The MC5 Fully Evaluated

Re: The MC5 Fully Evaluated

Postby version sound » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:04 pm

I hate to get back on topic, but does anyone have the first two MC5 singles from the masters rather than needle drop? I think the A-Square comp that came out a few years ago had at least the second single.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:06 pm

version sound wrote:I hate to get back on topic, but does anyone have the first two MC5 singles from the masters rather than needle drop? I think the A-Square comp that came out a few years ago had at least the second single.

It does, but I have no idea if it's from the masters or not.

Motor City's Burning (Alive/Total Energy comp) has "Looking At You" from the master tape (explicitly identified as such).

Human Being Lawnmower (on Alive/Total Energy) has an alt mix of "Borderline" (which I think was also on one of the other Alive/TE releases).

'66 Breakout has a decent needle drop of "One Of The Guys" and a rough needle drop of "I Can Only Give You Everything."

Alive/TE also did a vinyl EP with both singles, I think, but I have no idea whether they were needle drops or not. I never bothered to buy a copy.

Anyone know where the Rhino Big Bang versions of "I Can Only Give You Everything" and "Looking At You" came from?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby version sound » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:21 pm

"Looking at You" is supposed to be the A-Square version, but the sample on iTunes is clearly the Back in the USA version.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:01 am

I remember the first time I heard 'Looking At You' and thinking it sounded better than the Damned, which of course I'd heard years before.

American Ruse was always a favourite for me. Was just spinning Back in the USA.
Welly

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:42 am

The original fuzz'n'feedback version of "Looking at You" is one of the best songs ever.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:14 pm

JGJR wrote:I think High Time is definitely their best album sound-wise (VS is completely right about the guitar one), but Back in the USA is their best material-wise. I mean seriously, obik, "American Ruse" and "Human Being Lawnmower" are incredible.

I just made a playlist of the three MC5 albums. I was rockin' out to KOTJ when Poopy Toopy Froopy came on and I scrambled to find the player and skip to the next song. I made it approximately three seconds into every other song on Back In The USA before skipping to the next track. Back In The USA really is a piece of shit record.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Previous

Return to daghouse