Kickstarter

Re: Kickstarter

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:21 am

SamDBL wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159 ... -musicians

here is what i am talking about, this guy wanted 50k to record an album when previously he had spent 1300 to record one. this is one of the many things i have posted, if you are actually reading them. there was a vice article about it too. you are going to keep dissecting every one of my sentences, so i am out. i already said it before,we don't agree and don't have to. if you want to keep needling away go for it, since that is obviously your style and no one is right but you. other people who posted in this thread obviously remembered who you were and chose not to defend their position with you further, for good reason.

I didn't click the link, but if someone wants to ask people for a million dollars on kickstarter, so what? They won't get it if they haven't developed the fanbase to give them that. We can all laugh at their ridiculous expectations, sure. But what does that have to do with the actual system we're debating? Nothing at all. That's like someone saying the entire genre of punk sucks because Sum41 exists. Like I've said over, and over, and over, but you've been too thick to let it sink in... we're not debating whether or not kickstarter has fallibility. My only issue with what you've said is that you think it's inherently wrong, or less earnest for a band to put up a kickstarter campaign no matter what the specifics are because you think it's a fundamentally flawed idea that somehow automatically cheapens a musicians intentions. You keep bringing up structural issues, which is fine. But what I'm getting from you is that besides this, you are offended by the very notion of a band putting out a call to fans for preorders. It's idiotic. I'm dissecting every sentence you say because you keep muddying your argument with dumb shit like "Here's a link of someone asking for more money than they'll get!So there!". :lol: I think you're hilarious, dude. I don't really remember you. But I'm already positive you're one of the reasons I barely post here.

yeah, b/c i was always arguing against that mainly, not the pre order thing. i was trying to get you to see this is more of the problem i have with kickstarter, not the fucking pre order thing. i think you need some reading comprehension skills. hey , if you want to not post here, be my guest. read the actual links, they are getting the money most of the time. or you can keep enjoying the sound of your own voice, which i have the feeling is your M.O.
Last edited by yourenotevil on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:23 am

I just clicked the link. Looks like those guys are doing pretty well. I think it's fucking great. They were able to gather enough support through whatever it is they've done to get people to support them. I know that yne thinks everyone was forced to give at gunpoint and/or the band just lucked into a bunch of people that dislike them that were guilted into giving... but my theory is that there were supporters of this project because they like what they've done before, or something. Call me crazy. In any case, I love that people like yne get their panties in a wad when an artist manages to garner support. It makes my day.
SamDBL

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:25 am

SamDBL wrote:I just clicked the link. Looks like those guys are doing pretty well. I think it's fucking great. They were able to gather enough support through whatever it is they've done to get people to support them. I know that yne thinks everyone was forced to give at gunpoint and/or the band just lucked into a bunch of people that dislike them that were guilted into giving... but my theory is that there were supporters of this project because they like what they've done before, or something. Call me crazy. In any case, I love that people like yne get their panties in a wad when an artist manages to garner support. It makes my day.

i never said that, either. to me it comes down to pride, which is something you don't seem to value that much. carry on.
yourenotevil

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 am

yourenotevil wrote:

yeah, b/c i was always arguing against that mainly, not the pre order thing. i was trying to get you to see this is more of the problem i have with kickstarter, not the fucking pre order thing.

You've said over, and over, and over that selling a product before it's manufacture is not a pre-order, and that you have a problem with this. Also, that the entire idea of bands selling something online in this fashion is a short cut to hard work and losing money, which is what they should expect to be doing. I have no problem with you back peddling since it was a really dumb argument to begin with. But let's just be clear for the record:
You have not fundamental problem with the notion of a funding platform like kickstarter besides the obvious tangible problems of such a system, like late deliveries and not knowing how everything is spent. And that a band that sells cds online is the same difference as a band that takes preorders and manufactures the cd with the funds, ideologically.
Because other than that, I don't really give a shit if you think a band is crazy for asking for more money than they'll probably get. I think you're wrong about the above. And I think you're silly as hell for getting bent out of shape if a band does meet their goal.

