The MC5 Fully Evaluated

The MC5 Fully Evaluated

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:03 am

I started out ass-backwards with Back in the USA and High Time. My synopsis of both is: a few great songs and a lot of pseudo-revolutionary Sha Na Na. Smith and Kramer do both have exquisite tone on High Time, like some of the best classic rock guitar sounds I've ever heard.

After that, I finally got to Kick Out The Jams, which I honestly wasn't expecting to like much, but holy shite, what a great friggin' record. I noticed more than one riff that the Stooges later stole. This leaves me wondering what the fuck happened to them? Did they just run out of material? I think you could make one solid LP out of the second and third records.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: The MC5 Fully Evaluated

Postby obik » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:51 am

version sound wrote:After that, I finally got to Kick Out The Jams, which I honestly wasn't expecting to like much, but holy shite, what a great friggin' record. I noticed more than one riff that the Stooges later stole. This leaves me wondering what the fuck happened to them? Did they just run out of material?

Yes, they ran out of material and called that album "Back In The USA." Luckily they got back on track and managed an entire ellpee's worth of fantastic songs for High Time.

I think you could make one solid LP out of the second and third records.

Double LP, with a bonus 45 of the two or three decent songs of Back In The USA.

Didjalissentoo Thunder Express? I actually figgered you'd loathe Kick Out The Jams for the hippydippy factor and jamminess, but might've liked Thunder Express because it tightens up some of that material...
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:03 am

At risk of damaging my punker than fuck image, I have to admit that I looove hippy shit. Plus, they rock LAMF. I was just going over the original LPs. I'll get to the other stuff.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 am

i also think kick out the jams is the best one by far. the other two have good songs but the production is not quite right for their style.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:25 am

I don't understand going from free jazz revolutionaries to retro '50s rockers. It just seems so trad and square considering their reputation as proto-punk radicals.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:31 am

version sound wrote:I don't understand going from free jazz revolutionaries to retro '50s rockers. It just seems so trad and square considering their reputation as proto-punk radicals.

Lotsa people blame the two Johns: John Sinclair for getting locked up, and John Landau for "managing" the band into wholesome all-american-rock-n-roll.

Landau, in case you didn't know, is the man who would be responsible for Bruce Springsteen.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:41 pm

A lot of people think Back in the USA was also a response to Lester Bangs' harsh review of Kick Out the Jams in Rolling Stone. He accused them of being sloppy-borderline-train-wreck on that record and they decided to work extra hard to be as precise and streamlined as possible on BitU. Stories abound that they would practice for 6-7 hours a day and lived in a communal house where they would eat health food and go jogging together.
FWIW, I love BitU, paper-thin production and all. Great songs, great performances.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:50 pm

I like the originals on that record. I could happily live without the covers.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:53 pm

version sound wrote:I don't understand going from free jazz revolutionaries to retro '50s rockers. It just seems so trad and square considering their reputation as proto-punk radicals.

their crowd banter on that record is pretty embarrassing, to say the least. i can see what they were getting at, but trying to use the work honky like that just sounded so damn corny.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:56 pm

obik wrote:
version sound wrote:After that, I finally got to Kick Out The Jams, which I honestly wasn't expecting to like much, but holy shite, what a great friggin' record. I noticed more than one riff that the Stooges later stole. This leaves me wondering what the fuck happened to them? Did they just run out of material?

Yes, they ran out of material and called that album "Back In The USA." Luckily they got back on track and managed an entire ellpee's worth of fantastic songs for High Time.

Congrats, Obik. You just earned yourself a lunch, during which I will explain the MC5
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby danny » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:58 pm

i like all three of the records - but oddly enough, i like BitUSA every bit as much as KOtJ...though i've never liked that it lead off with Tutti Frutti. High Times is probably my least fave.

In the six degrees of separation department...swervedriver were playing detroit in 92, so during sound check we decided to run through looking at you. rob tyner's wife was actually preparing the meal for us at the club (we didn't know that when we did the song...we might have tried playing it better if we had!). She came up and introduced herself and said she really liked our version and appreciated that we played it. i guess rob had died the year before that, so it was probably still fresh in her mind. anyway - she made a tasty vegetarian meal for us...and it was probably the most healthy meal we had on our 3 month tour.
danny

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:59 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
obik wrote:

Congrats, Obik. You just earned yourself a lunch, during which I will explain the MC5

But who will take you to lunch and the explain how the "quote" function works around here?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby pedro » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:00 pm

scannest wrote:But who will take you to lunch and the explain how the "quote" function works around here?

Target.
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:13 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
obik wrote:

But who will take you to lunch and the explain how the "quote" function works around here?

Cut me some slack -- I'm posting from an iPhone.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:18 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Cut me some slack -- I'm posting from an iPhone.

DENIED. I'm posting from an Android which is, additionally, a piece of garbage.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:21 pm

version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:Cut me some slack -- I'm posting from an iPhone.

