The official Daghouse thread for Breaking Bad

The official Daghouse thread for Breaking Bad

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:16 am

There was one on the old board but we'll start fresh.

Less than 2 weeks!

Who's excited?!

Also, beware possible spoilers in this thread.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: The official Daghouse thread for Breaking Bad

Postby James » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:45 pm

Who's excited?

THIS GUY!
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:05 pm

A cool, cryptic trailer for the final 8 episodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:24 pm

yeah i want to see it, but it is still lame as fuck how they milked it for over a year. the killing seems to be falling off, so amc is not left with IMO.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:47 pm

yourenotevil wrote:yeah i want to see it, but it is still lame as fuck how they milked it for over a year. the killing seems to be falling off, so amc is not left with IMO.

Mad Men called and said "yourenotevil, you really underrate us." :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:34 pm

scannest wrote:A cool, cryptic trailer for the final 8 episodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE

I love this. Any predictions? I'm so curious as to how they will tie everything back to that scene in the first episode of Season 5....the flash forward at the diner.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:35 pm

yourenotevil wrote:yeah i want to see it, but it is still lame as fuck how they milked it for over a year. the killing seems to be falling off, so amc is not left with IMO.

I agree. It's weird...I thought the reason they decided to only give it "one more" season (and who are they kidding, splitting a season in half is 2 seasons) was for monetary reasons. I'd assume BB is one of their cash cows so the whole thing just doesn't make sense to me but I'm kinda glad it's ending before it got bad like a lot of shows do. I honestly can't find a fault with this series thus far. Even the stuff that happens that is pretty unrealistic, they somehow pull off.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:18 am

There was an interview with Vince Gilligan at a museum in New York and the interviewer gave away a kinda spoiler for this season. It's a pretty funny one in that it doesn't really give away much but can lead to some wild speculation.
Anyway, if someone wants to know try googling "Vince Gilligan" and "museum of moving image". You'll find it a link pretty quickly.
scannest

Postby sonofa » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:37 am

I can't wait - have been there since 2nd season. I think Walt has to die in the end of cancer.
sonofa

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:40 pm

sonofa wrote:I think Walt has to die in the end of cancer.

I kinda think that's too good for him. I hope for nothing less than prison or violent drug-crime related death. Gilligan has talked about his desire to see evil people punished for their acts. Dying of cancer is almost as good as letting him off the hook. I don't think he gets off the hook.
scannest

Postby aquaman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:33 pm

Get your votes in now, cause once the season starts, betting is closed.
I'm picking Hank to kill Walt. But there's plenty of potential killers and/or outcomes.
My one major beef with the show was when Walt and Jr were watching Scarface on TV...all along Vince Gilligan has said Mr. Chips to Scarface...did you really need to show Scarface? Foreshadowing Walt going out in a bullet storm? I hope it comes down to one on one.
aquaman

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:18 pm

JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:01 pm

gregpolard wrote:

I agree. It's weird...I thought the reason they decided to only give it "one more" season (and who are they kidding, splitting a season in half is 2 seasons) was for monetary reasons. I'd assume BB is one of their cash cows so the whole thing just doesn't make sense to me but I'm kinda glad it's ending before it got bad like a lot of shows do. I honestly can't find a fault with this series thus far. Even the stuff that happens that is pretty unrealistic, they somehow pull off.

it was mainly so they could get emmy nominations for two seasons and not one, and instead of playing it out last summer, they could set up BB to start following the end of madmen and the killing, and use it as a lead in to the new show they are promoting( i forget what is called, something about cops). i think at that point they had nothing that was getting ratings as far as new shows went. they even had canceled the killing and brought it back to fill their slate this summer. if you notice, the only two shows they did breaks on were BB(for one season), and they always do a hiatus on the walking dead for about a month so they can expand their schedule when the only thing they are showing is reality shows. i've read the management at AMC just wants big numbers, and even slashed the budget for walking dead even though it was setting all kinds of basic cable ratings records.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:11 am

JGJR wrote:http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/awesome_of_the_day/2013/07/aaron-paul-hangs-out-with-a-hollywood-tour-van-because-hes-awesome.html?utm_source=PANL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=130731