hey , if you want to not post here, be my guest. read the actual links, they are getting the money most of the time. or you can keep enjoying the sound of your own voice, which i have the feeling is your M.O.

a) I think I'll post here for awhile, thanks. Particularly to hound you. So enjoy the ride.
b) So what if they're getting money? Why would that bother me? If a band asks for 3 trillion dollars and then actually gets it, it's because they have developed enough fans to do so. Not because people are 'tricked' or forced into giving to them.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:35 am

yourenotevil wrote:
SamDBL wrote:I just clicked the link. Looks like those guys are doing pretty well. I think it's fucking great. They were able to gather enough support through whatever it is they've done to get people to support them. I know that yne thinks everyone was forced to give at gunpoint and/or the band just lucked into a bunch of people that dislike them that were guilted into giving... but my theory is that there were supporters of this project because they like what they've done before, or something. Call me crazy. In any case, I love that people like yne get their panties in a wad when an artist manages to garner support. It makes my day.

i never said that, either. to me it comes down to pride, which is something you don't seem to value that much. carry on.

You're right in that I don't value your moronic notion of pride that hinges on something like whether you take pre-orders for goods & services or not.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:36 am

"Bands that sell things to willing fans they've cultivated have no pride." :lol:
SamDBL

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:46 am

SamDBL wrote:"Bands that sell things to willing fans they've cultivated have no pride." :lol:

you can "hound" me all you want, i'm not going to address you in further threads. if you think you are riling me up, think again. this is the internet and a stupid fucking message board, so keep posting away if you think i take any of this with anything but a grain of salt. you are choosing what you want to hear from what i am saying. most people would just accept it when someone says, we don't need to agree, and move on. as for pride, you have stated you would be comfortable asking your fans to help not only finance your record but pay for your touring costs. i think that is lame. if and when DBL does a kickstarter, we'll see what the verdict is. if people want to pay your way, i don't really care either way. this was a topic brought up on a message board and i chimed in with my two cents, as did you. i think you would honestly go back and forth all day if someone was willing to indulge you. yeah, i think you are a little thick, and you can think the same of me, but i am not going to take anything personally and if you did, so be it.
yourenotevil

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:51 am

Fans have been paying for records and touring costs since the dawn of time. The only difference is that they paid on the back end instead of the front end. Now there's another option. I'm sorry that offends your delicate wittle heart so much.
SamDBL

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:55 am

SamDBL wrote:Fans have been paying for records and touring costs since the dawn of time. I'm sorry that fact offends your delicate little heart so much.

yeah out of what they earn from shows and selling merch, no shit. now bands are asking you to do that and donate money so they can tour. see the difference here? i guess not. when SOIA runs a kickstarter so they can tour and record, i'll let you know as hell will be freezing over. i like how you changed little heart to wittle heart in the time i responded to your last post. that cuts deep.
yourenotevil

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:10 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Fans have been paying for records and touring costs since the dawn of time. I'm sorry that fact offends your delicate little heart so much.

yeah out of what they earn from shows and selling merch, no shit. now bands are asking you to do that and donate money so they can tour. see the difference here? i guess not. when SOIA runs a kickstarter so they can tour and record, i'll let you know as hell will be freezing over. i like how you changed little heart to wittle heart in the time i responded to your last post. that cuts deep.