DENIED. I'm posting from an Android which is, additionally, a piece of garbage.

Baby, you are sexxxxay when you're being fierce. Do this more often, okay?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby drew » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:21 pm

I love all three LP's and even some of the alt. versions on "Babes In Arms" & some of the collections......
"Back in the USA" is great cause the tunes are great but Landau deserved to be beaten for the production. But they screwed themselves by trying to start a Revolutionary Party "The White Panthers" and got the cops looking at everything they did. After Sinclair got arrested it was just a matter of time before it all blew up.
The Sonic Rendevous Band is great too....
drew

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:40 pm

obik wrote:

Didjalissentoo Thunder Express? I actually figgered you'd loathe Kick Out The Jams for the hippydippy factor and jamminess, but might've liked Thunder Express because it tightens up some of that material...

I think High Time is definitely their best album sound-wise (VS is completely right about the guitar one), but Back in the USA is their best material-wise. I mean seriously, obik, "American Ruse" and "Human Being Lawnmower" are incredible.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:44 pm

obik wrote:

Lotsa people blame the two Johns: John Sinclair for getting locked up, and John Landau for "managing" the band into wholesome all-american-rock-n-roll.

Landau, in case you didn't know, is the man who would be responsible for Bruce Springsteen.

He wasn't "responsible" for Bruce Springsteen as he only came in during the late '70s after Springsteen's was screwed over by his previous manager. Yes, Landau did write the famous "I've seen the future of rock and roll..." line before managing Springsteen, but Springsteen already had 2 albums out before Landau took over.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:45 pm

version sound wrote:I like the originals on that record. I could happily live without the covers.

I feel the same way, actually. I don't mind the covers, but they are just kinda there.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:47 pm

drew wrote:I love all three LP's and even some of the alt. versions on "Babes In Arms" & some of the collections......
"Back in the USA" is great cause the tunes are great but Landau deserved to be beaten for the production. But they screwed themselves by trying to start a Revolutionary Party "The White Panthers" and got the cops looking at everything they did. After Sinclair got arrested it was just a matter of time before it all blew up.
The Sonic Rendevous Band is great too....

Completely on point...I will say that some of the versions on Babes in Arms are superior to the ones on the albums IMO.
JGJR

Postby obik » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:48 pm

JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:

I think High Time is definitely their best album sound-wise (VS is completely right about the guitar one), but Back in the USA is their best material-wise. I mean seriously, obik, "American Ruse" and "Human Being Lawnmower" are incredible.

Yeah. And you put those two songs on the bonus 45 that comes with the Kick Out The Jams / High Time double LP. Everything else on Back In The USA is disposable at best, offensive at worst.

Did you not read what I wrote?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:50 pm

obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:

Yeah. And you put those two songs on the bonus 45 that comes with the Kick Out The Jams / High Time double LP. Everything else on Back In The USA is disposable at best, offensive at worst.

Did you not read what I wrote?

I read it. At least we agree on which songs are best on Back in the USA. I don't think it's really a debate, honestly. Why do you say offensive, though?
JGJR

Postby obik » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:51 pm

JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:Landau, in case you didn't know, is the man who would be responsible for Bruce Springsteen.

He wasn't "responsible" for Bruce Springsteen as he only came in during the late '70s after Springsteen's was screwed over by his previous manager. Yes, Landau did write the famous "I've seen the future of rock and roll..." line before managing Springsteen, but Springsteen already had 2 albums out before Landau took over.

And if Landau had never seen Bruce Springsteen, the world would be a much better place. A world where Bruce Springsteen wound up pumping gas and huffing the fumes of icouldabeenacontendahood instead of making albums...
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby obik » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:57 pm

JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Why do you say offensive, though?

Tutti Frutti? Third lamest cover version ever (which is really saying something, given how many shitty covers there've been of that song). It's not just limp and lifeless and lame, it's offensive. It's sacrilegious. It's Kenny G covering Sun Ra.

And Back In The USA? Christ. If covering Little Richard didn't make for an embarrassing enough comparison, they had to drug out and mutilate Chuck Berry. Fuck 'em.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:50 pm

obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Tutti Frutti? Third lamest cover version ever (which is really saying something, given how many shitty covers there've been of that song). It's not just limp and lifeless and lame, it's offensive. It's sacrilegious. It's Kenny G covering Sun Ra.

And Back In The USA? Christ. If covering Little Richard didn't make for an embarrassing enough comparison, they had to drug out and mutilate Chuck Berry. Fuck 'em.

Totally not what I thought you were gonna say...like I said before, those covers are OK, just a lot less interesting than some of the original material on that album.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:49 pm

If Hunter thinks BitUSA is good, other than the songs mentioned, he really does need to buy obik lunch and learn a little about the MC5 and music in general.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Totally not what I thought you were gonna say...like I said before, those covers are OK, just a lot less interesting than some of the original material on that album.