It says the video is private.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:12 am

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

it was mainly so they could get emmy nominations for two seasons and not one, and instead of playing it out last summer, they could set up BB to start following the end of madmen and the killing, and use it as a lead in to the new show they are promoting( i forget what is called, something about cops). i think at that point they had nothing that was getting ratings as far as new shows went. they even had canceled the killing and brought it back to fill their slate this summer. if you notice, the only two shows they did breaks on were BB(for one season), and they always do a hiatus on the walking dead for about a month so they can expand their schedule when the only thing they are showing is reality shows. i've read the management at AMC just wants big numbers, and even slashed the budget for walking dead even though it was setting all kinds of basic cable ratings records.

That's annoying. I also saw that Walking Dead isn't coming back in October. It's coming in February, which is also annoying.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:18 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/awesome_of_the_day/2013/07/aaron-paul-hangs-out-with-a-hollywood-tour-van-because-hes-awesome.html?utm_source=PANL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=130731

It says the video is private.

Sorry about that. I should've checked it before I posted it here!
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:44 pm

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

That's annoying. I also saw that Walking Dead isn't coming back in October. It's coming in February, which is also annoying.

i think i could live with that show getting canceled.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:24 pm

I don't think Walt will die of cancer either. I feel like Jesse is going to die. Hank too. I think Walt will die, but not at the hand of either of those guys.
gregpolard

Postby aquaman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:26 pm

aquaman

Postby Bill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:06 pm

gregpolard wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that there was some escalation clause in the original contracts that would kick in after season 5, so that's why they did the "split" bullshit. Or that might have been some other show, I don't know. Considering Vince was ready to end it after season 4 I'm more than willing to settle with stretching it out and getting new episodes than ending on "I won."

Also, to whoever brought up The Walking Dead it's premiere date is October 13 for the Fall, February for the Spring. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/comic ... e-zombies/
Bill

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Reruns are on AMC now...getting so excited.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:18 pm

i thought the new episode was pretty good. the first and last scenes were def the best.

in re: bill's post-i read they took a four month break in between these two "mini seasons." i think the actor playing hank also has another tv show now, so maybe they also did it to partly accommodate his own schedule. but there is no official statement as to why they did it other than the fact it gives them longer to milk it and another chance at emmy nominations.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:57 am

Episode was great and surpassed expectations.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:50 pm

I thought this was great! It's an animated version of the Star Trek conversation between Badger and Skinny Pete. Well worth 2 minutes of your time.

gregpolard

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:56 pm

I really can't even comment on BB at this point without just lapsing into "OMG HOLY SHIT I LOVE IT." After that last scene, especially the far away camera angle after "Tread lightly" I stared at my TV for a solid two minutes with my mouth agape.

I was so happy to see Matt Jones's name in the opening credits and he did not disappoint. Badger forever.
Bill

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:57 pm

That Hank/Walt scene...I was so queazy haha
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:57 am

Bill wrote:After that last scene, especially the far away camera angle after "Tread lightly" I stared at my TV for a solid two minutes with my mouth agape.

I just read an interview with "Hank" where he explained that the scene was written to end with Walt swaggering out of the garage in bad-ass Heisenberg mode. But on the set they decided it didn't work. It played better if Walt was just as shaken up by what happened as Hank. FWIW, Cranston also directed the episode.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:12 am

scannest wrote:
Bill wrote:After that last scene, especially the far away camera angle after "Tread lightly" I stared at my TV for a solid two minutes with my mouth agape.

I just read an interview with "Hank" where he explained that the scene was written to end with Walt swaggering out of the garage in bad-ass Heisenberg mode. But on the set they decided it didn't work. It played better if Walt was just as shaken up by what happened as Hank. FWIW, Cranston also directed the episode.

That's awesome. I honestly thought Walt was just going to walk away after the small talk. Even when he stopped for a minute and turned around....I didn't think he was going to pull out the bug.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:21 am

gregpolard wrote:I honestly thought Walt was just going to walk away after the small talk. Even when he stopped for a minute and turned around....I didn't think he was going to pull out the bug.