I'm too tired to explain economics to you. But ok, so cut out touring for the hypothetical argument here since you're having trouble focusing and just confirm or deny the goddamn thing I've asked five times already:
You have no problem, ideologically, with a band asking for funds up front for a record from people that typically buy their records anyhow, and no one is being forced to do anything. Keeping in mind that late delivery times, etc, do not count as ideology.
SamDBL

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:13 pm

World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:18 pm

SamDBL wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

I'm too tired to explain economics to you. But ok, so cut out touring for the hypothetical argument here since you're having trouble focusing and just confirm or deny the goddamn thing I've asked five times already:
You have no problem, ideologically, with a band asking for funds up front for a record from people that typically buy their records anyhow, and no one is being forced to do anything. Keeping in mind that late delivery times, etc, do not count as ideology.

i have already answered this several times- i don't have a problem with it, but i wouldn't do it myself or send money to said band asking for it.. i even gave you an example of a project i was working on where i said i would not ask for money to get the project done in a pre order fashion. i think that is the best way i can answer it. you even said you haven't seen a lot of kickstarter projects yourself. i have yet to see one where a band is saying, donate 30 bucks and you will get our cd and a ticket to our show when we come to your town. you only get both of those things if you are donating a couple hundred dollars, which is of course way more than you would ever pay if you just bought the actual items. 90 percent of the bands i see are asking for a large amount of money and not even saying they are going to end up touring near you. they have a vague list of things they need, and if you donate a large amount of money you get a t shirt, a song written to you and a digital and physical copy of the album.see the difference here?
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:19 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

touche.
yourenotevil

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:23 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
i have already answered this several times- i don't have a problem with it, but i wouldn't do it myself or send money to said band asking for it.. i even gave you an example of a project i was working on where i said i would not ask for money to get the project done in a pre order fashion.

No. What you've said, numerous times, is that asking for funds before the record is manufactured is not an actual presale. You've also said that it's a lack of pride that a band would stoop so low to do such a thing. And that it's a 'short cut', bands that practice it have a sense of entitlement, and that they should, instead, just be 'good enough' to get on a label or risk their own money on projections rather than do a campaign with solid numbers. All of this signifies to me that you have a problem with it, regardless of your back peddling now. But hey, I ain't complaining.
SamDBL

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 pm

SamDBL wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
i have already answered this several times- i don't have a problem with it, but i wouldn't do it myself or send money to said band asking for it.. i even gave you an example of a project i was working on where i said i would not ask for money to get the project done in a pre order fashion.

No. What you've said, numerous times, is that asking for funds before the record is manufactured is not an actual presale. You've also said that it's a lack of pride that a band would stoop so low to do such a thing. And that it's a 'short cut', bands that practice it have a sense of entitlement, and that they should, instead, just be 'good enough' to get on a label or risk their own money on projections rather than do a campaign with solid numbers. All of this signifies to me that you have a problem with it, regardless of your back peddling now. But hey, I ain't complaining.

i said if you made good music, people would come to your shows, word would spread, , not that you would have to "be good enough." yeah, i would lose respect for a band if they wanted me to help fund their tour costs. you seem to have the problem with the potential risk of losing any money, that is part of the game in music, esp in punk rock. if you need to have everything in life written out for you in a guaranteed contract before you are willing to risk anything or put in any time and effort without the possibility of monetary compensation, then get a fucking office job or start a cover band.
yourenotevil

Postby James » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:38 pm

This wasn't done through kickstarter, but same idea. What's cool about this is that these guys aren't only trying to raise money to put out this documentary about the Iron Sheik, but also for his much needed surgery. I hope they can make it happen. You'd think Vince would foot the bill for the guy who helped put Hulk Hogan over.

Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby MXV » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:35 pm

What I find most laughable about this entire debate is yournotevil's using SOIA as an example of a good band.

On the subject of SOIA they paid for their recording and tour out of their advance money when they were on a major label (and they likely never recouped) so since they didn't earn that money buy selling merch and playing shows, aren't they somehow wrong based on your last 25 posts? Why do they get a pass?
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby MXV » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:43 pm

James wrote:This wasn't done through kickstarter, but same idea. What's cool about this is that these guys aren't only trying to raise money to put out this documentary about the Iron Sheik, but also for his much needed surgery. I hope they can make it happen. You'd think Vince would foot the bill for the guy who helped put Hulk Hogan over.

