Sweetbelly Freakdown - all purpose thread

Re: Sweetbelly Freakdown - all purpose thread

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:33 pm

matt wrote:HI GUYS! Guess what? People have different tastes! And definitions of musical genres are largely subjective! WHOA! I know, right?!?

If you want to fight to the death proving that your definition of punk is the definitive one, go right ahead. But if you're over 16 years old, don't be surprised if you get mocked for it... maybe by me.

Oh, and I love Sweetbelly Freakdown, Swiz, AND Jawbreaker. Crazy.

How do you feel about Dorian?
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby matt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:43 pm

I loathe him.
matt
Site Admin

Postby clash77 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I'm not sure..Is this thread a discussion about the band mentioned in the subject or about the definition of Punk??
clash77

Postby JGJR » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm with our esteemed moderator here regarding debating the definition of punk and who fits it and who doesn't. What was that (appropriately enough )Jawbreaker lyric "1-2-3-4 who's punk, what's the score?" I don't give a shit.

I will say that I really loved the first two Jets to Brazil albums in the late '90s and early '00s. I have listened to the first one in recent years and I think it actually still holds up, but haven't heard the 2nd one in a while. The less said about the 3rd, the better. But then again, I think JTB could use their own thread here.

I just don't understand what the heck they would have in common with a band like Sweetbelly Freakdown other than the label, though. i haven't spent that much time with the SF Lp, but I remember it being like a more post-hardcore version of Swiz. I don't know what Welly was smoking back then.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:37 pm

clash77 wrote:I'm not sure..Is this thread a discussion about the band mentioned in the subject or about the definition of Punk??

It was intended as a thread for apreciation, not a challenge. I am sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, guys. I am 100% neutral on Jawbreaker, I just can't resist baiting my friend JGJR sometimes. They are completely punk rock if you guys say so. Other than listening to some of their records based on you guys' general enthusiasm for them, I pretend to know nothing about them. If you guys want to start a Jawbreaker thread, feel free, but this isn't it. As for debating what is and isn't punk, we've been there way too many times already. You are all entitled to your own definitions, but let's just keep them to ourselves, m'kay?

So, let's start fresh with a revision of my general thesis. Sweetbelly Freakdown were quite alright. If you haven't listened to them since the '90s, I heartily encourage you to revisit their body of work at your leisure. You might thank me, or you might still hate it. Either way, we'll all feel good about it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby clash77 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:46 pm

version sound wrote:
clash77 wrote:I'm not sure..Is this thread a discussion about the band mentioned in the subject or about the definition of Punk??

It was intended as a thread for apreciation, not a challenge. I am sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, guys. I am 100% neutral on Jawbreaker, I just can't resist baiting my friend JGJR sometimes. They are completely punk rock if you guys say so. Other than listening to some of their records based on you guys' general enthusiasm for them, I pretend to know nothing about them. If you guys want to start a Jawbreaker thread, feel free, but this isn't it. As for debating what is and isn't punk, we've been there way too many times already. You are all entitled to your own definitions, but let's just keep them to ourselves, m'kay?

So, let's start fresh with a revision of my general thesis. Sweetbelly Freakdown were quite alright. If you haven't listened to them since the '90s, I heartily encourage you to revisit their body of work at your leisure. You might thank me, or you might still
hate it. Either way, we'll all feel good about it.
ok good enough for me..
clash77

Postby Welly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:42 am

JGJR wrote:I just don't understand what the heck they would have in common with a band like Sweetbelly Freakdown other than the label, though. i haven't spent that much time with the SF Lp, but I remember it being like a more post-hardcore version of Swiz. I don't know what Welly was smoking back then.

You missed my point, as usual. :roll:
Welly

Postby Welly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:47 am

matt wrote:HI GUYS! Guess what? People have different tastes! And definitions of musical genres are largely subjective! WHOA! I know, right?!?

If you want to fight to the death proving that your definition of punk is the definitive one, go right ahead. But if you're over 16 years old, don't be surprised if you get mocked for it... maybe by me.

No fuckin' way! I take that general comment as a personal slight against me. If it was anyone else my wounded fragile ego would dictate I call you a fuckin' asshole. But you get a pass.