Yeah, but they've done that with Walt before. He can't help but show off how "clever" he is. Remember, this would have all been over if Walt didn't plant the idea in Hank's head that Heisenberg was still out there. He wants everyone to know he's the smartest guy in the room.
scannest

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:28 am

i just have to bring this up and i know it is a tv show-but why the hell would walt keep the book that guy gave him, esp if he wrote something personal in it?
Last edited by yourenotevil on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:33 am

yourenotevil wrote:i just have to bring this up and i know it is a tv show-but why the hell would walk keep the book that guy gave him, esp if he wrote something personal in it?

Because it's a tv show? :)
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:45 am

yourenotevil wrote:i just have to bring this up and i know it is a tv show-but why the hell would walt keep the book that guy gave him, esp if he wrote something personal in it?

As far as mistakes go, I think it is not an implausible one. Isn't it supposed to be an first edition or something like that? I can see Walt keeping it around. Keeping it in the bathroom is another issue...but again, not so dopey that it bothers me.
scannest

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:53 am

scannest wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:i just have to bring this up and i know it is a tv show-but why the hell would walt keep the book that guy gave him, esp if he wrote something personal in it?

As far as mistakes go, I think it is not an implausible one. Isn't it supposed to be an first edition or something like that? I can see Walt keeping it around. Keeping it in the bathroom is another issue...but again, not so dopey that it bothers me.

it doesn't bother me, but if hank already made the joke about it you think walt would have dumped it, or kept it hidden. i just thought it was always kind of corny.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:54 am

So who else was as completely blown away (and emotionally drained) after this past Sunday's episode? I think it's the best of the series (Vince Gilligan agrees with me) and many others seem to agree. To say that I can't wait for the final two episodes is a huge understatement. I started watching this show about a month ago and finally caught up a few days ago.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:05 am

It was unreal. Perfect episode. 10.0
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:51 am

gregpolard wrote:It was unreal. Perfect episode. 10.0

i still can't get past the book on the toilet premise. fuck this show.....

ok, it was awesome.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:51 pm

So what did you all think about Granite State?
JGJR

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:58 am

Depressed watching that episode last night. I'm sorry, but I'm still on Walter's side. That stay-with-me-for-two-hours-and-I'll-pay-you-10,000 killed me and Jr. telling him he wished he'd just die... On the phone telling him "it all can't be for nothing" or whatever.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:18 am

Janelle wrote:Depressed watching that episode last night. I'm sorry, but I'm still on Walter's side. That stay-with-me-for-two-hours-and-I'll-pay-you-10,000 killed me and Jr. telling him he wished he'd just die... On the phone telling him "it all can't be for nothing" or whatever.

I'm right there with you, Janelle. I'd love to see Elliott or Gretchen puff that ricin cigarette and for everyone to go out via phosphine gas or some other measure even if it means Walt and Jesse don't survive. But man, Todd deserves to get got, too.

Isn't it funny how the show is set up to make you pull for a drug kingpin mass murderer?
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:21 am

JGJR wrote:So what did you all think about Granite State?

it was solid,but i think they kind of shot their load after last episode IMO. i would have worked the crucial elements of this episode into the last one and the next one and maybe skipped the drama. i mean, you know walt is dying and he is going to not stay at the cabin anyway(maybe the episode one reveal was a little too revealing in retrospect). even the stuff with jesse's old lady seemed by the numbers. i don't think it has to do with bad writing, but more like trapping yourself in a corner. i know they wanted to max out all of the episodes but i don't know if they had enough to fill up 75 minutes worth of stuff here.
yourenotevil

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:31 am

JGJR wrote:
Isn't it funny how the show is set up to make you pull for a drug kingpin mass murderer?

I know, but even like TV reviewers who write whole analyses about the episodes and the show in general, the things I've read, at least, are like, he always invokes family and doing it for the right reasons but he's so evil.

I think, no, he DOES have good intentions, they're just skewed (!) sometimes. I mean, even him still in this episode wanting to get Saul to help him get people to kill the neo-Nazi guys for killing Hank - and when that whole thing in the desert happened when he knew Hank was there and told those guys not to come. And you could see him in the truck trying to yell to keep them from shooting.
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:35 am

JGJR wrote:

Mad Men called and said "yourenotevil, you really underrate us." :lol:

I've never watched Mad Men, but aren't they doing that with those last episodes or the last season too? - Prolonging it?
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:39 am

gregpolard wrote:Reruns are on AMC now...getting so excited.