This is pretty sad and what is more sad is that it isn't a unique story. A lot of guys from that era never saved their money and partied their asses off and blew all their money on drugs. They thought those paydays would last forever and never planned for the future. Sheik pissed away most of his money on drugs and then the money stopped rolling in as he was phased out of the business. Jake the Snake was broke too having spent all his money on crack and now finally being clean was doing indy shows to raise money for a much needed shoulder surgery. You'd think that Vince would foot the bill for these legends who literally killed themselves and broke themselves to make him money but it seems his stance is to only offer to pay for rehab for any past employees who have drug problems.

Jimmy Snuka is another guy who is broke which is sad because he was one of the greatest of all time and was a household name for years.

I hope in the case of Sheik that they raise the money and get him the surgery he needs. It is pretty ridiculous that even today the wrestlers aren't given health insurance by the big two feds (WWE/TNA) and they are still considered independent contractors, even though they sign a contract that prevents them from working for anyone else for that period of time which kinda negates the whole independent contractor status.
MXV

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:05 pm

MXV wrote:What I find most laughable about this entire debate is yournotevil's using SOIA as an example of a good band.

On the subject of SOIA they paid for their recording and tour out of their advance money when they were on a major label (and they likely never recouped) so since they didn't earn that money buy selling merch and playing shows, aren't they somehow wrong based on your last 25 posts? Why do they get a pass?

i was using them as an example of a band that constantly toured and recorded, so they were able to make a living off of their music by doing so. they put in work and got signed to major. every band on a major enjoys a bit of up front money like that. i am sure SOIA have been at the point where they were broke, so they prolly got on the road and did another tour. it seems a lot of bands want the luxury of being able to have a tour bus without willing to commit to being a full time band. you don't get one without the other.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:05 pm

I am creating a Kickstarter in order to have this thread locked.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:08 pm

gregpolard wrote:I am creating a Kickstarter in order to have this thread locked.

i'll send you a discharge cd and we'll call it even.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I am creating a Kickstarter in order to have this thread locked.

i'll send you a discharge cd and we'll call it even.

What's a cd?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i said if you made good music, people would come to your shows, word would spread,

Totally idealistic and unrealistic thing to say, but ok. I'd expect someone that's a fan of underground music to konw that this is almost the exact opposit of the truth the majority of the time.

yeah, i would lose respect for a band if they wanted me to help fund their tour costs.

Yeah, but I just excluded that from the argument. I think you're afraid to say what you've already implied... that you lose respect for bands that do direct presales because you don't consider taking orders for something not yet manufactured to be presales and anyway presales are too convenient. I'd be embarrassed to reiterate that, too.

you seem to have the problem with the potential risk of losing any money, that is part of the game in music, esp in punk rock.

You want it to be, sure. But that's not always the case. In any case, that's not what this argument is about. You think that taking preorders from people that would be buying your material anyway is somehow unfairly manufacturing revenue. It's not. It's like someone insisting that you should walk 20 miles to work instead of drive, or else your integrity is at on the line.

if you need to have everything in life written out for you in a guaranteed contract before you are willing to risk anything or put in any time and effort without the possibility of monetary compensation, then get a fucking office job or start a cover band.

But kickstarter only alleviates a risk in that you see in black and white how many people want to buy your record. It doesn't alleviate risk by giving you money that has appeared out of thin air like you seem to think. Anyhow, keep repeating the same inane 'rules' you have arbitrarily made up about what the 'punk rock music biz' consists of. It's a good way to keep me laughing while I wait for you to address the actual argument at hand.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:25 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i was using them as an example of a band that constantly toured and recorded, so they were able to make a living off of their music by doing so. they put in work and got signed to major. every band on a major enjoys a bit of up front money like that.

Here we go again with the 'work your ass off to get on a major label!'. Jesus. You sound like Brett Michaels circa 1987.

it seems a lot of bands want the luxury of being able to have a tour bus without willing to commit to being a full time band. you don't get one without the other.

