'What's in my Bag'?

'What's in my Bag'?

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:55 pm

Anyone follow this series on You Tube, where all the hip musicians talk about what records they're buying at Amoeba Records in California?

Pretty cool series, though I'd rather stick a scissor in my ears for an hour than listen to J Mascis speak for 3 minutes.

I went to that record store once in the 80's and it was totally great. I dropped like $150 there, which was a lot for my budget at the time.
xxxMidgexxx

Re: 'What's in my Bag'?

Postby obik » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Garbage bags, rubber gloves, gaffer tape, flashlight. Thanks for asking.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:29 pm

obik wrote:Garbage bags, rubber gloves, gaffer tape, flashlight. Thanks for asking.

I see what you did there. Very clever. No, really.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:32 pm

I've seen a bunch of them. It's usually musicians trying to show how obscure the stuff they listen to is though.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:05 pm

gregpolard wrote:I've seen a bunch of them. It's usually musicians trying to show how obscure the stuff they listen to is though.

I've seen a few of them. The only one that springs to mind now is the Vivian Girls one. It was a mix of some more obscure stuff and really well-known artists like Fleetwood Mac (I think Katy picked out a vinyl copy of Rumours and said her bass playing was heavily influenced by "The Chain"), so with them I didn't find that to be the case, but I'd have to watch it again.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:25 pm

The Redd Kross guys had some interesting records and Keith Morris seemed clued in.

Lee Ranaldo and Grohl had some really good old records.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse