Buyer Beware

Buyer Beware

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:06 am

The NINE DOLLAR Sleepers 7" on Superior Viaduct does not come with a download.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Buyer Beware

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am

i have to say(again) that any label that does have a dl code in this day and age(esp one charging 6 or more for a seven inch) is just not going to get my business until they get their shit together. it doesn't cost that much to put a code in. i have better things to do than track down a rip of the shit i just bought, esp if you have to ask the label or band for it. a good example of how a small label can run its operation-a389 records out of baltimore. it is esssentially a one man operation, and even when the owner was in a band full time it still ran smoothly as far as mailorder went. last year he put everything he had ever released up on a bandcamp for free stream and you buy mp3s if the record was out of print. more importantly, everything he releases come with a DL code in 320k. if some one man hardcore label can do it, why can't some posh NYC streetwear company do the same that is dabbling in releasing hardcore eps? or the labels like TKO?
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:15 am

Neither do the Devo LPs. I do them all the time now. I found a DIY guy who hosts an unlimited size with unlimited codes for $6 and he even supplies the pdfs ready to print. There's really no excuse not to.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 am

Welly wrote:Neither do the Devo LPs. I do them all the time now. I found a DIY guy who hosts an unlimited size with unlimited codes for $6 and he even supplies the pdfs ready to print. There's really no excuse not to.

i guess in the end, it is kind of insulting to the customer. if you buy an lp from any genre, you are looking at close to 18 or 20 bucks when you throw the shipping in(and that is just for domestic orders). i can't fathom a nice laid out reissue or new record that took someone a lot of time and they just didn't have the forethought to give you a digital version as well. i have contacted some labels before and they told me the cd is coming out on another label, so that is why they didn't do it(like the PI reissues with TKO, and southern lord did the cds). so they expect me to fork out another 15 bucks for a cd? no way. there are also some labels that have directed me to their download page(to pay for a DL) after they know i have bought the record. it just gets ridiculous.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:24 am

The Sleepers LP did, so I just assumed. The main reason I bought it was to get MP3s from the master tapes rather than from a vinyl rip. I wrote to the label, and they were like "nope, no download". I'm not buying anything else from them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:25 am

Well I didn't do it for the int'l comp I did and I had a load of complaints so threw it on free with the code for our EP last issue. At the time I'd sorted 20 bands from around the world, mag inside, and had to mail 'em all over, so I didn't need the headache. This was before I found this punk download guy. US people doing the same charge $25+
Welly

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:29 am

Welly wrote:Well I didn't do it for the int'l comp I did and I had a load of complaints so threw it on free with the code for our EP last issue. At the time I'd sorted 20 bands from around the world, mag inside, and had to mail 'em all over, so I didn't need the headache. This was before I found this punk download guy. US people doing the same charge $25+

Speaking of...you never sent me a code. What is this, a Kickstarter project?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 am

version sound wrote:
Welly wrote:Well I didn't do it for the int'l comp I did and I had a load of complaints so threw it on free with the code for our EP last issue. At the time I'd sorted 20 bands from around the world, mag inside, and had to mail 'em all over, so I didn't need the headache. This was before I found this punk download guy. US people doing the same charge $25+

Did you get the last issue with the SF EP?
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 am

well, i would not trip on a zine as much, but i would say throw it up on a bandcamp or something so people could stream it. a label, however has no fucking excuse.
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:34 am

yourenotevil wrote:

well, i would not trip on a zine as much, but i would say throw it up on a bandcamp or something so people could stream it. a label, however has no fucking excuse.

Well it's a zine AND a label now, seeing as I've done 7 releases on it. I try to put out the highest quality, so of course, people expect it now. Bandcamp - nah... if people want to hear it, buy the fucking thing. Everyone's fuckin' entitled nowadays huh?
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:37 am

Welly wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Well it's a zine AND a label now, seeing as I've done 7 releases on it. I try to put out the highest quality, so of course, people expect it now. Bandcamp - nah... if people want to hear it, buy the fucking thing. Everyone's fuckin' entitled nowadays huh?

i mean so people that bought it can hear it, since i am guessing it was a limited run. that's what a389 does for the old releases, and he only streams a few tracks from brand new ones so you can't hear the whole thing. seems to work.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 am

Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:

Yup. IIRC, the DL code didn't work.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:50 am

version sound wrote:
Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:

Yup. IIRC, the DL code didn't work.