Yourenotevil has spoken! :lol:
SamDBL

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:31 pm

SamDBL wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:i said if you made good music, people would come to your shows, word would spread,

Totally idealistic and unrealistic thing to say, but ok. I'd expect someone that's a fan of underground music to konw that this is almost the exact opposit of the truth the majority of the time.

yeah, i would lose respect for a band if they wanted me to help fund their tour costs.

Yeah, but I just excluded that from the argument. I think you're afraid to say what you've already implied... that you lose respect for bands that do direct presales because you don't consider taking orders for something not yet manufactured to be presales and anyway presales are too convenient. I'd be embarrassed to reiterate that, too.

you seem to have the problem with the potential risk of losing any money, that is part of the game in music, esp in punk rock.

You want it to be, sure. But that's not always the case. In any case, that's not what this argument is about. You think that taking preorders from people that would be buying your material anyway is somehow unfairly manufacturing revenue. It's not. It's like someone insisting that you should walk 20 miles to work instead of drive, or else your integrity is at on the line.

if you need to have everything in life written out for you in a guaranteed contract before you are willing to risk anything or put in any time and effort without the possibility of monetary compensation, then get a fucking office job or start a cover band.

But kickstarter only alleviates a risk in that you see in black and white how many people want to buy your record. It doesn't alleviate risk by giving you money that has appeared out of thin air like you seem to think. Anyhow, keep repeating the same inane 'rules' you have arbitrarily made up about what the 'punk rock music biz' consists of. It's a good way to keep me laughing while I wait for you to address the actual argument at hand.

keep laughing. i can type anything and you would come back with some bullet point argument. i've given every chance to just end this and you keep on blathering away. i can't tell if this is your style or if you are just thick as all get out. either way, i'm bored. it's friday night, go out and have some fun, that is what i am about to do. or get off the computer at least.
yourenotevil

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:38 pm

yourenotevil wrote:keep laughing.

Don't mind if I do!

i can type anything and you would come back with some bullet point argument.

Well that's all I can do since you perpetually change the argument. Several times in every post, usually.

i've given every chance to just end this and you keep on blathering away.

No sir. It is I who have given you the chance.

i can't tell if this is your style or if you are just thick as all get out. either way, i'm bored. it's friday night, go out and have some fun, that is what i am about to do. or get off the computer at least.

This is what happens when I talk to holier than thou dillweeds that think because they've always been sucking the hind teet, the rest of the world should be forced to as well. To the point of attacking integrity and character if someone tries something different to get things done. Lucky for me, I don't get to deal with these sorts of sickening, purist weirdos anymore. So when I get a chance, I'm off to the races. I've said it before and I'll say it again... you think anything with a 'punk' or even music label on it has to be difficult and financially unrewarding. You'll deny it, but that's exactly what's happening here. To the point that you're now going to defend major labels and make illogical claims about getting payment from fans at one time instead of another is the same as a cash grabbing pyramid scheme perpetuated by evil musicians. It's warped.
I just got back from the Beach, btw.
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:02 pm

I would contribute to it. :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:45 pm

SamDBL wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
it seems a lot of bands want the luxury of being able to have a tour bus without willing to commit to being a full time band. you don't get one without the other.

Yourenotevil has spoken! :lol:

PS I'm still waiting to hear how Kickstarter circumvents this supposedly irrefutable law of the land. Whereas a band normally has to work diligently for a long period of time to be able to afford things like tour busses... any old half-assed, amateur idiot can put up a kickstarter campaign and have a tour bus handed to him without working at all.
What a gloriously idealistic world yne live in.
SamDBL

Postby obik » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 pm

http://www.daghouse.com/jacopo/viewtopic.php?t=25054

I've learned not to argue with YNE. He's clearly just Clash77's account when he's sober.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 pm

obik wrote:http://www.daghouse.com/jacopo/viewtopic.php?t=25054

I've learned not to argue with YNE. He's clearly just Clash77's account when he's sober.