So...what did you think I was going to say?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:15 pm

version sound wrote:If Hunter thinks BitUSA is good, other than the songs mentioned, he really does need to buy obik lunch and learn a little about the MC5 and music in general.

Seriously? I was in Youth Brigade* and your favorite band is The Kills. There aren't enough lunches in the world to help you.

* For 7 weeks. As an understudy.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:18 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
version sound wrote:If Hunter thinks BitUSA is good, other than the songs mentioned, he really does need to buy obik lunch and learn a little about the MC5 and music in general.

Seriously? I was in Youth Brigade* and your favorite band is The Kills. There aren't enough lunches in the world to help you.

* For 7 weeks. As an understudy.

And P.S, screw you, I was in Rocket from the Tombs.*

*Okay, it was a David Thomas side project. And it lasted for one gig.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm not even quite sure who the Kills are. Are they they same as the Killers?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:30 pm

version sound wrote:I'm not even quite sure who the Kills are. Are they they same as the Killers?

Why are you asking me? They're YOUR favorite band. You're always raving about that Sune woman in like every other thread.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:55 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:*Okay, it was a David Thomas side project. And it lasted for one gig.

Do tell!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:56 am

obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:

So...what did you think I was going to say?

I was talking about the MC5 with a friend of mine a few months ago and he was going on about how potentially offensive a song like "Teenage Lust" could be so I thought maybe you'd say that as well.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:19 am

JGJR wrote:I was talking about the MC5 with a friend of mine a few months ago and he was going on about how potentially offensive a song like "Teenage Lust" could be so I thought maybe you'd say that as well.

Buy me lunch sometime and I'll explain obik to you.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:28 am

If people are doling out free lunches I will take one!

What album was "Looking at You" on or was it just a single? That's my favorite MC5 song but I heard the Damned version first (and love it), many years before I'd finally get around to picking up any MC5 records.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:32 am

MXV wrote:If people are doling out free lunches I will take one!

What album was "Looking at You" on or was it just a single? That's my favorite MC5 song but I heard the Damned version first (and love it), many years before I'd finally get around to picking up any MC5 records.

The amazing version was an early single, but there's a lame re-recorded version on Back in the USA.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:39 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:I was talking about the MC5 with a friend of mine a few months ago and he was going on about how potentially offensive a song like "Teenage Lust" could be so I thought maybe you'd say that as well.

Is that offer open to anyone?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby obik » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:46 am

version sound wrote:

The amazing version was an early single, but there's a lame re-recorded version on Back in the USA.

Both early singles are also bonus tracks on some versions of Thunder Express. Needle drop, but sounding pretty good nonetheless.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 am

obik wrote:
version sound wrote:

Depends on what's on the table for lunch (pun intended).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:15 pm

version sound wrote:
obik wrote:
version sound wrote:

You can have whatever I leave on the plate.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby drew » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Great version of that on "The Big Bang: The Best of MC5" on Rhino which is the absolute best hits record of theirs. It has singles & the best songs from all three albums.
drew

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:27 pm

obik wrote:
version sound wrote:
obik wrote:
version sound wrote:

You should take me to lunch so I can explain taking people to lunch to you.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:34 pm

version sound wrote:
obik wrote:
version sound wrote:
obik wrote:
version sound wrote:

You should take me to lunch so I can explain taking people to lunch to you.

Good idea. I'm really hungry though, so I hope you've already eaten.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:38 pm

JGJR wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:*Okay, it was a David Thomas side project. And it lasted for one gig.

Do tell!

Not much to tell. It was a one-off gig. We played a bunch of Pere Ubu tunes and some of his solo stuff. We sounded good considering we rehearsed with him once. He's the only non-guitar-playing singer I've encountered who can identify what time signature and key a song is in.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby obik » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:39 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote: He's the only non-guitar-playing singer I've encountered who can identify what time signature and key a song is in.

The correct identifications are--obviously--"out of" and "off".
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:10 pm

This is pretty much my exact experience (i.e. hearing The Damned's version way before I heard the original). I played The Damned's version yesterday as I made a Spotify playlist of punk/post-punk covers of classic rock songs (yes I stretched the definition of classic rock a bit).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:12 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Do tell!

Not much to tell. It was a one-off gig. We played a bunch of Pere Ubu tunes and some of his solo stuff. We sounded good considering we rehearsed with him once. He's the only non-guitar-playing singer I've encountered who can identify what time signature and key a song is in.

Uh, for starters, how did you end up playing with him?
JGJR

Postby obik » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:36 pm

JGJR wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Do tell!

Charlie Harper lost an entire lineup of the UK Subs to David Thomas in a poker game.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby JGJR » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:27 pm

obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Do tell!

Charlie Harper lost an entire lineup of the UK Subs to David Thomas in a poker game.

OK, but the real question is how he balanced his bass playing duties in Napalm Death and Dag Nasty with practicing his dunking skills all while playing with David Thomas. That is quite impressive. :lol:
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse