Grant Hart "The Argument"

Grant Hart "The Argument"

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 am

Anyone hear this yet?

I saw the little blurb in MOJO and Uncut as well as this review: http://www.avclub.com/articles/grant-ha ... nt,100566/

I'm very intrigued. I never got as into his solo stuff as I have Bob's, but I'm also not nearly as familiar.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Grant Hart "The Argument"

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:39 am

scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:40 am

If it's not a song-for-song cover of the Fugazi LP, he really should have found a different title.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:53 am

version sound wrote:If it's not a song-for-song cover of the Fugazi LP, he really should have found a different title.

This from the man who is constantly raving about some record called Daydream Nation by a band other than Sonic Youth.
:roll:
I've heard lots of good things about the new Grant Hart. Based on a friend's rave I went ahead an ordered a copy yesterday.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:If it's not a song-for-song cover of the Fugazi LP, he really should have found a different title.

This from the man who is constantly raving about some record called Daydream Nation by a band other than Sonic Youth.
I've heard lots of good things about the new Grant Hart. Based on a friend's rave I went ahead an ordered a copy yesterday.

haha! And I think I'm going to listen on Spotify and if I enjoy, I will purchase on iTunes since I'm assuming the vinyl will be super expensive as it's a double LP and on that label Domino.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:25 pm

scannest wrote:

Good point, but that was a definite choice that was at least partly an homage. If Grant did it intentionally, he gets full credit, though I doubt that was the case.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:53 pm

On a related note, I almost never think of the Beatles record when I think of Let it Be.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:59 pm

scannest wrote:On a related note, I almost never think of the Beatles record when I think of Let it Be.

Same here!
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:12 pm

It's 50/50 for me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:29 pm

This! The title also makes me think of Fugazi.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:31 pm

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

haha! And I think I'm going to listen on Spotify and if I enjoy, I will purchase on iTunes since I'm assuming the vinyl will be super expensive as it's a double LP and on that label Domino.

Yeah Domino's vinyl is ridiculous. Those Orange Juice reissues set me back about 100 bucks, though I wish I'd gone to that record fair in Brooklyn (went last year but this year not in the cards obviously though I probably could've swung it that day; would've been tough, though) where John E. got them for $45 directly from the label, who had a stall there.
JGJR

Postby Bill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:27 pm

The one time I saw Grant Hart pretty much bummed me out on the guy for life, but the positive press on this has me kind of intrigued.
Bill

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Bill wrote:The one time I saw Grant Hart pretty much bummed me out on the guy for life, but the positive press on this has me kind of intrigued.

This (kind of), especially after I found out that he was a total dick to the openers when I saw them here about 4 years ago. I did enjoy his commentary in the Replacements documentary, though, and I will check out the new album.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:07 pm

I listened to the album once. It's a lot to take on in one sitting. I was listening to it on headphones at work while doing other things and will definitely revisit it. I feel like it's one of those things that could really grow on me though. One of the songs sounded a lot like "Flexible Flyer", just slowed down (one of the above reviews mentioned this as well)

I didn't hear about him being a dick to the openers or anything. He seems like a cool guy from interviews and such but what does that mean? nothing really.
gregpolard

Postby Ed Roach » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:35 am

This one is growing on me...some of it sounds like he's in a Bowie kind of mood.
Ed Roach

Return to daghouse