The official Daghouse thread for Breaking Bad

Re: The official Daghouse thread for Breaking Bad

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:54 pm

SPOILER WARNING!!!

I have heard from a very reliable source that the final shot of the final episode is Huell, sitting on the bed in that motel room, looking at his watch and saying, "Fuck it, I'm outta here."
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:31 pm

scannest wrote:SPOILER WARNING!!!

I have heard from a very reliable source that the final shot of the final episode is Huell, sitting on the bed in that motel room, looking at his watch and saying, "Fuck it, I'm outta here."

This made me crack up!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:56 pm

scannest wrote:SPOILER WARNING!!!

Nonsense. This is what happens to Huell.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/awes ... ign=130927

:lol: :lol: :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:30 pm

SPOILERS AHEAD

So? OK, I'm a bit disappointed that we don't find out what really happened at Grey Matter all of those years ago, but many loose ends were tied up quite nicely. The directing in this episode was superb. The scenes with his family were heartbreaking, yet kind of touching. Walt finally tells the truth. I guessed right about the ricin being for Lydia and the machine gun being for the Nazis. I'm still not quite sure how he made it all the way to New Mexico without being caught. The cold opening confused me a bit. The last scene between Walt and Jesse was so intense. I was surprised Marie wasn't more of a pivotal character in the finale? What happened to Huell and Saul? Any other questions? All in all, I was happy with this episode.
JGJR

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 am

tad ghostal

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:44 am

JGJR wrote:SPOILERS AHEAD

So? OK, I'm a bit disappointed that we don't find out what really happened at Grey Matter all of those years ago, but many loose ends were tied up quite nicely. The directing in this episode was superb. The scenes with his family were heartbreaking, yet kind of touching. Walt finally tells the truth. I guessed right about the ricin being for Lydia and the machine gun being for the Nazis. I'm still not quite sure how he made it all the way to New Mexico without being caught. The cold opening confused me a bit. The last scene between Walt and Jesse was so intense. I was surprised Marie wasn't more of a pivotal character in the finale? What happened to Huell and Saul? Any other questions? All in all, I was happy with this episode.

I liked the way everything went down. I don't think the episode needed anymore Marie because was all about Walt wrapping up loose ends. More Marie would have just been a distraction, I think. Saul is in Nebraska with a new identity but I did wonder what was going to become of Huell, and Jesse for that matter.
tad ghostal

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:49 am

tad ghostal wrote:

I liked the way everything went down. I don't think the episode needed anymore Marie because was all about Walt wrapping up loose ends. More Marie would have just been a distraction, I think. Saul is in Nebraska with a new identity but I did wonder what was going to become of Huell, and Jesse for that matter.

You and me both. Well put. I guess we may find out on Better Call Saul re: what happens to him unless it really it is the prequel they're claiming. I'd be more interested in Saul the Cinnabon manager in Omaha, though either would be cool.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 am

Still processing everything.

I will add my thoughts later tonight.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:27 am

JGJR wrote:
tad ghostal wrote:

You and me both. Well put. I guess we may find out on Better Call Saul re: what happens to him unless it really it is the prequel they're claiming. I'd be more interested in Saul the Cinnabon manager in Omaha, though either would be cool.

It would have been kinda funny if at some point in the finale they cut to a scene with Saul putting on a Cinnabon apron and heading into his new job.
tad ghostal

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:58 am

i am guessing the opening scene was a car right outside of the bar or somewhere near it.i don't know what he was thinking about being caught though to get home, since he never would have made bail and died in jail. i think they just kind of glossed over the fact he would have gotten picked up right away, since it would have taken him at least 2 days or more to get out to NM, and he prolly couldn't drive non stop in his condition anyway. my guess is huell gets his freedom since they said he could leave at any time and there is nothing to tie him to anything now. i think saul ends up someplace else besides omaha.

i thought the episode was pretty good, but you kind of figured it was going to play out that way with the machine gun. at some point i thought they were all going to die, that might have been a little cooler. i still would have liked to have seen jesse die, but i guess he is broke and wanted by the police now, so it's not like he is off scott free. i don't think you needed anything else from marie or the family either, they kind of got that out of the way with the previous two episodes. ozymandias was the best episode of the last season by far, but i felt that the last two were not as good by comparison. that said, it's hard to end a show perfectly and i think they ended the series before it ever got to a jump the shark/lame season thing most shows end up suffering from.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:49 am

yourenotevil wrote:

i am guessing the opening scene was a car right outside of the bar or somewhere near it.i don't know what he was thinking about being caught though to get home, since he never would have made bail and died in jail. i think they just kind of glossed over the fact he would have gotten picked up right away, since it would have taken him at least 2 days or more to get out to NM, and he prolly couldn't drive non stop in his condition anyway. my guess is huell gets his freedom since they said he could leave at any time and there is nothing to tie him to anything now. i think saul ends up someplace else besides omaha.

i thought the episode was pretty good, but you kind of figured it was going to play out that way with the machine gun. at some point i thought they were all going to die, that might have been a little cooler. i still would have liked to have seen jesse die, but i guess he is broke and wanted by the police now, so it's not like he is off scott free. i don't think you needed anything else from marie or the family either, they kind of got that out of the way with the previous two episodes. ozymandias was the best episode of the last season by far, but i felt that the last two were not as good by comparison. that said, it's hard to end a show perfectly and i think they ended the series before it ever got to a jump the shark/lame season thing most shows end up suffering from.