The purist, hardcore/punk ethics stance mixed with "Just play out and develop a fanbase so an A&R guy from a major label will check you out like the Doors!" is about the weirdest damned thing I've seen in awhile. I wish someone would've just posted a link to that thread earlier as I can see everything I've said has been brought up 100x already.
SamDBL

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 pm

SamDBL wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:keep laughing.

Don't mind if I do!

i can type anything and you would come back with some bullet point argument.

Well that's all I can do since you perpetually change the argument. Several times in every post, usually.

i've given every chance to just end this and you keep on blathering away.

No sir. It is I who have given you the chance.

i can't tell if this is your style or if you are just thick as all get out. either way, i'm bored. it's friday night, go out and have some fun, that is what i am about to do. or get off the computer at least.

This is what happens when I talk to holier than thou dillweeds that think because they've always been sucking the hind teet, the rest of the world should be forced to as well. To the point of attacking integrity and character if someone tries something different to get things done. Lucky for me, I don't get to deal with these sorts of sickening, purist weirdos anymore. So when I get a chance, I'm off to the races. I've said it before and I'll say it again... you think anything with a 'punk' or even music label on it has to be difficult and financially unrewarding. You'll deny it, but that's exactly what's happening here. To the point that you're now going to defend major labels and make illogical claims about getting payment from fans at one time instead of another is the same as a cash grabbing pyramid scheme perpetuated by evil musicians. It's warped.
I just got back from the Beach, btw.

that's not what I am saying at all.what hind teet? you're a fucking idiot. i never said anything about music having to be financially unrewarding. if a band can make a living doing their music, that is awesome. if a band gets on a major, why would i care either way if they keep making the music they want? you are just twisting around everything i am saying, or not listening at all, or maybe both. i am trying to keep it civil and you go on some name calling rant. i've met some dipshits on here, and you take the grand prize. every rant you make on here turns out the same, remember the shawn bullshit? if this is how you get your kicks, you need to get out more.
Last edited by yourenotevil on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yourenotevil

Postby James » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Blah blah blah
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Haha. I just contributed to a kickstarter for the new Obituary album. That makes about 10 that I've come in contact with. The only one that wasn't to pay for the band's new record was Kevin Seconds with his van thing, or whatever, (but then I'm not some raving dipshit on a mission to fish for outlandish Kickstarter campaigns in order to fulfill my own prophecy). For a second I thought about putting up a comment that told the band to quit being such lazy, entitled bastards and that I'd pay for the record when I'm god damn good and ready. Then I was going to tell them that they should just get on a major label if they want their fuckin' record made. Then I was going to tell them that if they're unable to go 'full time pro', then they can suck my dick.
Then I remembered that actually I like the band and would like to purchase the record. Now I feel just terrible about letting the band have the 'easy' way out.
SamDBL

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Well, using the internet to pay/donate things that have yet to be created (while getting a finished product and/or getting something unique/personal as well) is still kinda new, so of course Kickstarter is going to have some faults/issues with accountability and everything, but overall I think it's a good thing that bands/people who might not be able to record/put out something can do it and I imagine it's just going to get better and I know there are other sites popping up. The thing I don't like is that I'm sure Kickstarter is taking a cut of the money, which sucks. I mean I get that they pay for the site and so forth, but like Ebay, just sitting back and raking in the cash for other's hard work.

Anyway, not to beat a dead horse, but Dave Smalley's thing was pretty fucking embarrassing overall. I think there should be accountability, yeah I just last week got a link to songs that were apparently funded/recorded by Kickstarter (when, I have no clue as it came with no pdf or anything). I'd never support anything Dave did using any sort of pre-paid format. On the other hand, I gave some money to an indie-folky type of singer and she did like 18 video updates and studio things that (as far as I know) were only for the Kickstarter people and it really gave a personal and intimate touch of the recording process for that record. So it really depends on the motives and intentions of the people using it, not sure how Kickstarter can screen or guess who is going to treat it like a rainy-day project or not.