I guess you all saw watching last night, but they're doing reruns again of every episode, starting at 8pm Wed. I like how they do that with their shows. It reminds me - I was late to the party in watching The Walking Dead 'cause I'd heard of it and I'm like, ok, people watch it, but it's a zombie thing, haven't we seen this 1000 times before?!!!!! But then I saw they had I guess before the last season, they aired past seasons all in one like weekend or something and I dvr'd most of it and I got into it!
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:42 am

yourenotevil wrote:i thought the new episode was pretty good. the first and last scenes were def the best.

in re: bill's post-i read they took a four month break in between these two "mini seasons." i think the actor playing hank also has another tv show now, so maybe they also did it to partly accommodate his own schedule. but there is no official statement as to why they did it other than the fact it gives them longer to milk it and another chance at emmy nominations.

Yeah, the Hank character, I never watched it, but I read somewhere about it and recognized "Dean Norris" name and he was on some show in the summer that was a Stephen King thing.
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:45 am

scannest wrote: He can't help but show off how "clever" he is. Remember, this would have all been over if Walt didn't plant the idea in Hank's head that Heisenberg was still out there. He wants everyone to know he's the smartest guy in the room.

Ah, like in the greatest Greek tragedies, the hubris of man is always a prominent feature :)
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 am

Janelle wrote:
scannest wrote: He can't help but show off how "clever" he is. Remember, this would have all been over if Walt didn't plant the idea in Hank's head that Heisenberg was still out there. He wants everyone to know he's the smartest guy in the room.

Ah, like in the greatest Greek tragedies, the hubris of man is always a prominent feature :)

...And like, in this case, their downfall!
Janelle

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 am

I think the reason that Walt will come for the neo-Nazis with the M60 shown in an earlier episode's cold opening is not only because Uncle Jack killed Hank, but because they took most of his money. Whether or not Jesse will be freed from his enslavement remains to be seen.

And yes, Mad Men is also splitting its final season into two parts like Breaking Bad. The first part is airing next year and they will finish up in 2015. I understand why they're doing this from a marketing standpoint (it's been massively successful now with BB), but as a long-time fan of Mad Men, it kind of pisses me off. I'd prefer not to wait a year to see the final episodes!
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:06 am

Walt's ego has always been his downfall. I will have more thoughts later....I don't know how they're going to wrap everything up with one more episode but hey.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:17 am

JGJR wrote:I think the reason that Walt will come for the neo-Nazis with the M60 shown in an earlier episode's cold opening is not only because Uncle Jack killed Hank, but because they took most of his money. Whether or not Jesse will be freed from his enslavement remains to be seen.

And yes, Mad Men is also splitting its final season into two parts like Breaking Bad. The first part is airing next year and they will finish up in 2015. I understand why they're doing this from a marketing standpoint (it's been massively successful now with BB), but as a long-time fan of Mad Men, it kind of pisses me off. I'd prefer not to wait a year to see the final episodes!

personally, i'd like to jesse die as walt(although he obviously is no saint here) went out of his way to keep the guy alive many times with gus, tuco(or whoever that guy was in the first season), and several others. he even turned down the suggestion from saul to whack him, even though he knew that pretty much always left it open for him to be killed. jesse going to the DEA was the ultimate rat move. wallt left him with money he didn't have to give him and his life, can't really ask for much more after you have been in the drug game.

i am not even that down on the neo nazis. they took his money, but they could have left him with nothing and killed him as well.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:19 am

gregpolard wrote:Walt's ego has always been his downfall. I will have more thoughts later....I don't know how they're going to wrap everything up with one more episode but hey.

in some ways, but i see his fatal flaw as his loyalty and love to friends and family, which is ultimately the only thing left about him that is sympathetic. he let hank and jesse live through repeated situations when it would have been easier to kill them.
yourenotevil

Next

Return to daghouse