My brother wanted everyone to die, too. I had the same thoughts about Jesse that you have. He's the only one that the DEA can come down on now. I suppose they might find evidence at the compound of him helping Hank (if it wasn't destroyed) but there's a good chance that he's a wanted man now. Where's he gonna go? Saul's gone, he can't go to the vacuum guy because he doesn't know who he is and, if I recall correctly, you get only one chance with him. Plus, he has no money. So, Jesse is free for now, but for how long?
tad ghostal

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 am

tad ghostal wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

yeah, i think the way they showed him bailing so fast and the look of elation/desperation on the final shot of his face leaving the compound that he is not a free man at all. walt spared his life, but now he is essentially in the same place as walt. as in he has no one left that cares about him and he is broke. i think the video of him confessing to hank was still playing on the tv when they showed hank's house after it had been ransacked. i guess you think at some point hank must have revealed what he was doing to someone other than gomez, maybe just before they went to the money/shootout site.

My brother wanted everyone to die, too. I had the same thoughts about Jesse that you have. He's the only one that the DEA can come down on now. I suppose they might find evidence at the compound of him helping Hank (if it wasn't destroyed) but there's a good chance that he's a wanted man now. Where's he gonna go? Saul's gone, he can't go to the vacuum guy because he doesn't know who he is and, if I recall correctly, you get only one chance with him. Plus, he has no money. So, Jesse is free for now, but for how long?

yeah, i think the way they showed him bailing so fast and the look of elation/desperation on the final shot of his face leaving the compound that he is not a free man at all. walt spared his life, but now he is essentially in the same place as walt. as in he has no one left that cares about him and he is broke. i think the video of him confessing to hank was still playing on the tv when they showed hank's house after it had been ransacked. i guess you think at some point hank must have revealed what he was doing to someone other than gomez, maybe just before they went to the money/shootout site.

but yeah, jesse should have died, he is a bitch. he couldn't even kill walt at the end and do him the favor, but i guess it was ultimately a moot point as he was shot and obviously done for dramatic effect.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:01 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
tad ghostal wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

but yeah, jesse should have died, he is a bitch. he couldn't even kill walt at the end and do him the favor, but i guess it was ultimately a moot point as he was shot and obviously done for dramatic effect.

Y'all are whack. Jesse made some poor choices, to say the least, but he was the only one left who had some semblance of humanity in him. Maybe he went to visit Brock? Anyway, I'm glad Walt saved him and that Jesse didn't pull the trigger.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:09 pm

i just wanted street justice!

but in all seriousness, it would have been cooler if they had all died, a la the wild bunch since the machine gun was in effect.
Last edited by yourenotevil on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:13 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i just wanted street justice!

If last night's episode wasn't that, I don't know what was. I mean think about it. Walt's kids will get their money, Elliott and Gretchen were scared out of their wits for defaming Walt, the Nazis and Lydia died as did Todd (how great was that scene; so happy they let Jesse have that) and Skyler (and the kids) and Marie were spared.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:19 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:i just wanted street justice!

If last night's episode wasn't that, I don't know what was. I mean think about it. Walt's kids will get their money, Elliott and Gretchen were scared out of their wits for defaming Walt, the Nazis and Lydia died as did Todd (how great was that scene; so happy they let Jesse have that) and Skyler (and the kids) and Marie were spared.

almost, except jesse should die for being a bitch ass rat with no balls.
yourenotevil

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:24 am

but how many here were incredibly annoyed that the Jesse character was milked to death by the actor on the season debut of SNL :?: Just because BB is a huge hit on TV doesn't mean it should be parodied to no end to make another show get big ratings. LAME-0 :!:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:11 am

john stabb wrote:but how many here were incredibly annoyed that the Jesse character was milked to death by the actor on the season debut of SNL :?: Just because BB is a huge hit on TV doesn't mean it should be parodied to no end to make another show get big ratings. LAME-0 :!:

I'm all for Aaron Paul milking his character. It looks better than that Need for Speed that was plugged endlessly on the BB finale. I hope he doesn't go down the Vin Diesel action hero route, but we shall see. He was funny on Conan last week (and on Talking Bad, too) when they had the whole cast on. Between the Girls parody (totally spot-on), the BB bit and Arcade Fire being the musical guest (still haven't watched their performances), SNL was actually pretty awesome this past week and I don't usually say that!
JGJR