That being said, I don't get why people are wasting their time/energy over getting mad/frustrated at it, you don't like/want to support it, don't visit links or the site? Seems kinda simple to me?

Don't be jelly when I get 5 Pixies books and you bitches get none!
FlexMyHead

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:52 pm

SamDBL wrote:Haha. I just contributed to a kickstarter for the new Obituary album.

Speaking of Obituary, were you at the show at their show in Ybor in June? I thought I saw you/your longish Prince Valiant haircut.
FlexMyHead

Postby SamDBL » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Nah I missed. I think I had a wedding or some shit to go to. They're at like $15000 now, btw. I was talking to the bassplayer and they're completely blown away and surprised.
SamDBL

Postby Dinko » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:20 am

If you don’t have a fan base that is interested in what you have (or are going) to offer, Kickstarter is just another forum for your self-portrayal, your media skills, or your readiness to boast or lie, or dwell on details that you might be making up as you brag along. It’s fuckin’ marketing. Me, I’ve grown sick of these talks (“my band is bigger than your band, sing it”), I’ve heard it in and in front of any rehearsal space I’ve ever had. I’ve heard it at pubs and concerts. I’ve heard it from friends & foes. With music, I proudly do what I do. I don’t have to explain it. I don’t want to. I'm presenting, but I do not make offers, and I don't have to meet demands. So I leave it to the "kids" (I hate the too oftenly derogative use of that) to become impressed by shiny words of good intentions. And bands with an already established fan base to utter just those.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:13 am

Dinko wrote:If you don’t have a fan base that is interested in what you have (or are going) to offer, Kickstarter is just another forum for your self-portrayal, your media skills, or your readiness to boast or lie, or dwell on details that you might be making up as you brag along.

Totally true. And yes, there are probably bands that have played three shows that no one has ever heard of who have a kickstarter campaign up for $80,000 with descriptions about how they're going to play stadiums with the funds. Who would take that seriously enough to get pissed off about it? I'd laugh at them just the same as I laughed at unrealistic big-hair bands in the 80's. Those types of campaigns have very little in common with ones from artists like Obituary or Scott Reynolds or whatever.
Last edited by SamDBL on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamDBL

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:23 am

Have their been any updates to the Scott Reynolds kickstarter album, now that you mentioned it? I know he was saying he scrapped what he had in favor of home recordings.
gregpolard

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:26 am

I know he's being very picky about it. He's still chipping away while simultaneously working on some Baron Von Thunderbolt stuff.
SamDBL

Postby MXV » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 am

SamDBL wrote:Haha. I just contributed to a kickstarter for the new Obituary album. That makes about 10 that I've come in contact with. The only one that wasn't to pay for the band's new record was Kevin Seconds with his van thing, or whatever, (but then I'm not some raving dipshit on a mission to fish for outlandish Kickstarter campaigns in order to fulfill my own prophecy). For a second I thought about putting up a comment that told the band to quit being such lazy, entitled bastards and that I'd pay for the record when I'm god damn good and ready. Then I was going to tell them that they should just get on a major label if they want their fuckin' record made. Then I was going to tell them that if they're unable to go 'full time pro', then they can suck my dick.
Then I remembered that actually I like the band and would like to purchase the record. Now I feel just terrible about letting the band have the 'easy' way out.

Did Kevin run out of all that money from the "family tree" gimmick? He should have plenty of money leftover to buy a van!

I'm pretty sure the Descendents have a tour bus when they play shows these days but they are not a full-time band. Explain this YNE!
MXV

Postby Pffft » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:11 am

I think they fly everywhere and use rented equipment
Pffft

Postby MXV » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Well then that's even more wrong. I mean they aren't a full time band! How dare they fly everywhere!
MXV

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:05 pm

MXV wrote: they aren't a full time band!

I'm offended that they dare to exist.
SamDBL

Previous

Return to daghouse