Welly

Postby JGJR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:59 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:I just don't understand what the heck they would have in common with a band like Sweetbelly Freakdown other than the label, though. i haven't spent that much time with the SF Lp, but I remember it being like a more post-hardcore version of Swiz. I don't know what Welly was smoking back then.

Hey now...I re-read your comment and yeah that's my fault. I completely misread it as I was tired, it was late, etc. (excuses excuses I know). Anyway, I agree with you. SF should be compared more to other bands of their time period and yeah on that level they were definitely more of a traditional hardcore/punk/whatever band than a band like JTB. I have listened to JTB way more, though, so take that for what you will. :lol:
JGJR

Postby Welly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:02 am

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:

Hey now...I re-read your comment and yeah that's my fault. I completely misread it as I was tired, it was late, etc. (excuses excuses I know). Anyway, I agree with you. SF should be compared more to other bands of their time period and yeah on that level they were definitely more of a traditional hardcore/punk/whatever band than a band like JTB. I have listened to JTB way more, though, so take that for what you will. :lol:

That's quite alright. I take that you listened to a lot of JTB as your age, as I guess it's about right for people who appreciated the drivel of the emo era. :D
Welly

Postby JGJR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:05 am

Welly wrote:That's quite alright. I take that you listened to a lot of JTB as your age, as I guess it's about right for people who appreciated the drivel of the emo era. :D

Admittedly, you're right. The first few JTB records are pretty perfect records for early to mid 20s (my age at the time those records came out) post-hardcore folks and navel gazing. :lol:

If it raises your estimation of me a little, I have listened to Swiz more than either JTB or SF, though (way more, I think, actually). :lol:
JGJR

Postby Welly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:14 am

JGJR wrote:If it raises your estimation of me a little, I have listened to Swiz more than either JTB or SF, though (way more, I think, actually). :lol:

You can listen to what you like mate. I'm just messing.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:32 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:If it raises your estimation of me a little, I have listened to Swiz more than either JTB or SF, though (way more, I think, actually). :lol:

You can listen to what you like mate. I'm just messing.

So am I. As you would say, I don't ALWAYS need to get an emoticon on my posts, do I? :lol:
JGJR

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:19 am

On a Swiz website I made years ago, I had a sub-section with a Sweetbelly Freakdown interview in which they actually talk about playing with current NYHC bands and how weird it was and how old and out of place they felt. I think they were talking about bands having merch like pens and 12 types of shirts and how it just didn't make sense. You cavemen seemed focus way too much on the volume and tempo instead of the power that comes from doing what you like, which is always way more punk, to me at least.

EDIT: Interview tidbit was from my dodgy memory, so might be off. I'm old slow and strange, but I'll look for the interview. Anyways, I think it's kind punk to play with current punk bands and think "What the fuck am I doing here?"
FlexMyHead

Postby gregpolard » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:52 am

VS started it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:13 am

gregpolard wrote:VS started it.

Nope. I just did some standard messageboard shit talk. Get with it guys.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:33 am

Also, WTF makes Sweetbelly (or anyone) "post-hardcore"? Sounds like something made up by dudes who review records. I get Swiz, Sweetbelly and Red Hare songs mixed up in my mind, which says to me that they can't really be that different.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:39 am

version sound wrote:Also, WTF makes Sweetbelly (or anyone) "post-hardcore"? Sounds like something made up by dudes who review records. I get Swiz, Sweetbelly and Red Hare songs mixed up in my mind, which says to me that they can't really be that different.

Red Hare are actually post-post-hardcore.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:00 am

version sound wrote:Also, WTF makes Sweetbelly (or anyone) "post-hardcore"? Sounds like something made up by dudes who review records.

Exactly, shitty terminology. Doesn't exist, like 'rare merch' or 'street punk'. It's just another thing for idiots to sub-sub-divide so they think they own a part of something they weren't around to witness.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:45 pm

to be fair, i have heard post hardcore used for a long time. it was pretty prevalent in zines in the 90s when they were talking about texas is the reason and boring bands like that.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:20 pm

I'm gonna have to dig out the lp and listen to it again. I always thought it was good,but not close to Swiz.
Gary

Postby JGJR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:49 pm

version sound wrote:Also, WTF makes Sweetbelly (or anyone) "post-hardcore"? Sounds like something made up by dudes who review records. I get Swiz, Sweetbelly and Red Hare songs mixed up in my mind, which says to me that they can't really be that different.