Postby pilster » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:15 pm

OK, I loved everything in the finale and pretty much the series, except I didn't think the plan with the machine gun was smart enough for Walt to have confidence in. If one car is parked in the wrong spot, this whole series has a very different ending. I would have preferred a plan that went to hell, but everything worked out in the chaos somehow anyway. Talk me out of that, the Gretchen and Elliot thing was totally brilliant.
pilster

Postby jason powell » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Jesse was always the one who Walt took everything from and used over and over to do his own dirty work. He manipulated Jesse hard, and Jesse had almost always tried to do him good except at the very end. My favorite bit was when Badger and Pete implied to Walt that the stuff on the street was even better than when Walt was cooking.
jason powell

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:09 pm

An excellent, dissenting opinion on the series finale:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... iewed.html

"...but halfway through, at around the time that Walt was gazing at Walt, Jr., I became fixated on the idea that what we were watching must be a dying fantasy on the part of Walter White, not something that was actually happening—at least not in the “real world” of the previous seasons.

And, if that were indeed the case, I’d be writing a rave."
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:28 pm

scannest wrote:An excellent, dissenting opinion on the series finale:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... iewed.html

"...but halfway through, at around the time that Walt was gazing at Walt, Jr., I became fixated on the idea that what we were watching must be a dying fantasy on the part of Walter White, not something that was actually happening—at least not in the “real world” of the previous seasons.

And, if that were indeed the case, I’d be writing a rave."

Contrarian BS. I will re-print the best comment here.

"Sorry, but these arguments are just silly. I'll break down the silliest ones:

"The unifying element of this episode is that Walter himself is never noticed"

Walt's look has changed drastically. He's turned into a shriveled husk with a beard and hair. He's not going out in public like Dexter's girlfriend. Plus, he WAS spotted by his neighbor, remember? That's how the police knew he was in town.

"The Schwartzes, who are two Bill Gates–level celebrities, have no effective security measures in their house; they push no panic button in the many minutes before Walt indicates that there are assassins outside."

Bill Gates-level is pushing it. They're rich entrepeneurs. Why would they have armed security at their place? And Walt was clearly standing between them and the alarm system. Is it really hard to buy that a privileged couple would be scared compliant by a former friend who has turned into the most wanted man in America?

"Badger and Skinny Pete agree to participate in this plan, rather than, say, turn Walt in to the police and get a huge reward."

Cause that's what two tweakers who have a history with their meth-making friends would do?

"No one spots Walt when he enters Skyler’s home, either—or when he leaves. No one notices when Walt goes to see his son for the last time, even though you’d imagine that area would be flooded with surveillance."

Did you miss the part where Marie says that someone has been calling in fake reports of Walter White all over town in a deliberate move to spread the police force thin?

"Even though Lydia has told the Nazis that Walt is back, and the Nazis are planning to kill him, they let him in. They don’t shoot him immediately."

Why would they shoot him outside the compound? They didn't think he posed a threat to them. They thought he was desperate (and above all else, Todd has a huge respect for him). They're not going to just waste him without hearing what he has to say. And Uncle Jack's bruised ego commanding them to fetch Jessie was completely in character.

The article just feels nitpicky beyond belief. And you seem like someone who doesn't like filling in what happened between "A" and "C." We didn't need to see Walt tracking down Badger and Skinny Pete anymore than we needed to see him fuel up at every rest stop on his way back to New Mexico. And Lydia's freagin' daughter? Seriously? If that's what you wanted to see, then maybe the finale episode should have spent its time with all the grieving family members of the plane accident victims. As for me, I'm happy the finale used it's time well and focused on the characters who mattered rather than going off on ridiculous tangents. "
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:27 pm

not gonna read that article, but i can sum it simply by saying it is a goddamn tv show! in film and tv you need to leave shit like this at the door most of the time. jack bauer never took a shit or went to the bathroom in something like 8 full seasons of 24, or never even seemed to have a meal for that matter. while it made for some good jokes, it didn't really detract from the show because you knew that most of this could never happen in reality anyway. i think pretty early on you had to suspend disbelief to buy into this show, but that's part of the bargain when you are sitting down for an hour to be entertained. there are some things i even questioned like the whitman book being left on top of the toilet, but 99% of the time it is done to create conflict and move the story forward. unless a show really bases and prides itself on sticking to historical fact like mad men or realistic police procedures like the wire, you have to let most of this shit go.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:49 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i think pretty early on you had to suspend disbelief to buy into this show, but that's part of the bargain when you are sitting down for an hour to be entertained. there are some things i even questioned like the whitman book being left on top of the toilet, but 99% of the time it is done to create conflict and move the story forward. unless a show really bases and prides itself on sticking to historical fact like mad men or realistic police procedures like the wire, you have to let most of this shit go.

THIS!!!
JGJR

Previous

Return to daghouse