes the remake was quite good indeed.

But then they had a remake-remake! ha you know like three years ago! Clash77 and I watched it and I liked that the Kurt Russell protagonist was a girl but that '82 one was great. I have to say, I know sometimes it's on TCM, but I never saw the real '50s original! And I agree with Matt about how great the effects were. For sure now they just use computer generated stuff but that old creative stuff when it was a real like art ruled.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 am

If I repeat people, I'm sorry, but we were talking about remakes last night he mentioned he put up this post and I was trying to think of the horror remakes (that shouldn't have been touched) - Psycho Texas Chainsaw Massacre Amityville Horror The Omen Halloween (I guess it was Rob Zombie "reimagining and I like him and could watch it but still...) Friday the 13 Nightmare On Elm Street April Fools Day. Then stuff like House Of Wax Silent Night The Hills Have Eyes (!!!!! I actually liked this version too I have to say) My Bloody Valentine (never saw the remake but omg they had the original late-70s/early-80s one on Fearnet this summer and that was hysterical!!!!!!) When A Stranger Calls.

When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby clash77 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:28 pm

the remake of The Poseidon Adventure is another bust.No reason to remake this "classic".I guess the Towering Inferno is next?? Or has that been remade also???
clash77

Return to daghouse