Of course they're not as they contain almost the exact same personnel (I think target was in SF and I know he is not in RH) as well as a similar sound. As for the "post-hardcore" tag, it's one of those things like punk or emo or whatever that can mean different things in different contexts. In this one, though, I mean that they sound like a natural extension of what Swiz was doing on With Dave and added some Fugazi-like elements (again I haven't listened to SF in a while). Generally, though, post-hardcore (at least to me) means bands with folks who came out of the hardcore scene but who experiment with different kinds of music (that is generally still heavy, intense, etc.) instead of playing straight-up hardcore. I know it's vague, though.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:51 pm

yourenotevil wrote:to be fair, i have heard post hardcore used for a long time. it was pretty prevalent in zines in the 90s when they were talking about texas is the reason and boring bands like that.

It was used way before that to describe bands like Fugazi, Quicksand, maybe even Soulside, et al.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Gary wrote:I'm gonna have to dig out the lp and listen to it again. I always thought it was good,but not close to Swiz.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I'll have to revisit.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:57 pm

JGJR wrote:Generally, though, post-hardcore (at least to me) means bands with folks who came out of the hardcore scene but who experiment with different kinds of music (that is generally still heavy, intense, etc.) instead of playing straight-up hardcore.

Soooo... fucking everyone then? Thanks for reinforcing my point. :D
Welly

Postby version sound » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:33 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:to be fair, i have heard post hardcore used for a long time. it was pretty prevalent in zines in the 90s when they were talking about texas is the reason and boring bands like that.

It was used way before that to describe bands like Fugazi, Quicksand, maybe even Soulside, et al.

Never heard it in the '80s.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:00 pm

JGJR wrote:

well, i wasn't reading a zine in the 80s, but i definitely heard those bands being labeled as that in the same kinds of publications in the 90s as well. i think post punk was around in the 80s, but i don't know if ppl used the term post hc.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:50 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Me neither. It was all hardcore back then.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:55 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

weren't people labeling stuff like embrace as emo? i thought i remember an interview from the late 80s where ian or guy got really mad at that label
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:00 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

weren't people labeling stuff like embrace as emo? i thought i remember an interview from the late 80s where ian or guy got really mad at that label

Yeah, people talked about "emo" from time to time but the term "post-hardcore" didn't exist.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:13 pm

I think the Revolution Summer issue of Flipside might have coined the term.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby plucky » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:23 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yeah, people talked about "emo" from time to time but the term "post-hardcore" didn't exist.

This is absolutely true. Some people threw around the term "emo" but I think a lot of us just dismissed it and accepted the music as just another version of hardcore (hardcore punk rock) or punk rock. I honestly don't remember hearing anything coined as "post hardcore" until mid to late 90s. To me, it was always just music.
plucky

Postby lewdd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:42 pm

I'm still not sure how the bands that invented punk rock got dismissed in this thread as not being punk rock and a band like Sweatbelly Breakdown did.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:25 am

lewdd wrote:I'm still not sure how the bands that invented punk rock got dismissed in this thread as not being punk rock and a band like Sweatbelly Breakdown did.

Who got dismissed? I’m definitely not re-reading anything here, so you’ll have to catch me up. My first guess would be that most bands with Shawn are better than most bands without Shawn.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:44 am

Some guy named version sound said the Sex Pistols and Buzzcocks were not punk.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:07 am

I forgot how frustrating this thread was.

Also I rescind my comment about Jets to Brazil - about a year after this thread started I randomly started listening to all three albums - all killer.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:13 am

lewdd wrote:Some guy named version sound said the Sex Pistols and Buzzcocks were not punk.

Oh, I stand by that 100%
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:14 pm

version sound wrote:
lewdd wrote:Some guy named version sound said the Sex Pistols and Buzzcocks were not punk.

Oh, I stand by that 100%

:roll:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 pm

I wonder if yourenotevil will ever come back
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:22 pm

gregpolard wrote:I wonder if yourenotevil will ever come back

I fucking hope not!
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:25 pm

lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I wonder if yourenotevil will ever come back

I fucking hope not!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:29 pm

Operative statement is still operative.

BAIN wrote:time for everyone to walk away from this troll thread
jaybird

Previous

Return to daghouse