Really? Well seeing as I'm a sack of shit, I'll send you another. Be sure to switch your brain on when typing in the code. :)
Welly

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:16 pm

I've always found you to be fairly fine and upstanding. The code you sent didn't work on my phone (said my DL was starting, but it didn't). Could very well be my phone. I'll give it a shot on my laptop tonight.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:21 pm

So the new DL didn't work? Had some teething problems, but no complaints for ages. The problem is it's a big file as it's 24 track in total. DL'ing it on your phone is probably not a good idea. Only fairly eh?
Welly

Postby Knutsen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:24 pm

I never use the download code. I got the record and a good stereo set.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:29 pm

Knutsen wrote:I never use the download code. I got the record and a good stereo set.

if you're like me, i didn't have the space to properly access my vinyl, even though i had a good stereo. i would usually listen to the record when i got it and rely on the mp3s the rest of the time. i think that is how most people function these days.
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Mp3's are handy for listening to in the car,or the kitchen or wherever there is no record player.

I was very disappointed there were no downloads with the Hardcore Devo records. At least I had an old cd of vol 2,but the new version has a few extras.
Gary

Postby MXV » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 pm

I too find it insulting when an expensive release or reissue doesn't come with a download code. There's really no excuse for not having it, especially if you charge high end prices like 20 dollar LPs and 10 dollar 7"s. I don't play mp3s at home but I drive a lot and want those songs on my iPod too without having to hunt them down or record my own.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Knutsen wrote:I never use the download code. I got the record and a good stereo set.

Me too, but I also have a three year old and 2-3 hours of commuting every day, which leaves me with zero time to actually listen to records.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Welly wrote:So the new DL didn't work? Had some teething problems, but no complaints for ages. The problem is it's a big file as it's 24 track in total. DL'ing it on your phone is probably not a good idea. Only fairly eh?

I don't have problems downloading big files, but on occasion the download doesn't want to start in the first place. Like I said, I'll try the laptop, because there's a good chance the problem is with the phone, not the code.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Hope so. If it doesn't work for you this time, I'll upload it myself and send you a link.

Stuff I have on vinyl, I rarely use the code, and never listen to it on mp3, just on the vinyl. Stuff I have on mp3 is for ipod in work pretty much only. Usually the very latest stuff from CD or old old classics.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Welly wrote:old old classics.

got to have that exploited and ripcord on there!
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:08 pm

yourenotevil wrote:

Ripcord is a vinyl band, no mp3.

I do not own this 'Exploited' you speak of in any form, neither have I ever sniffed glue.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Welly wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Ripcord is a vinyl band, no mp3.

I do not own this 'Exploited' you speak of in any form, neither have I ever sniffed glue.

it was a joke, don't you despise all of that good english fastcore stuff?
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:54 pm

The Exploited are my Skrewdriver. I know they're idiots, but that doesn't stop me from liking Troops of Tomorrow and Let's Start a War.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Those Naked Raygun Riot Fest 7"s are a ripoff.

2 songs. $10 plus $5 shipping (at least) and no DL code.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Bill » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:09 pm

"The die hards will pay it and buy the iTunes download."
Bill

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Welly wrote:Neither do the Devo LPs. I do them all the time now. I found a DIY guy who hosts an unlimited size with unlimited codes for $6 and he even supplies the pdfs ready to print. There's really no excuse not to.

Ugh and those things retail for $20 or so here. I'd still love to own them, though I have owned the CDs since the '90s, as that's some of my favorite Devo stuff ever.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:06 am

Bill wrote:"The die hards will pay it and buy the iTunes download."

Is that what Riot Fest guy said? Because when I ordered the first one, it DID come with a download. So I begrudgingly ordered the second one. At the time I got it, I did not have a turntable so I was assuming it came with a DL code as the first one did. When I received it without I emailed RF and he basically said the same thing as the quote you put above. "This one doesn't have a DL but you can buy on iTunes!"
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Bill » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:11 am

Yup. There was a price increase between the first and second and less stuff with it. I fought against it.
Bill

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:22 am

Bill wrote:Yup. There was a price increase between the first and second and less stuff with it. I fought against it.

It's pretty unreal, honestly. But people (myself included) still paid it so I guess they win. Although I did not pay for the 3rd one...learned my lesson.
gregpolard

Postby Bill » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Yup. I was never offered a third one, or a second one for that matter but I took one from the office one day when I was picking up a check.
Bill

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:28 pm

Bill wrote:Yup. I was never offered a third one, or a second one for that matter but I took one from the office one day when I was picking up a check.

