kickstealer for Going Underground 3rd ed.

kickstealer for Going Underground 3rd ed.

Postby obik » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:49 pm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/134 ... -1979-1989

A friend of mine is raising money to print the third edition of his book, Going Underground:American Punk 1979-1989. It's good look at the history and pre-history of American hardcore, as anyone who owns the first or second edition will tell you. It's kinda like the anti-Stephen Blush. George says the third edition is significantly revised and expanded, to the point where it might as well be a new book.

I've thrown in my thirty shekels.

So...let the pissing and moaning commence, since George should clearly just wave his magic wand and make $15,000 appear in his bank account, rather than ask for outside support.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Re: kickstealer for Going Underground 3rd ed.

Postby john stabb » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:58 pm

If I could support my friend George financially I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unemployment & debt (as well as trying to pay the rent in time!) His book is so superior to certain ones out there that I'll not name. Oh, okay ... AMERICAN HARDCORE for instance :!: :mrgreen: If you can support Going Underground in any way, you shall be helping a far superior Punk book. 8-)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:03 pm

john stabb wrote:If I could support my friend George financially I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unemployment & debt (as well as trying to pay the rent in time!) His book is so superior to certain ones out there that I'll not name. Oh, okay ... AMERICAN HARDCORE for instance :!: :mrgreen: If you can support Going Underground in any way, you shall be helping a far superior Punk book. 8-)

I agree completely. I don't know if I ever told you this, John, but I bought a copy of the book from him back in 2007 when he was using the proceeds for your medical bills. I'd only met you once at that point as it was a year before I joined this board and obviously I'm a fan, but more to the point, I was horrified by the incident, so it was for a good cause and I got a good book out of it. And don't get me started on American Hardcore!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby wALLton » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:09 am

JGJR wrote:I don't know if I ever told you this, John, but I bought a copy of the book from him back in 2007 when he was using the proceeds for your medical bills.

That's how I got my copy of "Dance of Days", but from Mark Anderson and Mark Jenkins when they were selling on ebay to raise funds. At least I think it was directly from them, as they had both signed it and there was a quote about John being the "clown prince of DC hardcore", ha-ha. :D

I'm pretty sure I have one of the earlier editions of George's book, but will have to check. Memory... failing...
wALLton

Postby obik » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:42 am

wALLton wrote:
JGJR wrote:I don't know if I ever told you this, John, but I bought a copy of the book from him back in 2007 when he was using the proceeds for your medical bills.

That's how I got my copy of "Dance of Days", but from Mark Anderson and Mark Jenkins when they were selling on ebay to raise funds. At least I think it was directly from them, as they had both signed it and there was a quote about John being the "clown prince of DC hardcore", ha-ha. :D

I'm pretty sure I have one of the earlier editions of George's book, but will have to check. Memory... failing...

If you bought it on ebay, you bought it from me. The Marks donated a handful of signed copies of DoD, and George sent some copies of Going Underground 2nd ed.

Which means I know where you live.

So you'd better be nice to me.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby wALLton » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:29 am

obik wrote:
wALLton wrote:

If you bought it on ebay, you bought it from me. The Marks donated a handful of signed copies of DoD, and George sent some copies of Going Underground 2nd ed.

Which means I know where you live.

So you'd better be nice to me.

I believe I've moved since then. :twisted:
wALLton

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 am

I definitely want to check this book out.

I don't mind American Hardcore as a book. I read it every time I take my kids to Barnes and Noble while they're playing with Legos. I don't think I'd pay for it though!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:51 am

gregpolard wrote:I definitely want to check this book out.

I don't mind American Hardcore as a book. I read it every time I take my kids to Barnes and Noble while they're playing with Legos. I don't think I'd pay for it though!

i appreciated AHC for what it was, but blush made a lot of sweeping generalizations and remarks about bands he thought were not up to his standards. i actually read the revised edition where he published that raybeez died of pneumonia due to complications from AIDS. i don't think anyone read the revised edition, so this seemed to fly under the nyhc community wire. i actually emailed him asking if he had any proof, or had seen the medical records. his response was honest-he said something to the effect of "those guys crashed on my couch and i knew them personally." he said he did not interview any doctors or see any medical records. in my eyes, he should not be reporting that kind of stuff as fact without any hard evidence to back it up. made me think about anything else he claimed to know in that book.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:15 am

yourenotevil wrote:

i appreciated AHC for what it was, but blush made a lot of sweeping generalizations and remarks about bands he thought were not up to his standards. i actually read the revised edition where he published that raybeez died of pneumonia due to complications from AIDS. i don't think anyone read the revised edition, so this seemed to fly under the nyhc community wire. i actually emailed him asking if he had any proof, or had seen the medical records. his response was honest-he said something to the effect of "those guys crashed on my couch and i knew them personally." he said he did not interview any doctors or see any medical records. in my eyes, he should not be reporting that kind of stuff as fact without any hard evidence to back it up. made me think about anything else he claimed to know in that book.

Oh wow, I didn't catch that! re: Raybeez. I know that was the rumor but again, was just a rumor.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:12 pm

You shouldn't. That guy couldn't even get Jack's real name right, for example, and there were many other glaring errors. Plus, I agree with much of what YNE wrote, too.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm pretty sure I still have my copy. I'll trade you for the 33 1/3 Big Star book.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:27 pm

version sound wrote:

I'm pretty sure I still have my copy. I'll trade you for the 33 1/3 Big Star book.

Rats! I would but sold it to the local record shop last year.
gregpolard

Postby john stabb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:08 pm

That is really heartfelt to hear, JGJR. :( :P . You definitely got a great book :!:

YNE, that sounds like Blush, alright. The guy does no research & slanders people who he hung out with ... friends or not. And people still think it's a good representation of what happened in the 80's punk/hardcore era?????? :roll: Like the X-files - The Truth is out there. Just not in a Steven Blush project.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby lewdd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:52 pm

Obik was cool too. he loved flac before its time
lewdd

Return to daghouse