Good! That's ridiculous.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:15 am

gregpolard wrote:Those Naked Raygun Riot Fest 7"s are a ripoff.

Shit like that is why a USB turntable and/or Spotify is useful. But yeah, I agree, though I bought them anyway. :oops:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:21 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Those Naked Raygun Riot Fest 7"s are a ripoff.

Shit like that is why a USB turntable and/or Spotify is useful. But yeah, I agree, though I bought them anyway. :oops:

i just bought the altercation ep from the label for 7.40. the shipping was 5 bucks and there is no download code, but i knew that going in. i also got a cd for 5 bucks so it offest the shitty shipping price in my mind, but i am done with labels that charge that much. this happened to have really awesome packaging and that is one of the demos that really deserved to be put to vinyl out all of the nyhc shit that gets hyped to death. actually, i think i am out of the record game altogether since 17 for an lp and 7 or 8 bucks for an ep seems to be the way things are going, and most ppl are too dumb to give me a download code when i buy a record. fuck it.
yourenotevil

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:32 pm

I completely stopped buying records on the Hydrahead label because they were ridiculously overpriced and never even came with download codes. Despite my really liking a lot of what they put out, their prices got downright insulting like 20 dollars for a 12" EP plus another 6-8 for shipping.
MXV

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:54 pm

MXV wrote:I completely stopped buying records on the Hydrahead label because they were ridiculously overpriced and never even came with download codes. Despite my really liking a lot of what they put out, their prices got downright insulting like 20 dollars for a 12" EP plus another 6-8 for shipping.

those guys put themselves out of business. if you bought items from the store the part owner of hydra head owned(i think it was called vacation vinyl in LA) that were actually on HH, he was usually charging a dollar or two more than the actual label was online. that place was elitist and catered to the hipster crowd, which is what i equate the label with pretty much.
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:22 pm

version sound wrote:
Welly wrote:So the new DL didn't work? Had some teething problems, but no complaints for ages. The problem is it's a big file as it's 24 track in total. DL'ing it on your phone is probably not a good idea. Only fairly eh?

I don't have problems downloading big files, but on occasion the download doesn't want to start in the first place. Like I said, I'll try the laptop, because there's a good chance the problem is with the phone, not the code.

You sort this? Cuz I'd rather sort it now than wait six months for you to claim I didn't send you the link and my codes don't work. :)
Welly

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:

You sort this? Cuz I'd rather sort it now than wait six months for you to claim I didn't send you the link and my codes don't work. :)

Not yet. For the record, I never complained, you asked me about it, I tried the code and it didn't work, which I told you. You said you'd send a new one, then obviously forgot. I didn't mention it until it came up in this thread because it wasn't exactly a top priority. I'm still not complaining and never intended it to be interpreted as calling you out in any way. I'm busy, you're busy. Shit happens. I never had any worries that you weren't good for it. I'll try the new one tonight...hopefully.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:47 pm

I didn't ask you, you brought it up. No biggie, I was joking.
Welly

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Is YNE the whiniest music listener of all time? I think possibly yes.
SamDBL

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Welly wrote:I didn't ask you, you brought it up. No biggie, I was joking.

I'm referring to our initial conversation about the first code, which was on Facebook, IIRC.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm

SamDBL wrote:Is YNE the whiniest music listener of all time? I think possibly yes.

yes. His parent's plopped him down in front of cro-mags records and raised him wrong.
MXV

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:05 pm

MXV wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Is YNE the whiniest music listener of all time? I think possibly yes.

yes. His parent's plopped him down in front of cro-mags records and raised him wrong.

i find it funny you will agree with me or respond to my posts with civility and then take shots at me only when someone else does. talk about being raised wrong. and i have seen you bitch about plenty of stuff on here.
yourenotevil

Postby MXV » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:52 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
MXV wrote:

i find it funny you will agree with me or respond to my posts with civility and then take shots at me only when someone else does. talk about being raised wrong. and i have seen you bitch about plenty of stuff on here.

Lighten up Harley. When it comes to comedy I'm an equal opportunity offender. I guess I should have put the little happy face after my comment so you wouldn't have taken it so seriously.

I do bitch about plenty, there's no denying that. And I will probably agree with you on some things in the future too. Wait I just did. See, all better :)
MXV

Return to daghouse